Ah.... Motherhood....

Quickbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ever seen a Wolf Spider with it's young before?

spider4c.jpg

Yes, those are the baby spiders on her abdomen. When mom catches a bug, all her little ones crawl over the top of her and get a meal from the dead bug.

For reference, it's about the size of a 50¢ piece.

Pic taken at 6:00 am. On my way out to get the newspaper I saw her sitting on the sidewalk - was very cooperative and waited until I could get the camera and UK Sunlight 8C.

It actually let me take several photos, some much larger (1024/768 extreme close up!)

WaltH

Enlightened
Nice picture. I'd like to see the higher res ones as well. If you get a chance email them to me.

Thanks.

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
can you take a picture of it flattened on a newpaper?! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

Kirk

Enlightened
Quickbeam,
Wolf spiders have got to have the most reflective eyes for their size I've ever seen. When you shine a flashlight on them in a field it almost looks like you're shining your light on a cat's eye. Did this one's eyes reflect in your flash?
Kirk

Quickbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
I didn't use the flash - I had it set on auto, but with the UK Sunlight 8C, it was too much light for the flash to activate. Probably the fact that the light was at an oblique angle prevented the eyeshine.

"can you take a picture of it flattened on a newpaper?! "

Sacrilige!!! Spiders eat 1/2 of the insect mass on this planet. Would you prefer double the insects??? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif I tend not to squish spiders, even ones inside if I can scoop them up and toss them out. Did a 60 page research paper on spider silk. Amazing creatures.

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
before i die, i'm going to build a machine that kills 100% of the insect population. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

Empath

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
Sigman said:
...camera?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd suspect so. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
I saved both of the big pics on my end, so I can use one for Windows wallpaper when I get tired of looking at dragonflies, galaxies, or sea water. Hey...the price is right, and so is the resolution! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Sigman

* The Arctic Moderator *
[ QUOTE ]
Empath said:
[ QUOTE ]
Sigman said:
...camera?

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
--------------------
And I thought he was just a heck of an artist!/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif - Thanks Empath!

Quickbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Empath said:
[ QUOTE ]
Sigman said:
...camera?

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

LMAO!!!!

Sony DSC P-50

[ QUOTE ]
...the price is right, and so is the resolution!

[/ QUOTE ]

Enjoy!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

B@rt

Flashaholic
Way off topic, but I'm wondering why people seem to think they are not part of the natural equasion and can get away with anything they dream up... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif

I believe in evolution, but find it pretty hard to detect any, besides the ability to disturbe the natural balance that has developed in time... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

Nature still has the final saying, and loosing the insects would mean that a lot of crop would not be fertalized...

Remember, evolution is not something that has been invented overnight, it is something that has proved itself way longer than we've been around...

We should think twice before interfearing, just because we are able to. JMHO.

BTW, I hope it isn't too obvious I had some bad dreams last night... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
i know, i know...we need them...

but i just hate them /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/twak.gif