BlackBerry Storm Light (ie flash) Mini Review: Yea, I went there.

Search

Flashlight Enthusiast
Light: BlackBerry Storm
UI: Hit top left side button > Video Camera > Options > Flash: On
Guesstimated output: 5 lumens give or take
Runtime: TBD

It's a pretty solid built light. I mean, it's sometimes quicker to turn on than other lights. It's a pretty good light for EDCing. It's rechargeable too.

I'll check the voltage, get an idea on the type of LED, and do some runtime tests and maybe a graph soon.

Beamshots? Of a non flashlight? Yea, I went there:

DSC00009-1.jpg

Due to an epic camera fail where every picture I take claims to have incorrect parameters I cannot get anything else off of it nor am I allowed to delete pictures off of it.. I'll beat that problem away shortly.

Justintoxicated

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wish they would make it just a single button push, or at least make an app that would do it. So far all flashlight apps only turn on the dinky status LED.

PeaceOfMind

Enlightened
I used to have a phone that had a flashlight built in. And I'm not talking about using some other component of the phone (screen, flash, etc) as a flashlight, Im talking about it had a dedicated flashlight LED, and you could just hold one of the phone buttons to turn it on.

...those were good times.

MKLight

Enlightened
I wish they would make it just a single button push, or at least make an app that would do it. So far all flashlight apps only turn on the dinky status LED.

The Samsung Omnia does. You can also also set other buttons on it as shortcuts. You may be able to do that on the Storm or download a special app from the BB store...?

Search

Flashlight Enthusiast
There actually is a program that turns the flash on. It cost $1.99. I was looking for themes the other day and ran across it. Of course once in a while I'll be coming home and when I go upstairs I'll have my phone in one hand and a drink or something in the other so I'll just hit the video button for quick, bright, floody light. I never use the camera anyway so I've got it set for flash to always be on. No use putting it up and whipping out a flashlight to find the lamp.

gsxrac

Enlightened
Ive got a Casio Boulder and it has an LED built in. I used to use it alot... then I found CPF ;)

SFG2Lman

Enlightened
i can see it now..."i modded it with an SST-50, now its a flashlight with a built in phone!"

nbp

Flashaholic
The iphone has a flashlight app that basically just lights up the whole screen, and I believe you can cycle through a few colors: white, red, blue, green, for sure.

Edit: Punch in 'flashlight' in search bar at the top.

Last edited:

shark_za

Enlightened
My phone that I use for offroad riding (rugged one to stuff in the camelpack) is the Nokia 5500.
It has a dedicated torch function, just hit the * button and hold it a few seconds.
5550-in-hand.jpg

Narcosynthesis

Newly Enlightened
I know my old Sony Ericsson had the option to use the 'flash' led's as a torch - you could program a few of the buttons to open certain menus or activate functions, so I had one set to turn on the light.

Not exactly a replacement for a 'proper' light, but a handy backup considering it is always there on your phone...

Sadly my current Nokia (of which I cannot remember the name, 6xxx of some form) lacks the flash/torch.

outersquare

Enlightened
Light: BlackBerry Storm
UI: Hit top left side button > Video Camera > Options > Flash: On
Guesstimated output: 5 lumens give or take
Runtime: TBD

It's a pretty solid built light. I mean, it's sometimes quicker to turn on than other lights. It's a pretty good light for EDCing. It's rechargeable too.

I'll check the voltage, get an idea on the type of LED, and do some runtime tests and maybe a graph soon.

Beamshots? Of a non flashlight? Yea, I went there:

Due to an epic camera fail where every picture I take claims to have incorrect parameters I cannot get anything else off of it nor am I allowed to delete pictures off of it.. I'll beat that problem away shortly.

unfortunately, the rest of the phone is dog squeeze

Justintoxicated

Flashlight Enthusiast
unfortunately, the rest of the phone is dog squeeze

Not anymore, just flashed to the 5.0 firmware which was just released and its like having a whole new phone.

The interface is much better and I haven't experienced any lag like it used to do. It's blazing fast now!

Justintoxicated

Flashlight Enthusiast
The iphone has a flashlight app that basically just lights up the whole screen, and I believe you can cycle through a few colors: white, red, blue, green, for sure.

Edit: Punch in 'flashlight' in search bar at the top.

I have that application for the storm. However the screen is not even close to as bright as the LED! The problem seems to be that the flash usage is left out of the code API so developers don't have access to it's functionality.

outersquare

Enlightened
Not anymore, just flashed to the 5.0 firmware which was just released and its like having a whole new phone.

The interface is much better and I haven't experienced any lag like it used to do. It's blazing fast now!

mine has been flashed, yes it is better, but the screen/click interface still blows as does the internet browser.

they half fixed it in time for my contract to be over and shop for another phone..

day late and dollar short..

tsmith35

Newly Enlightened
Perhaps it would be fun to take an old/obsolete phone and gut it, then replace it with a pair of 18650s, driver, and SST-50 or SST-90.

Justintoxicated

Flashlight Enthusiast
mine has been flashed, yes it is better, but the screen/click interface still blows as does the internet browser.

they half fixed it in time for my contract to be over and shop for another phone..

day late and dollar short..

interesting, I like the screen click interface. Web browser works ok, but it can use some improvement for sure.

Search

Flashlight Enthusiast
During the very brief time I've spent at crackberry downloading every leaked OS from .75 (one of the firsts) I've found that many people are having very different experiences.

Everything works wonderfully with the new OS, which happens to be an official released by Verizon, finally.

Like I said, the software works perfectly, it's very responsive now. Hardware is the same. My clicker is a clickin away.

Sadly, others seem to get duds. The quality control behind the Storm is fail. I'm lucky mine was a good one.