Combine highly-focused beam and general beam?

Status
Not open for further replies.

_Wayne_

Newly Enlightened
Got my LS today and it's great! One of the things I noticed is that it has a much more "flashlight-like" beam than my first LED light, an Impact. A nice smooth transition from center to spill.

In contrast, the Impact's lens is so extreme that it focuses the single LED to an extremely tight beam, providing an insane throw but rendering it useless for me for closeup work.

But why not combine the two? For example, have a forward-facing Luxeon with an extreme lens that throws an incredibly tight beam. Get that light out there 3x farther! Then have a side-throw behind it that's reflected/diffused to give a good spill so you can use it close-up and can illuminate the ground at your feet for walking.

Add a three-step clicker: first click both LEDs on full, second click focused LED at half (or 1/4) power and spill LED at full power, third click focused LED off leaving only spill, fourth click all off.

Just a suggestion. Remember you heard it here first. (I think I have a solution for cooling both luxeons.)

IlluminatingBikr

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sounds like an incredible idea, and well thoughtout too! I like it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.