Lights holding their value?

GarageBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Do you believe that lights hold their value (monetary)?
A lot of guys have been mentioning that Ti Quarks and such will maintain value, but I only think that is true as long it doesn't become yesterday's news.
For example a DSpeck firefly used to run for a lot more than the $50-60 they're going for.
I've seen McLux PDs go for $200 because it was a Lux III version.
Arc LS and Arc 4, same thing and the Arc 4 isnt that common either

Black Rose

Flashlight Enthusiast
Some lights (i.e. Surefire) will retain a good portion of their value because people will continue to want those particular lights.

I think the various Ti lights that have come out lately will only hold their value if they are produced in limited numbers and there are no second or third runs.

"yesterday's news" can be good in some cases, such as lights that have limited availability LEDs such as the Rebel 100.

gswitter

Flashlight Enthusiast
Do you believe that lights hold their value (monetary)?
Outside of the Ti PD-S, Spy005 and maybe a couple others, nope.

To those that think there will still be much demand for the Ti Quarks (or the like) a year from now, I'd like some of what you're smoking.

(Nothing against the Quarks - I have one and am satisfied with it.)

Illum

Flashaholic
Assuming we are referring to manufactured lights, not custom lights...

Lights will depreciate as long as technology progresses. Eventually it will depreciate until it contains only salvageable value, where certain parts can be reused and others outdated. Ultimately it will end up as scrap value only, a mere percentage of its original cost.

The depreciation curve will increase sharply if the light is used, as parts will wear out and finishing won't be mint. The curve is leveled off at a shallower rate as a function of technology advancements if the light is not being used at all.

Away from monetary value, a light unused is of no value to you as a user, it stands as a collectors item that is of potential investment and asset. This form of asset, however is not fluid as trying to sell them during economic hardships is proving difficult. The most fluid of assets is the lights that are not bought and ones most used:eek:

Lights are are most used usually end up being next to the last categories in which to be sold, so there lies no incentive to analyze its monetary value, should it not be sold....or is there? :grin2:

Last edited:

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
I would never buy a light thinking it would hold it's value. Some might do better than others, but with technology improving our little toys constantly values just drop. Only a rare light combined with a rare bird wanting to buy it will see good value.

Geoff

TKC

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't buy lights thinking about whether or not it holds it value or not. I buy lights simply because I like and want it.

Oddjob

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't buy lights thinking about whether or not it holds it value or not. I buy lights simply because I like and want it.

Same here. IMO, production lights will lose their value as technology improves. The key for me is to get use out if it so that when it comes time to replace it you can be satisfied that you got your money's worth.

McGizmo

Flashaholic
I think any well designed and constructed light will retain its utility over time. Whether that utility will hold its value to the eye of the beholder is another question. If value is determined by the resale market then it becomes a more convoluted issue.

Apollo Cree

Enlightened
"Resale" value?

No blinking way.

Big drop in value once you walk out of the store, rapid depreciation. Like most automobiles or computers. Technology improvement is too rapid.

Hopefully, the lumen value is maintained over time.

AFAustin

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like flashlights and I like knives. I have bought and sold many of both, esp. flashlights. I tend to keep only my favorites for long periods. Most I sell after having had a chance to play with them a bit. That's about the only way I can afford these hobbies. :broke:

Knowing that this is common, that flashlight guys often like knives and visa versa, it has occurred to me that the dynamics of buying, using and selling are very different for the two.

With flashlights, you can use them a lot (as long as you are careful), but you must sell them quickly, since the technology is changing so fast.

With a quality knife, you can hold onto it a long time before selling, and it will retain its value---but, you can't use it much as the wear will really show.

GarageBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yup, exactly what I was talking about AFAustin.
With knives, especially if its a high cachet model (BM 710M2) you can get what ya paid for.
Lights, no matter what its made off is almost unsellable once its not the current series of emitter (Lux Is in the Lux III era, Lux IIIs during the Cree era, etc)

jimmy1970

Flashlight Enthusiast
Most lights seem to drop in value over time. My just received McGizmo Sundrop 3S is a case in point. This light was purchased second hand here for less than the new asking price.

The new Sundrop XR-U version has taken a little of the gloss off my older, superseded model.

I do notice however, that very popular lights no longer currently available seem to hold their value or increase in value - e.g. Lunasol LS20. Most second series onwards lights that accept RCR's sell for more than the original asking price.

It can be assumed that if/when the LS20 is replaced by a brighter/better/different model, than downward pressure will be placed on the resale value of the original version.

