Computer runs TOO FAST!

turbodog

Flashaholic
I'm working with a new pc so I can put win 7 through its paces. I built the pc and loaded win 7 pro.

The pc is possessed. The clock runs at approx 30x normal speed, as does everything that depends on the clock/timer function. The clock rolls over a new minute about every 2 seconds. The cursor blinks at a VERY rapid rate.

Google searches uncover the following
a. possible link to 'high precision event timer'
b. corrupt timer service

Seems I have ruled out option b from testing and a reinstall. The reinstall took less than 10 minutes by the way.....

Motherboard is current with latest bios/drivers/etc. But bios doesn't seem to have a disable HPET feature.

Anybody know anything about this blasted feature? Seems win 7 is ok without it.... now I just need to kill it somehow. Maybe a registry tweak?

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
LOL you could lag everyone into submission in multiplayer and slaughter them all!!
:D No I can't help. I know nothing about what goes on inside these CPU things.

da.gee

Enlightened
Look in the mirror. Are you aging rapidly? If so pull the plug on that thing quick!

That's a weird one. Does the BIOS clock show the right time? Spyware??

turbodog

Flashaholic
No. Old and new bios both did it.

Bios shows correct time, and windows will eventually fall back to the right time periodically.

No rogue s/w. New pc. Only disk in it has been win 7 and mobo drivers.

Appears that several asus board that are in the m4a78 and m4a785 series have the same problem. Seems to be solved by disabling HPET. But this board has no disable feature. Ideas on how to do this through windows/etc?

On the good side, I can watch a youtube video much faster now.

da.gee

Enlightened
I found this "solution" from someone with a similar problem although the answer didn't actually work. I don't expect it will for you either but on the off chance...

Welcome to Microsoft Answers!

Usually, this issue is caused by Windows Time service corrupt. You can try to take following steps to troubleshoot this issue.

Run the following command in an elevate privileges cmd window.

net stop w32time

w32tm /unregister

w32tm /register

net start w32time

w32tm /resync

Then, please restart the computer to test the issue again.

W32tm.exe is used to configure Windows Time service settings. It can also be used to diagnose problems with the time service. W32tm.exe is the preferred command line tool for configuring, monitoring, or troubleshooting the Windows Time service.

Refer this link for more information:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc773263(WS.10).aspx

You also perform System File Checker.

1. Open an elevated command prompt. To do this, click Start, click All Programs, click Accessories, right-click Command Prompt, and then click Run as administrator. If you are prompted for an administrator password or for a confirmation, type the password, or click Allow.
2. Type the following command, and then press ENTER:

sfc /scannow

The sfc /scannow command scans all protected system files and replaces incorrect versions with correct Microsoft versions.

For further information, visit the below mentioned link: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929833

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
If it is running too fast, put it on a leash until it's housebroken. I used to have that problem with my refrigerator and having some dude calling regularly to see if it was also running so I could catch it.

turbodog

Flashaholic
Thanks. Already tried both. Doesn't work.

I found this "solution" from someone with a similar problem although the answer didn't actually work. I don't expect it will for you either but on the off chance...

Welcome to Microsoft Answers!

Usually, this issue is caused by Windows Time service corrupt. You can try to take following steps to troubleshoot this issue.

Run the following command in an elevate privileges cmd window.

net stop w32time

w32tm /unregister

w32tm /register

net start w32time

w32tm /resync

Then, please restart the computer to test the issue again.

W32tm.exe is used to configure Windows Time service settings. It can also be used to diagnose problems with the time service. W32tm.exe is the preferred command line tool for configuring, monitoring, or troubleshooting the Windows Time service.

Refer this link for more information:

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc773263(WS.10).aspx

You also perform System File Checker.

1. Open an elevated command prompt. To do this, click Start, click All Programs, click Accessories, right-click Command Prompt, and then click Run as administrator. If you are prompted for an administrator password or for a confirmation, type the password, or click Allow.
2. Type the following command, and then press ENTER:

sfc /scannow

The sfc /scannow command scans all protected system files and replaces incorrect versions with correct Microsoft versions.

For further information, visit the below mentioned link: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929833

jtr1962

Flashaholic
Did you check for jumpers on the M/B which might let you disable HPET? I know jumpers seem kind of arcane these days, but it's worth looking.

HarryN

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am not sure about your system, but the clock used to be based on a quartz crystal, not the software and cpu. If that is still true, then the problem is not going to be fixed with bios or other software.

RocketTomato

Enlightened
Do you have a copy of XP you can try to install? That way you can at least determine if it is a hardware or software problem.

RA40

Flashlight Enthusiast
You have one heck of an OC on that puppy. ;)

Has this mobo been in use prior to the Win 7 install?
Did it have timing problems then?
What CPU, is this correctly detected at post?

The default BIOS shouldn't need tweaking. Call ASUS and see what they say.
If a new MOBO, RMA it.

turbodog

Flashaholic
Naw. Bios time is accurate.

This is a known problem with 7. It's something along the lines of the famous black screen of death, just different.

XP is fine, just 7 problem.

I need to find how to disable HPET in bios or through a registry edit/etc.

It's neat to see this in action. So many things are triggered off the timer. You get to see updates to things in slow motion. Would not be bad for a troubleshooting tool.

turbodog

Flashaholic
CPU detection is fine. It's a phenom ii x3 2.8 ghz. Got two nice raptor drives attached in a raid setup. Would like to see some of those 15k rpm units....

StarHalo

Flashaholic
yourspeed.jpg

jtr1962

Flashaholic
I'm laughing at that photo because someone doing such a nice imitation of a TGV would probably be well past the speed checker by the time it displayed their speed. Not that it matters, though. They're already well aware that they're going over the speed limit I'm sure. :devil: Or at least I hope. :eek:oo:

blasterman

Flashlight Enthusiast
The it's obvious you have a motherboard that's not compatible with Win 7 and it's not a 'blame it on Microsoft' issue. It's the hardware makers job to make their products work with Windows, not the other way around.

If it were me I'd send the board back and get a different model before a time stamp corruption issue eventually trashes something important....Or you can write a script to ping a internet time server every couple of minutes (before they block you).

adi

Newly Enlightened
Go to Control Panel, System, Device Manager, Expand System Devices ... thats where you can disable the HPET...

Try disconnecting everything, take the CMOS battery out for half an hour and then re-try it...

Try safe mode...and the usual selective startup options in msconfig...