Unexpected use for strobe mode

PhotonWrangler

Flashaholic
I was at my local Wally World tonight. Got stuck in line behind a woman who was having a particularly difficult time with her transaction. The cashier turned on the blinking light to summon for assistance... nothing. Ten minutes go by... no manager. The cashier tried raising someone on the telephone for assistance with no luck. 15 minutes go by with the cashier's light still blinking with no one in sight for help. By this time I'm getting pretty frustrated.

So I pulled out my P3D-CE, turned it on strobe, and aimed it at the customer service desk about 100 feet away. The manager AND a security guard came right over! :laughing: The manager got the transaction straightened out while the security guard was looking at me, wondering where all that flashing light came from. I smiled and said "hey, that light above the cashier just wasn't cutting it.

So there ya go, strobe mode can be useful. Just not what you thought for. :)

Last edited:

Search

Flashlight Enthusiast
lmao you have much more courage than me. I've unofficially decided to not use mine in public for fear of being ridiculed.

That made my night :)

pipspeak

Enlightened
I thought the story would go: "... and then the lady in front of me had a siezure and died"

EXCALIBUR1

Newly Enlightened
It is better to have strobe and not need it, than to need it and not have it. Job well done. Semper fi. Carryon.:goodjob:

roadie

Enlightened
luckily its jus a P3D ..... if it was a bigger light , like TK40 ...

One may had thought that it was disco !!!!! :)

However, i wouldnt use it in public myself, low profile ...... i would rather use my nature loud voice to bully through .... :x

grunscga

Newly Enlightened
I actually found a use for strobe the other day, too. One of my coworkers decided to decorate his desk for halloween with a little LEGO pumpkin. While he wasn't paying attention, I dug a slow strobe out of the depths of the Jet-I's UI, and planted the light inside the plastic pumpkin. Let me tell you, that was the brightest, blinkiest jack-o-lantern EVER. I learned that orange LEGO blocks are basically translucent when hit with 240 lumens from within. :cool:

Everybody liked it so much that when the 14500 gave up (after about 2.5 hours of blinky), somebody scrounged up some AAs and got it going again. (There was no way I was going to volunteer the other 14500s I had in my bag...)

I will point out though that he moved it off his desk and put it in a common area. I'm pretty sure the mini-spotlights coming out of the eyes were keeping him from working. :whistle: :devil:

duboost

Enlightened
im actually most impressed at the fact that you stayed in line at the same register for 15 mins :laughing:

hyperloop

Flashlight Enthusiast
:crackup:

used the strobe mode on my Jetbeam to help friends locate us on the beach, at a crowded outdoor open air concert, in a club, also used it to get the attention of a taxi.

PhotonBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Annapolis Valley, Nova Scotia, Canada http://tinyu
I'm a big fan of the strobe function as well. It's like having a free emergency mode. (If I ever get stuck on a highway at night, I'm sure to use it in my rear window to help prevent being rear ended.)

In a pinch, if you don't have the feature, you can simply shine your light at the person you want to summon, flicking the beam up and down a few times per second. You'll be amazed how quickly people react to this.

branespload

Newly Enlightened
I actually found a use for strobe the other day, too. One of my coworkers decided to decorate his desk for halloween with a little LEGO pumpkin

A few days before Halloween, somebody from a club at school brought a pumpkin with an 8-bit Mario carved out of it, but nobody could tell what it was without it being lit up... So I stuck my Quark Ti in it and put it on strobe to a reception of Oohs and Aahs. another random win for strobe :p