James....:D

berry580

Flashlight Enthusiast
assuming we're talking about production lights. IMO, there's a big drop in value once you "walk out the store" because what you initially paid wasn't its true worth. You paid for their rent, their bills, their wages/salary etc etc.

There'll usually be channels where you can buy those items WITHOUT those extra non value-added costs, hence equilibrium price should be "at cost" and is usually below the retail price.
"Resale" value?

No blinking way.

Big drop in value once you walk out of the store, rapid depreciation. Like most automobiles or computers. Technology improvement is too rapid.

Hopefully, the lumen value is maintained over time.

berry580

Flashlight Enthusiast
Assuming we are referring to manufactured lights, not custom lights...

Lights will depreciate as long as technology progresses. Eventually it will depreciate until it contains only salvageable value, where certain parts can be reused and others outdated. Ultimately it will end up as scrap value only, a mere percentage of its original cost.

The depreciation curve will increase sharply if the light is used, as parts will wear out and finishing won't be mint. The curve is leveled off at a shallower rate as a function of technology advancements if the light is not being used at all.

Away from monetary value, a light unused is of no value to you as a user, it stands as a collectors item that is of potential investment and asset. This form of asset, however is not fluid as trying to sell them during economic hardships is proving difficult. The most fluid of assets is the lights that are not bought and ones most used:eek:

Lights are are most used usually end up being next to the last categories in which to be sold, so there lies no incentive to analyze its monetary value, should it not be sold....or is there? :grin2:
+1

leukos

Flashlight Enthusiast
LED lights are the worst for keeping their value, even if they are customs. Incans hold pretty steady, for now. HIDs as well. Custom parts for lights that are rare or no longer available sell for a premium. Depends on the economy, which is driving down prices on BST--more for sale and less buyers. However, this is a buoyant market here on CPF, we are constantly attracting new members with new sources of cash and new appetites for lights and parts, which helps keep prices relatively steady.

Billy Ram

Enlightened
At the moment LED lights are not going to hold their value very well. The ones that are easily upgraded may do a little bit better so buy something practical and useful. I buy LEDs for one reason."To use" On the other hand hot wires that are custom made buy some one like fivemega are going to hold their value very well. "When only a small number were made and no longer available the value is sound"
Billy

Solscud007

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think it depends on the collector and the market. Like anything that is of value, they tend to run in cycles. there are going to be surges and declines in the price value. Like right now, Collectible SF are on the down incline.

But there are lights that no matter how much LED technology increases, certain lights will command a high value jsut due to their rare nature.

bluepilgrim

Enlightened
Some light will go up and some down, and how long that takes will vary. Look at http://www.flashlightmuseum.com/flashlights.cfm and you see the variations. The values may go down and then slowly rise again: a cheap light now may be worth a great deal in 50 years -- perhaps even less. That's what happens with collectors' value.

As for intrinsic value, while it's true that innovations will likely continue, I have a few lights now that do virtually eveything I want or ever will want for that sort of light. My little $6 or $8 AA Dorcy with the push button/twisty tail cap and maybe 5 or 10 lumens is still the one I most use, fits the hand well, and is near perfect for navigating a dark hallway. Yes, it could be more efficient, but if I have to recharge a battery only once a month, why should care that much? And when the battery gets low, the light gets dimmer and doesn't just go out suddenly, leaving me in the dark. If I need something brighter, I got that in my other pocket.

http://www.dorcydirect.com/p-100-41-4239-1aa-led-flashlight-w-optic-battery.aspx or http://www.dorcydirect.com/p-145-41-4224-1aaa-led-flashlight.aspx will always be great lights for their purpose. Most others I have are TOO bright for that purpose. Yeah -- the technology now is good enough that for many lights and uses we don't need anything better -- they aren't perfect, but they are good, and it's unlikely that anyone will ever make one with a better user interface for what I want -- they STILL haven't improved on the old 'boat switch' for a one-hand light which flashes momentarily and also turns on and off.

I have also yet to find a better cigarette light than the standard Zippo (and some of the old ones are worth quite a bit). I haven't too many engraved 'commemorative' flashlights yet, but they may be worth looking at if you are concerned about future value (dealers take note).

AFAustin

Flashlight Enthusiast
There'll usually be channels where you can buy those items WITHOUT those extra non value-added costs, hence equilibrium price should be "at cost" and is usually below the retail price.

If the channels you refer to are something other than the online vendors we're all familiar with, would you be kind enough to share them?

Thanks.

Last edited: