3xAA light, surprisingly good

hyperloop

Flashlight Enthusiast
I took a chance and got this light for my brother who likes to go scuba diving. I know that there is a separate forum for dive lights but this light is an LED light and is darn hardy and i'm tempted to just keep this for myself even though i dont dive.

Got the light off DX and it arrived in the mail today, it feels VERY sturdy and worth more than what i paid.

As usual, cleaned and re-lubed all the threads, no gritty feeling or squeaking now.

There are 3 O-rings in the threads on the head to ensure waterproofing, O-rings are thick and sturdy. There are another 2 on the head, presumably for ease of twisting underwater with gloves on (light is rated to 200m by the way but we'll see when my brother goes for his next dive trip).

I slipped in 3xAAs (Soshine, 2500mAh) and twisted the light on, WOW! Bright indeed!! There is a nice intense hotspot and very nice spill too. No distinct Cree rings but there appears to be a multicolored corona just around the hotspot which may be due to the thickness of the glass. I have not disassembled anything as i am (a) not expert enough and (b) dont want to take a chance on wrecking anything.

Anyway, found that this was well worth the money spent and let's hope that it lives up to a couple of diving trips, if it does, next step is to get one for my other friend who does deep sea diving on oil rigs then we'll see if it lives up to 200m. :D

(Below): W200 size comparison with eneloop AA

PB090717.jpg

(Below): W200 white wall (about 7-8 feet)

PB090718.jpg

(Below): control shot, wardrobe is about 5-6m away, time about 4pm, windows and curtains closed

PB090713.jpg

(Below): W200 lightin up the wardrobe

PB090714.jpg

hyperloop

Flashlight Enthusiast
think this would be a nice light to bring along on holidays at beach resorts, no worries about getting it wet or sandy.

kramer5150

Flashaholic
Someone about a year ago opened it up and did some extensive mods. IIRC its DD (perhaps with a resistor to limit current I can't recall exactly).