Nitecore D10 as bright as EX10?

prisoner6

Newly Enlightened
I was planning on getting the EX10, but ran across some Eneloops at Costco and am leaning towards a D10. Looking at the stats, it states the same upper limit of brightness, just shorter runtime. Is this the case? I always thought 1x AA lights would be a little less bright than 1x 123 lights. The Quark lights have much different outputs between the two. I don't necessarily need them to be the same, but am curious if they are close.

Gunner12

Flashaholic
The D10 also works with the 14500 Li-ion battery, which could be where that similar output comes from. With primaries, the D10 should be dimmer then the EX10.

HKJ

Flashaholic
I was planning on getting the EX10, but ran across some Eneloops at Costco and am leaning towards a D10. Looking at the stats, it states the same upper limit of brightness, just shorter runtime. Is this the case? I always thought 1x AA lights would be a little less bright than 1x 123 lights. The Quark lights have much different outputs between the two. I don't necessarily need them to be the same, but am curious if they are close.

The two lights uses the same circuit, i.e. on LiIon they have the same brightness. But running the D10 on NiMH and EX10 on CR123, the EX10 will be much brighter.

prisoner6

Newly Enlightened
So is the D10 using Eneloops still fairly viable as a light source? What kind of output should I expect?

Gunner12

Flashaholic
That depends on what you are trying to light up, how far away it is, and how much you want it lit up.

jblackwood

Enlightened
Don't forget to consider how each light feels in your hand. I don't have an EX10 so I can't help you with a direct comparison, but I DO have four Quarks. Two of them are AA and the other two are CR123. Of the 2 cell models, the 2xAA fit in my hand much better. Or course, I've got pretty small hands so YMMV. I know I like how my D10's fit in my hands as well, though.

crazyk4952

Newly Enlightened
So is the D10 using Eneloops still fairly viable as a light source? What kind of output should I expect?

I EDC a D10 and use it with eneloops on a regular basis. I use it for probably about 5 - 10 minutes per day and have to change the battery about once per week. It is definately bright enough for taking the dog out at night and for finding things in dark corners.

I do not have an EX10, so I cannot compare the D10 to this. The main reason that I went with the D10 is that I can use NiMH AA batteries so I can use the light without worrying about how much the batteries cost.

yowzer

Enlightened
I EDC a D10 and use it with eneloops on a regular basis. I use it for probably about 5 - 10 minutes per day and have to change the battery about once per week. It is definately bright enough for taking the dog out at night and for finding things in dark corners.

I use mine about the same amount a day, maybe a bit less, and charge the battery every month or two when I remember. Never had a battery actually get used up. But then, I mostly use it in the lower 25% of its output range...

Henk_Lu

Flashlight Enthusiast
By now I have 1 x D10 at home and 2 x EX10. I couldn't compare them, the D10 has no working light engine for the moment and the time it worked the only EX10 I had was an R2, the D10 had a Q5. The D10 (special edition Sunspot will get a Q3-5A now)

According to official data, both should have 130 (Q5) and 145 (R2) Lumens, D10 & EX10! :confused:

What I noticed, comparing the EX-Q5 to the EX-R2 that it is a huge difference! It's not only 15 Lumen more, it's like at least 50% brightness more, tighter hotspot, much brighter too, brighter spill. Maybe my R2 is a terribly good one and the Q5 a terribly bad one (special edition Magma).

I should get a D10-R2 each day now, so I can compare if tehy are the same or not in brightness. Nitecore doesn't talk about Li-Ion in the D10, what they claim is the same output for longer runtime versus a NiMh or an alkaline... :shrug:

joepa150

Newly Enlightened
By now I have 1 x D10 at home and 2 x EX10. I couldn't compare them, the D10 has no working light engine for the moment and the time it worked the only EX10 I had was an R2, the D10 had a Q5. The D10 (special edition Sunspot will get a Q3-5A now)

According to official data, both should have 130 (Q5) and 145 (R2) Lumens, D10 & EX10! :confused:

What I noticed, comparing the EX-Q5 to the EX-R2 that it is a huge difference! It's not only 15 Lumen more, it's like at least 50% brightness more, tighter hotspot, much brighter too, brighter spill. Maybe my R2 is a terribly good one and the Q5 a terribly bad one (special edition Magma).

I should get a D10-R2 each day now, so I can compare if tehy are the same or not in brightness. Nitecore doesn't talk about Li-Ion in the D10, what they claim is the same output for longer runtime versus a NiMh or an alkaline... :shrug:

So what is brighter. The D10-R2 or your EX-Q5. How about the D10-r2 vs the EX-R2?

