Votes: 164 88.6%
  • No

Votes: 21 11.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

qip

Flashlight Enthusiast
just curious as im sure thousands have been sold by now and a sample size is good...do you have a preflash ?

i for one do not have a preflash but everyone else says they do so i cant be that lucky

cmon everyone put the vote out, could be useful for when thinking of buying more quarks and seeing the odds of getting one with or without a preflash

from post below ,video

Last edited:

AnAppleSnail

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Poll: does your Quark have a preflash

If the light has been off for a while, Moonlight always has a very dim flash - even if Moonlight was the last level used. If I am in a bright mode, turn the light off, and turn it on in a lower one soon, it will momentarily be at the earlier mode. Not a big hassle really.

flasherByNight

Enlightened

I'm pretty sure they all do, it's more of a factor of whether or not it's perceptible/annoying to you.

csshih

Flashlight Enthusiast

I can get a turbo flash if I used turbo previously.. it goes down if I leave it sitting, though.

qip

Flashlight Enthusiast

I'm pretty sure they all do, it's more of a factor of whether or not it's perceptible/annoying to you.

i dont think they all have them ,i think some may have brighter flashes than others though..i had some videos posted before cycling mine and it didnt show, i also had another members video that showed a low 3 lumen flash and i see in 4sevens tactical quark demo video ,the flash in that seems bright

yes its personal preference if its tolerable or not but still curious on the odds

Linger

Flashlight Enthusiast

i dont think they all have them
Sorry, in this case you are incorrect. There are two versions of the same circuit (.9-4.2v, 3.0-9.0v). 4sevens has stated the flash is a artifact of circuit design(bugger me if I recall which of the thousands of quark posts it was, search preflash and design maybe?). Users can mitigate or accentuate the flash by altering pre-conditions to turning on the light. No-one has a 'worse' or 'better' light as far as pre-flash goes: simple fact, all have same circuit.

Well, here's one place it was.
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/posts/3043762&postcount=48

I know David responded to this as well and commented about the code that was used. There was a trace of the pre-flash shown in a related post.

Selfbuilt writes that Quark line has pre-flash
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/234960

Simple fix - if it bothers you, cover the lens during activation.

Last edited:

qip

Flashlight Enthusiast

Sorry, in this case you are incorrect. There are two versions of the same circuit (.9-4.2v, 3.0-9.0v). 4sevens has stated the flash is a artifact of circuit design(bugger me if I recall which of the thousands of quark posts it was, search preflash and design maybe?). Users can mitigate or accentuate the flash by altering pre-conditions to turning on the light. No-one has a 'worse' or 'better' light as far as pre-flash goes: simple fact, all have same circuit.

Well, here's one place it was.
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/posts/3043762&postcount=48

I know David responded to this as well and commented about the code that was used. There was a trace of the pre-flash shown in a related post.

Selfbuilt writes that Quark line has pre-flash
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/234960

im well aware of all this

Norm

Retired Administrator

I have a TI non tactical 123 with mild preflash and AA Tactical TI AA with bad preflash.
Norm

Th232

Flashlight Enthusiast

AA Tactical TI AA with bad preflash.

Big ditto on this. Funnily enough, the flash in mine can be of variable brightness even if I've been using the torch on moon mode for the last 48 hours and it hasn't been set to turbo at all during that period. For mine it seems that it's related to the time since the torch was last used, the longer you leave it, the brighter the preflash will be, all the way up to turbo.

B0wz3r

Flashlight Enthusiast

Maybe it's just me, but I don't see any preflash at all on my QAA2. As it should, it always starts up in moonlight mode (w/o the bezel tight of course) and I see no preflash when I turn it on, even in a completely dark room.

Moonshadow

Enlightened

Not tremendously helpful. Fair enough, some people will find it more bothersome than others, but for those who do, don't you think that having to stick their hand over the end every time they switch the dang thing on is going to be at least as annoying ?

The Moonlight mode is either there for a specific purpose - use in extremely dark situations - or just as a marketing thing. If it's intended seriously, it should work properly.

Norm

Retired Administrator

I have a TI non tactical 123 with mild preflash and AA Tactical TI AA with bad preflash.
Norm
I'll just add to my post. The flash doesn't bother me, the question was asked and I was simple responding.
Norm

rookiedaddy

Enlightened

My Q123²-TW pre-flashes/flicker in every mode other than MAX, it happens in every momentary press. Tried the reverse trick (loosen for Max, tighten for other mode), same results. :shrug: :sigh:
my QAA²-W however is normal, it only pre-flash if previous mode is Max/High.

Last edited:

Cataract

Flashlight Enthusiast
My Quark AA tactical has a pre-flash in only one condition:
I programmed high(not turbo) and moonlight. If I use high mode, turn it off for less than a certain amount of time (can't remember how long), turn the head for the moonmode, then turn it on, I get a pre-flash as strong as the previous setting.

It is very annoying, because I use it inside and outside of darkrooms and I have to go in and out avery few minutes at some point...

f22shift

Flashlight Enthusiast
you probably should have 4 options.
so you can discern the tactical and the non tactical ppl.

tactical here that will preflash the higher mode that it was shut off previously in. whatever the higher mode is. so it's more egrigous with a turbo/moonmode which will imitate a camera flash. i've learned to live with it. i wish they can work a solution.

jcw122

Enlightened
Yes, but it's not that big of a deal. 4Sevens said if they didn't have the pre-flash, it would affect other things that weren't worth having messed with.

pseudoblue

Newly Enlightened
I programmed high(not turbo) and moonlight. If I use high mode, turn it off for less than a certain amount of time (can't remember how long), turn the head for the moonmode, then turn it on, I get a pre-flash as strong as the previous setting...
Same experience as this.

Also, even when I switched it off at moonmode, I still get a preflash the next time I switched it on minutes or hours later.

However, I'm not annoyed by it.

pobox1475

Enlightened
I would have said no. But I just turned on my warm standard 123 while looking at the reflector and it did ever so briefly come on higher than moon. Never noticed it before. So I guess not an issue for me. Do the Tac's exhibit any abnormal flash behavior?

Status
Not open for further replies.