Are the three cells (9v) Surefire worth it?

Turbo6

Newly Enlightened
I know that the 2 cells SF seems to be the more popular choice. But is it worth the extra $$ to get a much brighter light?

Also can you add the LED head to these 3 cells lights.

dano

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like the three cells, but I think SF is discontinuing all of them except the M-3. Maybe Al could confirm that?

--dan

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've got a C3-HA with P91's and two 18650 Li-Ion's. Can't beat the combination. Rechargeable and bright. I used to reserve these 3-cell lights for my "bump-in-the-night-get-my-pistol" scenarios but with the Li-Ion's, they're getting more frequent traditional type uses.

brightnorm

Flashaholic
P91 and SRTH/N2 make 3 cells more than worhwhile. I'm glad I got them before they're discontinued. I would sure hate to part with them.

CM, what sort of runtime do you get with that combo?

I've been putting off getting lithium ions because I'm a little concerned about charging/overchargingh/ explosion/ fire etc. Especially since they are charging outside the light.

Brightnorm

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast
brightnorm,

I've run that combo for about fifteen minutes about two weeks ago. Had a mountain lion roaming our neighborhood and me and a neighbor went out to try to follow it for animal control. He had a 6D maglite (or something that looks like a baseball bat) and his .357 and I had the C3. He was totally wowed by the output as it made his maglite look pitiful. He kept commenting on how small and extremely bright it was. Oh, getting off topic. I guesstimate it was fifteen minutes and it had a more runtime to go. It was not even yellowing, though the whole light did get extremely warm. When I got home, I measured the voltage and it was 3.87V per cell. I thought, cool, I probably have another ten minutes of good bright light.

Li-Ions are the way to go if you have the proper charger. I don't worry about overdischarge too much since I always top off (good for this chemistry) and if the light starts to yellow, I quit using it. I have been looking for a SRTH/N2. I'm really bummmed they're no longer made. That would make my C3 a nice little light saber. BTW, that was one situation where a LED light would not have done the job (even a 5W) The throw of an incandescent just can't be beat.

CM

Size15's

Flashaholic
SureFire is streamlining it's range because the three SF123A models aren't as popular as the two SF123A models.

The C2/C3 will both make good use of the KL5 5W Luxeon bezel (not yet released)

Are three SF123A models worth it?
In my opinion, they give you important compact TurboHead options. The M3 and M3T are my most used three SF123A models from SureFire.

Al

JohnK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Al, you can tell my age I guess, I bought my 6P, and 9P, years ago. They have been sitting in my Grand Cherokee, and bedside drawer for years. On my second set of batteries, and only changed them because the 10 yr. battery life was getting there. Original bulbs (I have spares).

They may be collectors items, both are in pristine condition.

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast
JohnK,

I bought a 6Z years ago (1994?) for a firearms class. It was my first *real* flashlight. Also original bulbs, but lost count of how many batteries I went through. It was my EDC for many years, though now it's too big for that with the release of many smaller fine lights from Arc and Surefire. But, I'll always keep the 6Z. I just replaced the bulb with the Pila 3.7V and the 168B Li-ion. I think I'll be using 123's a lot less these days. As Al said, the Turbo head option gives the 3 cell lights a lot of versatility. A T head is one of my next acquisitions. The 3 cell lights fill a need in my use that can't be met with 2 cell lights so it's very much worth it IMO.

CM

Lux_Luminous

Enlightened
My C3HA with a TurboHead and N2 LA is AWESOME! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I think of it as a "must have" item. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

Get one while you can.

123's are certainly cheap enough now.

"Lux" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Lux Luminous,

OK, that's all the encouragement that I need. I'm getting a T-head now /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Turbo6

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Size15s said:
M3 without a doubt.
However, I'd get the M3T and then the KL6 when it is released.

M3? IS that the M3 with the turbo head?
Al

[/ QUOTE ]

PaulW

Flashlight Enthusiast
Turbo6,

The M3T has the M3 body with the KT4 turbo head.

You can buy the M3 plus the KT4 turbo head. Then you'll have two heads. Or you can buy the M3T. It already has the turbo head and it's only about $30 or $40 more than the M3, as I recall, whereas the KT4 will cost at least $100.

I made the mistake of buying the M3 and then the KT4. I subsequently wanted to sell the M3 smaller head, but there are no buyers for that.

Paul

Lux_Luminous

Enlightened
The N2 is an awesome bulb!

(I'm going outside now to shine my C3HA+KT2 at things
that are waaaay down the street) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink2.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

"Lux" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Deanster

Enlightened
I'll chime in - I got my Z3 a couple months ago for $88, and I think it's the best price/performance light in Surefire's lineup. Want more than a 2-cell light can offer? Don't want to pay $200-$350 for M4 or M6? The only place to land is the 9-volt series. Turbohead adds a whole other dimension as well.

My major problem with the light is that it's waaaay too bright for anything close at hand. All I can see is a big white blob. This makes me happy.

brightnorm

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
CM said:
brightnorm,

... Had a mountain lion roaming our neighborhood and me and a neighbor went out to try to follow it for animal control. He had a 6D maglite (or something that looks like a baseball bat) and his .357 and I had the C3....

[/ QUOTE ]

So it's overdischarge I should worry about rather than overcharge?

Looking for mountain lions at night with a .357 and a C3could be tricky because with a couple of huge bounds he could be on you in a fraction of a second. In daylight you'd have a rifle and more time to spot and shoot.

Of course I'm a real expert living in a land of concrete canyons and polluted air. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Brightnorm

LEDagent

Flashlight Enthusiast
personally, i find that the 3-cell Surefires are too big for everyday carry, and are more suited for duty or pouch/bag carry. And since i would more than likely carry a 3-cell flashlight in a bag, i would spend the money on a high quality rechargeable. Besides, at that size, i would want something with throw. My other 1 and 2 cell lights will take care of the close range stuff.

...but of course that's only my opinion.