Tank007 TK-73& problem: LED dim/flickering

bigbear

Newly Enlightened
hi, i have just received a Tank007 TK-737. the one i have is the model that accommodates either a 1x18650 or 3xAAA as the power source.

when i turn on the torch, a dim light is emitted for about 5 seconds, and then it starts flickering with the brightness diminishing over a period of 5-7 seconds.

this has been the behaviour from when i have first received this torch. there doesn't seem to be any other apparent damage to the unit.

i have tried with various cells that are verified working with a DMM and other torches.

i have cleaned all visible contact surfaces, and verified that the tail clicky isn't the issue by directly connecting the negative terminal of the battery with a section of the body that is non-anodised.

i have been unable to remove the "pill" from the head for any further inspection despite the fact that there are two "pits" that could be used with needle-nose pliers etc for removal. i have applied heat to try to melt any "glue".

what are the normal steps involved in doing further diagnostics of the driver and/or the LED emitter?

TIA