ARC LSH-P Purple??!

Status
Not open for further replies.

sharkeeper

Enlightened
In the sticks of the Badlands of the East
I have some really white cold cathode lamps used for lighting up LCD TFT panels. These are truly white. Next to the tube, this ARC LSH-P S/N 364 looks very purplish.

The output of the LS reminds me of European HID headlamps. Is that what it should look like?

-DAK-

Gransee

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yes, that is a common observation. Of course, LEDs vary so how cold (or how warm) it is will be unique for each light. I like to think that we use a higher class of LED sorting than anyone else.

Peter

LEDagent

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just curious... what does a cold cathode lamp used for LCD TFT panels look like? I assume that if you can remove it from old LCD panels, you can use the lamps for a very nice area light.

Anyway, this is off topic, so if you want to email me or PM me that would be okay.

At least your Arc LS looks purple instead of green. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Arc really does a good job at sorting LEDs for their premium and new standard line of lights.

snakebite

Flashlight Enthusiast
most ccfl tubes i have are 5000 degrees kelvin.
that is like noon sunlight on a clear day.
they look pure snow white compared to common flourescent lights.
might be hard to compare to an arc ls since you have the big blue spike and a big yellowish one to approximate white where ccfl is a triphosphor.3 colored phosphors in addition to the blue bluegreen mercury vapor.

sharkeeper

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
most ccfl tubes i have are 5000 degrees kelvin.
that is like noon sunlight on a clear day.
they look pure snow white compared to common flourescent lights.
might be hard to compare to an arc ls since you have the big blue spike and a big yellowish one to approximate white where ccfl is a triphosphor.3 colored phosphors in addition to the blue bluegreen mercury vapor.

[/ QUOTE ]

That about sums it up.

The tubes are extremely thin and fragile. When driven hard, they are hard to look at! Definitely a full spectrum light. If you have a flatbed scanner, try leaving the cover up and do a pre-scan. You will see one in action.

My wife says my photon looks blue and the LS white. She is kind of colorblind though!

-DAK-

sharkeeper

Enlightened
I guess I'm not used to the output!

Here is a pic from my light...

arc-lshp-364.jpg

EDIT: I've updated the picture to reveal how it appears to the eye. It DOES have a purple tint!!!

-DAK-

jtice

Flashaholic
Im SURE Peter will help you out and replace it.
Just contact him. Mines WHITE ! You will be happy with it.

shiftd

Flashlight Enthusiast
That is definitely purple and 5 binned lux to me. Ask peter, he would do (almost) anything to make it right.

treek13

Flashlight Enthusiast
Umm, that is definitely purple but didn't you just change the color of your original picture to make it look purple?

I think I am missing something here because I don't understand how this proves anything.

Anyway, it doesn't matter. Arc has a customer satisifaction guarantee. Just e-mail or call them and they will take care of you.

Pat

sharkeeper

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Umm, that is definitely purple but didn't you just change the color of your original picture to make it look purple?

I think I am missing something here because I don't understand how this proves anything.

[/ QUOTE ]

Proof? WYSIWYG! The image accurately reflects what you would see in person! The light is not truly white. That is all.

Cheers!

shiftd

Flashlight Enthusiast
Treek, i think sharkeeper changed the pic so that it reflects the actual beam. I did not see the original picture but I guess he did the right thing.

chamenos

Flashlight Enthusiast
yup...even if it was white and not purple, the white-balance on cameras tends to screw up the colour balance.

obeck

Newly Enlightened
Actually, the center of the beam IS white... in both cases.
Nobody has come out and said it, but I have 4 luxeons, BB400/Q3, MM+Q3, LSH-P and LS1. Every luxeon... even the very white LSH-P and BB400/Q3L... have off color coronas. I am not sure that a pure white spot+corona even exists. I dont think it does (yet).
Now , the picture shows a white spot and a deep-purple corona. The second representation has a corona with WAY more tint than exists on any of my lights. I would still, though, call this particular LSH-P "white" because the spot shown IS white... as white as you can get!

And, speaking of off-color coronas, I have started liking a green tint-corona better than a blue/purple tint corona. Why? When outdoors at night, the green tint corona is a MUCH more natural color than the blue-tint corona. With green tint, grass and plants look normal. With a blue tint corona (or spot), the green looks blue-green.... everything looks like kentucky blue grass or one of those bluish fir trees (douglas fir or something). Its very unnatural.

Status
Not open for further replies.