Headlight Upgrade/Mod.

nhra27

Newly Enlightened
Hello everyone, I have been lurking here for weeks trying to learn as much as I can. And I must say there are some real experts here not just keyboard commandos. I am impressed with the knowledge represented at this site so I come here hoping to find help on my project.
I have a headlight I need to upgrade. I use this light for night hunting; throw is what this project is all about. The donor is a discontinued Optronics HL-206C, 6v 4.5 Ah SLA batt/ belt loop carrier, power cord goes to elastic headband which plugs into the light head (plastic head and reflector) with an 1/8in male connector, unknown wattage Bi-pin incan bulb, with a secondary blue LED. Switching: on-off-on, leaver switch, for lack of a better phrase. I like the way this light wears and I have used it for years. I am use to the weight of the batt on my pistol belt as well.
I will be using this light at around 100 yards or closer, so I will set that at max distance. I am looking for animal identification at that range max. Is it a coyote or a dog that got loose? The only other way I know to explain what I am looking for is to say my Streamlight SL-20 mounted to my head will do. Doctor won't do it, I asked. If I can go brighter all the better. I have some LED lights that I have used and I don't care for the "blueish" light, I feel that a more white light gives me better critter identification at distance which makes me quicker on the trigger.
I don't think an incan will give me the amount of throw I am looking for without a serious meltdown. So LED may be my only hope. I am looking for around 3-4 hrs run time per charge. Carrying a spare battery in the field is not a problem, if it's needed. Throw is more important than run time, if I only get 2 hrs so be it. I think 3-4 hrs isn't out of the realm of possibilities with 4.5Ah. I had a thought of a hi, med, low type system, just not sure how to design it, haven't figured out switching of multi mode though. At whatever setting I use for shooting, let's say med, being able to switch that setting on first. So I can go from total darkness to shooting light with one switch. I not very knowledgeable about setting up a LED system. If that is the way it looks like I need to go, I will need some links and help with model numbers. 6V or 12V matters not to me, I have access to tons of batteries in the 4.5 to 7 Ah range in both voltages.
Head dimensions: Inside dia. 2.050, depth –front 1.400/ rear 1.700. Leaning towards LED I believe there is plenty of real estate for mounting. Reflector is plastic and preformed for low power LED; I would like to keep it if possible. Or new reflector that will fit as long as I still have a low power light, i.e. multi mode. If multi mode is the consensus, I will go as bright as will fit in the head. Sl-20 reflector fits dia of head just not deep enough to fully accept it without pins bent over. I will most likely replace the window with a UCL. Head bezel is threaded to adjust beam focus.
I would like the end result to be a high quality, bright and bulletproof head light. Keeping the ever shrinking budget in mind, of course. Thank you for any assistance in advance. Gentlemen, the floor is yours what say you?