Henk_Lu

Flashlight Enthusiast
Meanwhile much has happened :

- My Q5 were modded to Q3 warm whites
- I got several EX10 & D10
- I began with li-ion.

If you run the D10 on a 14500, it is much brighter than on an AA and equals the EX10. The beams are about the same. I wouldn't buy any light with a Q5, today there are only R2 available in new lights, XR-E and XP-E, I don't see much difference between them.

The only reason to preffer the EX10 would be the smaller size of the light. If you plan to take the lights apart, the EX10 is much easier to handle than the D10 as you remove the reflector and light engine via the unscewed bezel while everything is screwed in the head in the D10.

jslappa

Enlightened
Out of all my D10's and EX10's, I also love my modded Q3 5A. I'll be pulling it to put in another Sunspot D10 I grabbed from the MP, adding a slotted piston with green trit, and running an AW 14500 in it.

Henk Lu is right though, on rechargeable lithiums, they'll be nearly the same brightness, so long as the emitters are the same. 99% of the time, the R2 will be brighter than the Q5, all other things being equal. There really is no reason to get the Q5, unless you are collecting the different stock emitters.

I have about 15 out for new paintjobs, but this is their home
DSC_0009-1.jpg

Cartman

Newly Enlightened

I have to agree. I picked up some EX10 R2's for gifts and the one I, umm, haven't given away, is noticeably brighter than my EX10 GD (not Q5).

hyperloop

Flashlight Enthusiast
i do not own a D10 (yet) as i have other AA lights but unless they're both running on lithium ions, i would believe that the EX10 on an RCR123 would be noticeably brighter than a D10 on an eneloop. I'm basing this on comparisons between my EX10 R2 on an RCR123 vs my Jet I Pro v2.0 on max using an eneloop.

My EX10 GDP is on its way home after repairs (threads on the head broke) and i'll be seeing which is brighter between the R2 and GD but i would also say that my EX10 GDP is brighter than my Jet I on an eneloop. I like the size of the EX10, it's amazingly bright for such a small package and i like that i can just access max and min with a few clicks with ramping just a click and hold away.

Henk_Lu

Flashlight Enthusiast
On an Eneloop, the D10 is less bright of course than with a 14500. It's bright enough though and a good choice if you don't wanna use CR123A and are not into li-ions. It will be a tick brighter on an Energizer L91, I use those cell on each of my lights which are not EDCed.

On the picture jslappa posted, I see my all time favorite, it's not a D10 and to be correct not an EX10 either, it just uses its light engines : The EX10 Titanium "Fatty" from Kuku427. This light is longer than the stock EX10 and it has a terribly good beam thanks to the fat head with the large reflector. The hotspot features a very bright center surrounded by a less brighter corona, the spill is good as well. I have now two of those, one with a Q3-5C and one with an R2.

Jslappa, I surely hope to see some pictures after your lights return from paintjobs, I'm very curious about it. I own 3 of the splashed versions (D10 Sunspot, EX10 Magma and an EX10 orange/blue, received from Swissbianco). Besides those, I also got a D10 camo, I'm, still waiting for B@rt to offer 8x2mm trits.

The R2 are much brighter than the GDP versions, while those ones have the smoother beam. I was lucky enough to find an EX10 and a D10 GDP for my collection, but I still don't see any interest to have a Q5 in any of the lights, I suppose mine were especially dim and they had an awfull tint, slightly greenish.

This discussion should be in Zeruels' tribute thread! :D

jslappa

Enlightened
Jslappa, I surely hope to see some pictures after your lights return from paintjobs, I'm very curious about it. I own 3 of the splashed versions (D10 Sunspot, EX10 Magma and an EX10 orange/blue, received from Swissbianco). Besides those, I also got a D10 camo, I'm, still waiting for B@rt to offer 8x2mm trits. :D

Do let me know if you ever want to sell or trade that Orange/Blue EX10!!!!
As for the paintjobs, they are being Cerakoted in 6 different colors at the gun shop that has coated two of my Sig Sauer pistols. The finish is extremely durable, and looks fabulous when professionally done. over 1,000 rounds through one P226, and no wear marks yet. For my lights, I think the colors are:
1. Coyote Tan
2. Flat Dark Earth
3. Blue Titanium
4. Desert Sand
5. pink
6. Foliage Green

If I remember, I'll add the pics here in this thread, but they'll definitely be added to Zeruel's tribute thread.