SF L4 Too Bright for EDC?

kz1000s1

Enlightened
I'll be getting an L4 soon and I was wondering if it might be too bright for some tasks such as close up indoor work.(too bright? no such thing. I realize the heresy of such a statement, but make it anyways.) Or is the beam diffused enough not to glare? How does it compare to an Arc LS and SF E2e in similar situations?

kz1000s1

Enlightened
That's what I do now. Arc AAA-always, plus Arc LS and/or SF E2e, so the low power light will always be covered, but I was wondering if the L4 could also cover the medium power role of the LS without being too annoying.

Gransee

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just one man's opinion but wouldn't a better question be, "is it too large for EDC"? If you have light with you, why not make it as bright as possible? A bright light can be made dimmer (just put your finger over part of the beam) but a dim light cannot be made brighter. Again, this is assuming it is there when you need it.

So you see, brightness does not preclude it from being an EDC. But size can. Because if that bright light is too big to effortlessly carry, then it's the dimmest light of all when you need it most.

A light is certainly not bright enough for the task at hand if it is not with you when you need it. The same rule can be applied to a lesser extent to utility, durability, battery life, bulb life, etc.

Peter

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
there is no such thing as a too-bright flashlight /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/twak.gif

just keep carrying others to compensate when you need them /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

stangster

Newly Enlightened
Even the LSH can be too bright for close up illumination!

And it's much smaller than the L4. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Wolfen

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sorry folks, Shining the L4 in the house, I was worried about the same thing; too bright. Out in the field, not bright enough!

FalconFX

Flashlight Enthusiast
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jpshakehead.gif

You just can't satisfy some people...
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif

Too bright, but too big, too light, but not bright, too yellow, but too green, it's bluer than it is white, but not long burning, but it's bright enough for its short run, but its beam's not good enough, but it throws pretty far, but it gets too hot, and it can't take a dunk, but it's HA is so good, but it's not matching, and it's too expensive, but it's not a cheap plastic light....
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rant.gif

In my own /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif world, a light that's too bright is never bright enough, and a light that's just bright enough is pretty much worthless, unless it can shine a beam to the moon... Hark, I just want a light that's cooler, brighter, more expensive, and just plain better... That can describe the L4, the upcoming LS4, the X990, or any other light...
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif

Oh yeah, go figure that I EDC no less than 6 lights on me right now: L4, McLux, ArcAAA, Photon-III, and A2, with my Tigerlight in my car all the time and with me during night strolls...

dougmccoy

Enlightened
Being a flashaholic means that you are afflicted by a strange and inponderable disease which takes many forms.

It is best not to try to reason the direction that this affliction manifests itself. It is noted that dissatisfaction with their lights is seen in many of the affilcted! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Klaus

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is why besides the KL4 head I was hoping for a 5W version of the dual output L1 - which IMO makes perfect sense for a 5W device - but the L4/L5 products Peter pre-announced using a dimmer sound even better.

Klaus

keithhr

Flashlight Enthusiast
The previous question of "is it to large for EDC" No it is not too large for an edc , especially with the pocket clip which keeps it out of the bottom of my pocket. I used to edc the E2E and another nice light that I used to carry in the bottom of my pocket, now it will be my McLux and my KL4.

K Horn

Newly Enlightened
I don't know about anyone else but my EDC will never be too bright until I can burn a hole in someone, at say, 15ft.
It better have a good run time too...

CAUTION It is not recommended that you use this light without SPF-50 applied to any exposed skin<G>

tattoou2

Enlightened
I must agree with Keith. No, it isn't too large for an EDC! It's just a tad longer than the E2E and this length is negligible (it doesn't mean squat).

The ARC LS, the SF E2E, and now the L4 will all stand on their own merit. The current ARC and the upcoming new offerings from Peter are and will be gems of technology. The SF line will continue to evolve with the L4 and its descendants supplanting the E1/E2.

Personally, I'm just as happy as a June bug basking on a sunflower knowing we have great technology and the individuals who can use it to create our lights. Questions of bright enough, too bright, too large for EDC, not large enough, etc. etc. are for me somewhat redundant and superfluous.

lemlux

Flashlight Enthusiast
You can use the beamshaper that fits the exx flashlights on the KL4 head to create a more diffuse flood if you choose.

Given heat issues and the tighter beam of the MN03, I'm more likely to use the beamshaper with the MN03. The KL4 with beam shaper is, as expected, whiter than the MNO3.

tattoou2

Enlightened
For Peter Gransee:

Peter, your comments above seemingly imply the L4 may be too big for EDC. If this is the case, I strongly disagree. Would you care to objectively clarify what you meant?

My L4, E2E and my ARC LS's are all great for EDC and pocket carry. Am I missing something here?

V8TOYTRUCK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Falcon just about summed up the 1000 posts about the L4! I agree with you. No light is too bright! Im not a long burn time kinda flashaholic. My longest lasting light is probably my Arc AAA.

Gransee

Flashlight Enthusiast
To respond to your question: it depends on you actually. The size may be fine for you to carry with you every day. In that case, it is not too big.

Instead of drawing a line sharply between SF and Arc, I just wanted to offer an opinion on what makes an EDC. This seems to relate to the original post that started this thread.

If you find that you can comfortably carry a particular light every day without defection, then that size works for you as an EDC. Some people can carry a larger light with no problem. But if you find that you accidently leave it at home every once in a while, it is not a good EDC. Because all it takes is once situation where you don't have light to more than equal the cost of that light.

When I meet you guys in person I like to ask what lights you are carrying. Often it seems you leave the big stuff at home, back in your car or in the hotel room. There are exceptions of course. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

For some people, a single 123 cell light like our LSH is too big. If you find you are forgetting to take it with you, then it is too big. It all depends on the individual.

I plan on buying a L4 when I can afford it. I think it is a wonderfull example of American engineering. I think PK continues to hit them out of the park. I can say this while also knowing my limits on the amount of stuff I am going to carry with me every where I go.

For me, the L4 is a great task light and a poor EDC. But this is just my opinion. I certainly don't want to force my opinion on anyone. You have to decide what is best for you and for many, that will mean carrying a 2 cell light like the L4 every day.

Understand also there other factors to add to the list besides size for EDC worthiness. However, I would say size is the first thing because you won't get to the other points if the light is not present when you plan on using it. Just because the L4 may not be a good EDC for me does not make it any less of a light. It is like I said, a fine example of high quality engineering. I strongly reccommend it for any complete collection.

Peter