5 Year old Duracell Ultras I bought...

Status
Not open for further replies.

901-Memphis

Enlightened
I got 6 Duracell Ultras Lithium 123 cells that say they are all good until 2014, all from the same 6 pack (About 1$ Shipped For Each). How much of a charge can i expect them to be holding compared to a new Duracell that would expire in 2019

I want to use them but don't know how much capacity they lose over time and can't find any topics on this :tired:

T0RN4D0

Enlightened
I think shelf life is defined by 80% charge left... So for yours a rough estimate would probably be around 90%.

Anyway I don't see how that has a connection with using them... Just go ahead and use them, does it matter if they only hold 80% charge? You probably aren't gonna throw them away just because of that.

901-Memphis

Enlightened
I'm not going to throw them away, but someone made a comment to me about buying 5 year old batteries and i told them they were good for 10 so they should have a good charge left because they are Lithiums, thats what they are made to do is sit longer and hold a better charge than other batteries.

I will still use them, and probably test 1 of them and see how long the run-time is on a light.

Any way to cheaply test a battery's capacity other than what i had planned? I don't have any fancy machines or anything i was just going to run a stopwatch and run a light on high to see how long it runs.

rje58

Enlightened
Personally, I would just use them like any other CR123s... they should be good until 2014, don't sweat it!

If you do a run time test with one, you just used up about 17% of your six-pack purchase. Again, use them like any other CR123s and be glad for the good price!

901-Memphis

Enlightened
I was just interested in the capacity on the half aged shelf life batteries compared to the charts i have seen and the rated hours on the lights i can test it in.

I have 6 of the Ultras and 2 Rayovacs coming in the mail later this week, so i will be pretty well stocked up on the Nitecore EZ 123 until i can get some AW RCR123s

T0RN4D0

Enlightened
Well if you use them on same device you should get the general idea but no certain info. But if you have 6 of them i don't see a point wasting one just to see if it works :]

And if you just want the info on the charge, then i suggest using a more linear burden for the test, LEDs aren't really that suitable for that.

DM51

Flashaholic
You have cross-posted the same thing here, which is a violation of Rule 9.

Normally I would say that a notification of this type would belong in the Good Deals section, except this is obviously not a good deal.

Thread closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.