LED Lights??... for Household use..

Status
Not open for further replies.

brownma

Newly Enlightened
I'm new here and thought I'd post here for help with LED lights.

I'm a graduate researcher in nanotechnology and environmental sustainability and I'm looking into the LED "buzz". I've bought some lights from a local (Oregon) company, but was wondering if anyone else had any personal experience with some.
...Here is where I bought the lights which I currently own: [link removed - DM51]
I have (3) 7W Family warm-white bulbs and (4) 3W Family warm-white.. love them, but was curious what your thoughts are on LED's:
-efficiencies, knowledge on processing, embodied energy,etc.. How environmentally friendly are they??

Thanks!

-Mal

Last edited by a moderator:

SemiMan

Banned
A researcher would RESEARCH, not expect everyone else to do the work for them. They may even research to figure out if their post was going to go in the right forum....

If you were a researcher, you would know that the lights from that company are just the usual stuff cranked out from China with specifications that are highly suspect....

.... which leads me to believe this was just an advertisement.

Last edited:

Light Sabre

Enlightened
A researcher would RESEARCH, not expect everyone else to do the work for them. They may even research to figure out if their post was going to go in the right forum....

If you were a researcher, you would know that the lights from that company are just the usual stuff cranked out from China with specifications that are highly suspect....

What a rude way to welcome someone to CPF Semiman. :thumbsdow

:welcome: inspite of Semiman's comments. Since this is your first post you probably didn't know that there's a seperate forum for home/fixed lighting: Fixed Lighting - CandlePowerForums.

FYI: I don't have a very favorable impression of that website. They make one of biggest blunders for a website with the video. Takes too long to load even at DSL speeds. A website needs to be up and ready for the visitor in less than 10 seconds or the visitor moves on to another webpage. From what I can gather, they are using 1 watt LEDs in some of the bulb's, but I don't think it says explicitly.

McGizmo switched his home from incan to LED. Here are pictures of how he did it and of the results: 12V LED Lighting

My only experience with LED home lighting is with Lights of America bulbs and they were a disaster. LoA has a recall on them. They were 5mm showerhead bulb's.

Higher power LED home lighting bulbs are too expensive and directional for most people and CFL's are so much cheaper, brighter, and have a 360 degree omnidirectional light output. Another problem is trying to get LED bulbs to fit in our current light fixtures. It would be better if light fixtures were designed around a LED bulb that has proper heatsinking built into the fixture or more room for heatsinking on the bulb itself.

I can't help you with your other questions, sorry. Other CPFers have knowledge in that area. I just wanted to give some insight into other problems with LED fixed lighting. It's probably gonna be a long time before LED lighting is a common place in the home.

Semiman other CPFers do research on here. Rreading, asking questions, etc. So why the harsh attitude towards brownma? He's doing research to help make things better for everyone.

BurmaJones

Newly Enlightened

Bingo, baby! A "researcher" wouldn't trust manufacturer's claims about efficiency, let alone anecdotes from a fan site. A real researcher would test and analyze for him or herself.

uk_caver

Flashlight Enthusiast
After a brief google:

http://www.remotecentral.com/cgi-bin/forums/viewpost.cgi?964089

From a single-time poster, yesterday:

LED lights?
What do you think of them?
My wife and I are wanting to change over from CFL's...I'm sick of the "buzzing/Humming" and "flickering". Thought I'd try out the LED route...

I'm looking to replace PAR kitchen lights and standard Edison base 75-100W incandescent lights in our dinning room (3 light hanging fan).
Any suggestions where to get quality lights? ...I don't mind spending a few extra $ to get a product that will ACTUALLY last.

I live in Oregon and have heard some good things about PowerSmartLED's lights (website: www.powersmartLED.com). Anyone buy from them personally?
-Malcolm
http://www.theenvironmentroom.com/showthread.php?p=337369

From a 5-time poster, (who managed to link to the company in 4 out of 5 posts, and looks like they were talking about what they'd bought from them in the remaining post) yesterday:

I'm new here and just posted in the welcome section, but thought I should probably post here for help with LED lights.

I'm a graduate researcher in nanotechnology and environmental sustainability and I'm looking into the LED "buzz". I've bought some lights from a local (Oregon) company, but was wondering if anyone else had any personal experience with some.
...Here is where I bought my first lights: www.powersmartLED.com

I have (3) 7W Family warm-white bulbs and (4) 3W Family warm-white.. love them, but was curious what your thoughts are on LED's:
-efficiencies, knowledge on processing, embodied energy,etc.. How environmentally friendly are they??

Thanks!

-Mal
So malcom/mal has both already bought from the company (6 months ago), talks about them pretty much all the time, and is asking if anyone has bought from them because he's heard good things about them and he's thinking of trying out the LED route.

