Do you have a flashlight budget or do you buy impulsively?

the_guy_with_no_name

Flashlight Enthusiast
For a flashaholic, its pretty easy to get out of control on flashlight buying.
I started thinking that I should just decide on a fixed monthly amount that I think is reasonable and that in a moment when Im thinking clearly (not reading about the newest flashlight) I would find as an acceptable amount and then set that as my monthly flashlight budget.

I can justify the spend as my only hobby I have that costs any real money and it's ok to spend xx a month on one hobby.
Think about how much people spend on cigarettes? or even proper hobbies like tennis, parachuting or whatever....

With a fixed budget then, I no longer worry about feeling guilty for buying too many flashlights, and I can actually enjoy searching for my next purchase.

I don't have to spend the entire amount each month, eg. I could choose to spend half the budget and put the rest away for the new Polarion or other last minute surprises that show up.

As long as you set a reasonable and realistic budget, I would think that most flashaholics could live by this?

Any thoughts? What is a reasonable budget?

tgwnn

brett09

Newly Enlightened
I generally only buy 1 new flashlight per paycheck....but this paycheck 4sevens released neutral Ti Minis. And I had to have one, so it was 2 this time. So its partly "No you can't order another light until your paid again", and "!! I have to have that now!!"

To answer your question, how much you spend on your hobby depends on what you can afford after everything else is paid for. Personally that leaves me about $100 to play with every 2 weeks.

blub

Enlightened
I have no thoughts or budget, only urges that overtake my common sense and better judgement..:D

the_guy_with_no_name

Flashlight Enthusiast
Have you ever thought of it as a lump sum?
eg. $100 x 25 = $2500 on flashlights a year!
After 4 years, thats $10 Grand on flashlights.

Justifiable, but just seems like a lot when its added up.

I wonder if I could use the flashlights as a down payment on a house?

Maybe I should spend 50% buying gold bars :)

tgwnn

Echo63

Flashlight Enthusiast
I buy lights that i want.
for the first 6 months of last year, i didnt buy any lights, then the last 6 months i bought an A2, L2, M3, Lumensfactory P7 head, ordered a 2x18650 C-M tube and bought a T1a as well.
basically i dont buy any old light, but occasionally either a bargain i cant pass, or a light i just gotta have comes up

brett09

Newly Enlightened
Have you ever thought of it as a lump sum?
eg. $100 x 25 = $2500 on flashlights a year!
After 4 years, thats $10 Grand on flashlights.

Justifiable, but just seems like a lot when its added up.

I wonder if I could use the flashlights as a down payment on a house?

Maybe I should spend 50% buying gold bars :)

tgwnn

What I meant by 100 is that I have basically 100 to play with after all bills. I didnt mean I buy a 100 dollar flashlight every 2 weeks. I dont even own a 100 dollar light. I probably spend 50 a month, including batteries and all but could afford more, and have spent more. I'm still buying flashlights for the car, nightstand, etc. I have a feeling ill slow down once I run out of places for them.

Launch Mini

Flashlight Enthusiast
No budget per se.
Like the hunt for the light then the kill (purchase)

can't say common sense plays in. Look at my signature.

John_Galt

Flashlight Enthusiast
I tend to do a lot of research on things I want to buy, and save accordingly... But, I keep an eye on the marketplace for good deals, so my last purchase was a well-researched impulsive buy...

kccustom

Newly Enlightened
:paypal:Wait a minute what were we talking about?

I think most of my top shelf light lights are not impulse buys but all of the Cabellas, target, walmart, sams etc. are.

waddup

Flashlight Enthusiast
it was a little chaotic for the first 6 months before i knew anything, now i own most of the lights i want its all slowing down a lot.

i consider a light a tool i have zero desire for a $600 shelf queen.

good $80 lights serve me very well, i typically buy them used for $40, havent lost one or had one fail yet :candle:

i have about 20 lights floating around my life 20 x $40 = $800.

in about 14 months

kelmo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Impulse buyer here. One thing I try to do though is avoid the "bleeding edge." Last years close outs are fine with me and generally cheaper too!

kramer5150

Flashaholic
...One thing I try to do though is avoid the "bleeding edge." Last years close outs are fine with me and generally cheaper too!

x2 to that. I also avoid pre-orders. 9/10 times manufacturers don't even work out all the bugs until several months into production. By that time the pre-orders start to show up on the CPF marketplace.

I budget myself to about ~$25 every month.

Conte

Enlightened
I budget for the most part. Especially for the more expensive lights and parts here on CPF.

I have a personal policy and even mental hang up preventing me from impulse buying. I allow myself to sleep on it.

Did that, before I bought my first mag of the season.
There was another mag I was eyeballing at the local Home Depot for a month before I caved.

I've bought alot of thrift/second hand store gems. Of the over 60 lights I own, most cost less then $10. Often they are on impulse.

One thing about me, is I'm seasonal. I only seem to be interested in Light a few months out of the year. Then I barely touch them for the rest. I have other hobbies I explore just as thoroughly.

If you think flashlights are expensive, and take up alot of room. Try ending a season with a 3 Dirt bikes, 2 more then you planned on owning :huh:

Oddjob

Flashlight Enthusiast
I pretty much buy whatever interests me. Nowadays I am pretty particular and only but light that I really think I'll end up using and keeping.

Morelite

Flashlight Enthusiast
Most of my buys are impulse because they are usually rare, limited editions, or customs and it is easier to buy now while the chance is there and then decide if I like it or not and want to keep it than wait and try to find it after the reviews come out.