I need a web page counter

Sean

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am changing my website host and I need a simple page counter. That's it. I don't want it to track all kinds of info and give me reports, etc. I just want a counter for the bottom of my page. And it needs to be free. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Where is the best place to get one?

Tomas

Banned
Most of my sites use pay counters, but the one free one that I've found good enough to stick with for some years is bravenet.com /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

T_sig2.gif

Sean

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks guys. I went with your suggestion Tomas. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

BTW, Does anyone know how to make it so when someone opens my old homepage it will automatically link them (or load) to my now homepage, without visitors having to click anything?

Tomas

Banned
I have that set on one of my pages (it's called a "redirect") but I've found that quite a few browsers won't follow the HTML anymore as part of their security options, etc.

Here's my page that has it: Imagepool.

Here's a description:

<font color="blue"><META HTTP-EQUIV=Refresh CONTENT="10; URL=http://www.htmlhelp.com/"></font>

tells the browser to load http://www.htmlhelp.com/ 10 seconds after the current document has finished loading. Not all browsers support this, so authors should provide an alternate means of moving to the new page where necessary. The Refresh header is sometimes used for "splash screens" or when a page has moved, but the technique is not very effective since users may not even be looking at the window that is to be refreshed and since it messes up the user's history on many browsers. Some search engines penalize pages that use a Refresh of a few seconds or less.

Good luck!
T_sig2.gif

jtice

Flashaholic
BEST I've ever used is www.okcounter.com

They have a tone to choose from

BE AWARE !!!!!! most free counters count a hit every time YOU goto YOUR page, and hit refresh.!!!!!

OKcounters doesnt .

ZENGHOST

Enlightened
Cool, I've been looking for a new counter as well. I use thecounter.com right now, but they're moving in a direction that I don't like. Do these suggested ones allow for multiple counters on one account? I have a few different sites that I want to keep track of.

Tomas

Banned
Bravenet used to, might still. I'd suggest checking their sites to see what they offer and don't offer, and what "requirements" they might have.

Good luck!

T_sig2.gif

ZENGHOST

Enlightened
Thanks, Tomas--didn't mean to sound lazy or anything, but sometimes it's difficult to find the actual functions of a free service. I signed up for bravenet and it allows up to three per account. Bravenet was the only link mentioned that had a working link (don't know if it's just me having problems with the other counters). Anyhow, bravenet seems to be pretty good, though I've been looking for one with an IP log (and other miscellaneous extras), but other than that it seems to be pretty good so far.

Sean

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, I went with bravenet too since it seemed to be the only working link, it narrowed down my choices nicely!

Thanks Tomas! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif

Tomas

Banned
I just stopped by the counter details page for one of my paid counters (thecounter.com) and noticed that the site I have them counting and tracking for has 1821563 hits logged. I find it amazing that a personal page can get that many hits, but I guess there are all sorts out there (that's the count since mid 1995).

(And no, I'm not plugging for more hits, I'm not going to even give out the URL. Period. Don't ask.)

Anyway, if anyone is after a pro-grade counter with good tracking and histories, and is willing to pay a reasonable yearly fee for the service, thecounter.com offers up one of the best in my opinion - They've been reliable for me since 1995 ... They also have a BUNCH of other services.

T_sig2.gif
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

ZENGHOST

Enlightened
I use thecounter.com on one of my sites (free version) and was looking into the pay version, but the price just jumped another five bucks or so and I don't want to go with anything that's going to be increasing it's price frequently. Plus the fact that I would like to be able to add a counter to more than just one site for $18 a year. It does do a good job with the tracking and histories, though.

Tomas

Banned
Zenghost, I recently got e-mail from TheCounter.com, and they will be dropping their free counter service, and going to pay only in the near future ...

T_sig2.gif

ZENGHOST

Enlightened
Yeah, I had heard something about that too, that's one of the reasons I had been searching for a different counter. Good business strategy, but still sucks (give it to 'em free until everyone uses it, then start charging).

Tomas

Banned
UPDATE: I just sent this to Bravenet.com support, and feel that I need to update what I posted earlier here. I am withdrawing my recommendation for Bravenet as a simple counter provider.

[ QUOTE ]
Member [Tomas]
July 10, 2003 03:58:51

Sadly, after over 35,038 counts on my Bravenet counter over the past few years, and numerous referrals to Bravenet for service, it appears that I must discontinue my simple Bravenet counter since your 'New Improved' cut and paste code 1) will not fit into the narrow table space allowed for the counter on my page, and 2) the advertising now included with the counter image is against long extablished rules against commercial advertising for the site I was using it on.

Just recently I was lauding Bravenet for it's service and recommending it in one of the on-line community bulletin boards I am a member of. I'm afraid I will now have to go back to that thread in the forum and recant all those good things I said (candlepowerforums.com).

I understand that times change and services change, and I hope that you also understand that some changes go beyond what some clients can easily accept.

I have removed all Bravenet code from the one page I was using it on, but not yet closed my Bravenet account.

I wish you well in the future.

Take care,
Tom

[/ QUOTE ]

T_sig6.gif
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/twak.gif