Enlightened
Does Peak make good LED torch lights?

Can it be compared to Surefire?

:candle:

Norm

Retired Administrator
In a class of their own.
Bullet proof.
My Peak Pacific is the oldest light I own that still sees regular pocket duty.
Norm

Last edited:

Lumenz

Enlightened
If you like single-mode, direct-driven lights. That's not really my thing but the flashlight bodies are first rate.

PhantomPhoton

Flashlight Enthusiast
what do you mean by direct driven?

:s11:

Direct drive is when the battery powers the LED without any sort of circuit to regulate the current. Almost all incandescent lights are "direct drive" for example.
However Lumenz's information is very old and outdated. Peak makes many properly regulated LED lights now.

In response to the original post:
Peak is a wonderful company. Most of their lights don't have a bunch of bells and whistles but they're superbly constructed and thought out in their design. There's only one flaw that I can find with Peak in general, and that is their website and the website of their retailer. But the lights are great.

Dances with Flashlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Good lights? In a word: YES! Check out the Peak CPF subforum in CUSTOM & MODIFIED and browse through the reviews and other posts there. Peakaholics love their Peaks and keep buying more because of the Peak reputation for high quality.

Compared to Surefire? This is a particularly good question I am surprised others haven't asked here. Peak started off with an extensive line of relatively small consumer oriented lights that were not designed for duty carry by LEO's. These lights have progressed to undreamed of levels with newer LED's and circuitry and are now very well suited to serve as high quality pocket backups for LEO's - e.g., the 14500 El Capitan XP-G, and the RCR-123 P7 Ranier. More recently, however, Peak has entered the LEO arena in a big way with an array of modular components aimed at giving the LEO a choice of emitters, very versatile battery configurations, and switches. Nearly all these components are instantly interchangeable: Out of 123's or 18650 dead? No problem, switch out to some 18350's or 18500's, RCR-123's, or AA's or 14500's, or a number of others. Make the light as short or as long as you like. I've been playing around after dark with a P7 Night Patrol and absolutely love it. Great performance on par with or better than every Surefire I've toyed with. Build quality is of the high level expected from Peak. And it's really cheap to operate as it uses whatever rechargeables might be laying around.

Here's a thread about the Peak First Responder FR-1000:

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/237048

Miracle

Enlightened
thanks for the info

does any kind souls know of any review of the peak rainier?

:candle:

NutSAK

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you like single-mode, direct-driven lights. That's not really my thing but the flashlight bodies are first rate.

Peak has only one model that I'm aware of that is direct drive (Ranier). Most of their models have very good regulation & runtime. Since it's not your thing, you'll be glad to know that there are many Peaks for you to choose from.

Last edited:

Brasso

Flashlight Enthusiast
Peaks are of the highest quality. They don't have any variable output lights, yet, but what they have can't be beat quality wise unless you go into custom work. They're on par with the best.

As mentioned above, the website is awful. And I've bought 4 other flashlights waiting for that darn Everest to be released. If they don't hurry up I'm going to be broke.

tsask

Flashlight Enthusiast
nice people & good customer service. I had issues with the LED heads getting loose and falling off keychain. Robyn at Peak sent me a replacement blue LED head to replace the lost cyan. Although she didn't have it immediately, she remembered and sent it 6 months later :) WTG!
IIRC Peak was popular with their "ocean named" CR123 light a few years ago.

Gatsby

Enlightened
I had drafted a lengthy reply which sadly was lost during the software upgrade/reversion - but I suppose I can summarize it as follows:

If I could only take one light with me to a desert island (along with a big box of batteries) it would be my Peak Pacific. I completely trust it to work every time. That says something.

As for Surefire I believe Peak is on par with them in terms of quality but they are very different lights with different design philosophies and initial target audiences. They are very comparable but not at all the same - these days Peak has taken an almost small job shop approach with lots of customizable options, whereas Surefire has almost always taken a this is what we offer take it or leave it approach. Nothing inherently wrong with either and given the relative size differences of the companies certainly understandable, but if you want to choose the body style, body material, emitter type, tint, beam shape, etc... Peak likely has a combination that will suit your needs and desires.

KeyGrip

Flashlight Enthusiast
Brasso;3164551They don't have any variable output lights said:
The First Responder has been available for some time now.

My favorite thing about Peak is the number of different options they have for each light when it comes to materials and battery size. My least favorite thing is that you cannot view all of these options on their website.

bkumanski

Enlightened
Any word on the SR2000? This looks to be a real beast. The website says November release, but they don't even have any photos yet.

regulator

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think they make very nice lights. My #4 Eiger with narrow reflecor (which is actually as wide or wider than any of my other reflector lights) is amazingly small with a great output/runtime balance. It is as small as an Arc AAA with a high power LED. It has a suprising output and runtime balace on a 10440 lithium rechargable cell. So small there is no reason not to carry it EDC.

I even still use my original Pacific (Lux III) with AA pocket body. I put a 14500 cell in it to bump the output a bit. The beam and tint are great and it still gets a good runtime/output for general use. It just feels well built, easy to turn on, no frills, and small form factor.

RAGE CAGE

Enlightened
If I could only take one light with me to a desert island (along with a big box of batteries) it would be my Peak Pacific. I completely trust it to work every time. That says something.

Well said...I would take all of my PEAKS and and a shipping container of batts.

MWClint

Enlightened
I go nowhere without a Peak or three..i have 5 lights with me at work tonight...3 are peaks.

1 Keychain - Matterhorn
1 EDC - Pacific
1 LEO light - Night Patrol

between these 3, they cover all my needs.
low personal lighting, general use and bright thrower.
primary and 2 backups. never had a peak fail..so thats 3 reliable light sources.
this combo can make light from any battery source- alkaline, nimh, lith primary, lith rechargable...