Is the SUREFIRE P3X FURY TACTICAL "rare"?

IMA SOL MAN

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a SUREFIRE P3X FURY TACTICAL, and I never see anyone talk about the P3X. There's quite a bit of discussion of the 9P, which as I understand, is also a 3xCR123A SUREFIRE flashlight. So, I'm wondering if SUREFIRE didn't make many of the P3X? Is it considered rare? How many did they make?

Dave D

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've no idea of the quantities but they made three different versions, the original ones had the finger grooves like the P2X and was available in single mode tactical and the dual mode Low/High. Then they brought out the same mode options in the later body, which had returned to knurling instead of the finger grooves. The last version was the knurled body but with Intellibeam, which I recall being sold off at discounted prices about 4 years ago or so.

I've never had one of the P3X models but I seem to recall folk had issues with the LED burning out, they were 1000 lumens compared to the P2X of 600 in the same size of head.

If there were no overheating issues then it would have been sensible for Surefire to release it with a High/Low and bored it for dual fuel, which would have made a good duty light.

IMA SOL MAN

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've no idea of the quantities but they made three different versions, the original ones had the finger grooves like the P2X and was available in single mode tactical and the dual mode Low/High. Then they brought out the same mode options in the later body, which had returned to knurling instead of the finger grooves. The last version was the knurled body but with Intellibeam, which I recall being sold off at discounted prices about 4 years ago or so.

I've never had one of the P3X models but I seem to recall folk had issues with the LED burning out, they were 1000 lumens compared to the P2X of 600 in the same size of head.

If there were no overheating issues then it would have been sensible for Surefire to release it with a High/Low and bored it for dual fuel, which would have made a good duty light.
Mine is the original finger grooved tactical version, and yes, I did have the LED burn out once, sent it in and it was repaired. Evidently the Intellibeam was an attempt to prevent the overheating problem, but it must not have been adequate since they discontinued the models. Cutting their losses. I suppose they will eventually do that with the 1500 Lumen Fury DFT after they sell off their current inventory. I've had to send mine back several times--I lost count how many times.

I wonder how many they made like mine. It might just be a somewhat rare model. 🤑

Dave D

Flashlight Enthusiast
Mine is the original finger grooved tactical version, and yes, I did have the LED burn out once, sent it in and it was repaired. Evidently the Intellibeam was an attempt to prevent the overheating problem, but it must not have been adequate since they discontinued the models. Cutting their losses. I suppose they will eventually do that with the 1500 Lumen Fury DFT after they sell off their current inventory. I've had to send mine back several times--I lost count how many times.

I wonder how many they made like mine. It might just be a somewhat rare model. 🤑
The Fury Intellibeam Dual Fuel is already available and so is the P1RZ-IB-DF, which is the Combat light version of the P1R Peacekeeper, but with 1500 lumens over the standard P1R Peacekeepers 600.

Last edited:

Dave D

Flashlight Enthusiast
What is your point?
You posted 'Evidently the Intellibeam was an attempt to prevent the overheating problem, but it must not have been adequate since they discontinued the models. Cutting their losses. I suppose they will eventually do that with the 1500 Lumen Fury DFT after they sell off their current inventory.'

So I was advising you that the Intellibeam is already available in their Fury 1500 lumen Dual Fuel model.

IMA SOL MAN

Flashlight Enthusiast
You posted 'Evidently the Intellibeam was an attempt to prevent the overheating problem, but it must not have been adequate since they discontinued the models. Cutting their losses. I suppose they will eventually do that with the 1500 Lumen Fury DFT after they sell off their current inventory.'

So I was advising you that the Intellibeam is already available in their Fury 1500 lumen Dual Fuel model.
I meant in the instances where they discontinued models. I hope that they have better LEDs now, and better heat management. But I still think the Intellibeam was originally an effort at heat management to begin with, and then SF used the "less glare" thing as a selling/marketing point.

Personally, if I am in a self-defense situation, and I shine my tactical light in someone's face, I don't want it to dim based on the light reflected off their face, I want every lumen available going into those eyes.

Dave D

Flashlight Enthusiast
Personally, if I am in a self-defense situation, and I shine my tactical light in someone's face, I don't want it to dim based on the light reflected off their face, I want every lumen available going into those eyes.
A double click puts the Intellibeam into constant high mode.

IMA SOL MAN

Flashlight Enthusiast
A double click puts the Intellibeam into constant high mode.
Good point, I admit I had forgotten that. I still think it is a gimmick, but then I've never used one. I'm just a cynical old curmudgeon. A few years from now, you won't be able to tell Jeff Dunham's Walter and me apart--except, I'm not a dummy, and Dunham doesn't have his hand up me.

Bob A

Newly Enlightened
Good point, I admit I had forgotten that. I still think it is a gimmick, but then I've never used one. I'm just a cynical old curmudgeon. A few years from now, you won't be able to tell Jeff Dunham's Walter and me apart--except, I'm not a dummy, and Dunham doesn't have his hand up me.

I bought a Fury Intellibeam because of the high lumen value, but turns out that was useless to me, because flood, not spot.

But as it happened, it turned out the intellibeam made this light absolutely ideal for around the house use. It dims the beam when it reads backsplash, so it's very useful for looking around in tight spaces; you get a good output, and you don't get blinded. Saves battery drainage, too. And if you actually need a high-output flood, an extra click brings it up.

A pleasant surprise for me; I thought it was gonna be a dog, but it's a horse of a different color, apparently.