Certainly looks like cross-forum advertising spam, though at least there's some variety in the posts.

Light Sabre

Enlightened
Certainly looks like cross-forum advertising spam, though at least there's some variety in the posts.

After viewing your links, it does look like advertising spam. The post on here sounded genuine to me. If the person was smart he/she would have used different names on each forum. It lead to their demise here on CPF. Good work uk_caver on catching that. Thanks.

The company that I work for sells products that a lot of grad students use in their research, so it sounded logical to me. Even met a few of them in person this week.

Last edited:

uk_caver

Flashlight Enthusiast
It would have been better to stick to either being a past customer or a prospective one, and at least to stagger the posts a little between sites.

Also, if someone just wanted to get links up to a company, they'd probably be much better doing so by joining in an existing thread or two and posting replies in context, rather than starting new threads.
If someone else had been asking about possible lights in fitment XYZ, a promoter replying that they'd seen them on sale at acme.com (or that they'd bought some from there) would look much less suspicious, even if they were a first-time poster.

uk_caver

Flashlight Enthusiast
I guess it's always possible that someone is just a very eager customer so desperate for feedback that they join/ask 3 forums at once and would be deeply hurt if accused of spamming, but unfortunately that particular kind of eagerness risks attracting the same conclusions wherever it is done on the net, and is probably something for people to avoid doing if they don't want to be misinterpreted in future.

uk_caver

Flashlight Enthusiast

uk_caver

Flashlight Enthusiast
In case anyone was thinking of moving/deleting it, it would be nice if this thread stayed here until the admin at theenvironmentroom has had a chance to read it.

znomit

Enlightened
...Here is where I bought the lights which I currently own: www.powersmartLED.com

Thanks!

-Mal

Thanks for posting Mal. I'll share my experiences I've had with www.powersmartLED.com.

I have had 2 bad experiences with www.powersmartLED.com and would not send them any business.

The first bad experience with www.powersmartLED.com was finding lies and spam on a message board. Gee, I guess you don't have a good customer base to post positive reviews.

The second bad experience was a really slow to load web page at www.powersmartLED.com. Hate that.

Google are you listening? :D

ps
:welcome: :nana:

Last edited:

balou

Enlightened
Anybody reported the post via the button in the upper right hand corner yet? Or is everybody just waiting for a mod to drop by?

uk_caver

Flashlight Enthusiast
Anybody reported the post via the button in the upper right hand corner yet? Or is everybody just waiting for a mod to drop by?
At the moment, it's hardly acting as great advertising.
And this thread is coming pretty high up if googling for powersmartled.com (currently #5 and #6 on google.co.uk).

However, both the threads at theenvironmentroom.com (which is where brownma was apparently having some kind of positive reception, or at least a better one than here) seem to have been pulled now, so that reason for keeping the thread up has now gone.

Last edited:

znomit

Enlightened
At the moment, it's hardly acting as great advertising.
And this thread is coming pretty high up if googling for powersmartled.com (currently #5 and #6 on google.co.uk).

However, both the threads at theenvironmentroom.com (which is where brownma was apparently having some kind of positive reception, or at least a better one than here) seem to have been pulled now, so that reason for keeping the thread up has now gone.

Still theres
http://www.remotecentral.com/cgi-bin/forums/viewpost.cgi?964089
and
http://www.maxximastyle.com/styleboard/showthread.php?p=17549#post17549
And here too I think:
http://www.lightingresourceforum.com/

Which contain more spam from Mal/Brownma from www.powersmartLED.com

uk_caver

Flashlight Enthusiast
Remotecentral have already been notified.

Maybe someone else could contact the lightingresource forum?

I've already done three, and it's bedtime over here.

Last edited:

SemiMan

Banned
Light Sabre, I will take that apology now....... :)

Semiman

p.s. Yes I reported it to the moderator soon after I read it and realized it for what it was, "viral marketing" .... yes, a disease in this case.

uk_caver

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think the lightingresourceforum one might be a false positive.

I'm sure that while googling, I came across a UK-based ma... brown who actually was something to do with stage lighting, with a presence from a year or two ago.
It does look odd that 'brownma' is their newest member, but then there don't seem to have been any posts on any threads in the last few days.

I think our brownma seems to be a register/post/run kind of guy, unless he gets positive replies.

uk_caver

Flashlight Enthusiast
The stage lighting site does seem to have a reasonable number of promotional posters already, and doesn't look like particularly fertile ground for someone selling domestic LED bulbs.

Let's see if/what brownma decides to post there.

DM51

Flashaholic
There doesn't appear to be any useful content here. It's closed. If someone wants to start up a discussion about this in the appropriate forum and in a way that doesn't fall foul of Rule 6, they may do so.

Status
Not open for further replies.