First mod!

SarcoBlaster

Newly Enlightened
Well, it's really, really simple compared to a lot of the stuff I've seen here, but I took a red LED out of a Photon II and threw it in my 2AA minimag. Surprisingly, it worked and now I can get a decent sized red spot to "throw" as opposed to the flood like beam of the Photon (when I adjust the head of the minimag, I can still get the flood beam as well). The Only permanent mod I had to make was to widen up the reflector so the 5mm LED would fit. Don't know how to put this thing to use, but oh well. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

hotbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
SarcoBlaster... that's start.. however small it is /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Uses? ummm.... that is a question we contemplate about each week a new light is purchased /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ohgeez.gif

Wylie

Enlightened
Cool! Are you going for the drivers and singles or multiple 5mm mods next or moving in on a L/S? I did a couple 5mm mods and one totally tiny one that I built 15 of before I went in for the L/S. I have killed two out of two so far. I have one emitter that still works but the phosphorus is gone because I lost it after I pulled the dome off. I cracked it with some adjusting optics I was pretty happy with until it happened. If I wanted a blue flashlight with a funny looking beam I still have it but the blue ones bug me.

shiftd

Flashlight Enthusiast
well, everything has its start, right?
I also start with one led, but this one is white. Next, i move onto clusters of white leds, about 7 of them will fit Minimag head. Those leds were being driven by 1AA, 1AAA, one LR44. Well, i overdrived them on occasion until one led died and i removed everything.
congrats /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif on your first mod

SarcoBlaster

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the kind words guys. I've sort of run into a problem though. While the red LED works well with the 2AA's, the blue LED that I bought today doesn't get enough power from the 2AA's. I tried powering it with 3AA's and it was quite a bit brighter, but can't seem to think of anyway to get the 3AA's to fit in the 2AA minimag body. Do you guys have any suggestions as to what might work? Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

shiftd

Flashlight Enthusiast
I used 1AA + 1AAA + 1 button cell (LR44/AG13) to get 4.5 V

SarcoBlaster

Newly Enlightened
Doh!
ohgeez.gif

Thanks, shiftd. I didn't even see that in your first post.

And just out of curiosity, your zip code is 92612... do you go to UCI? I spent just this past school year over there.

shiftd

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yup. EE major. Though not a very good undergrad over there.