Fenix / Nitecore advice please

Burntrice

Newly Enlightened
Firstly hi everyone!

I recently decided i'd like a nice torch to carry everyday, after searching high and low i've narrowed it down to two models.

-Fenix LD10
-Nitecore EZAA

I've only a few requirements from the torch, it has be small, use easy to get hold of, cheap batteries and make mates go "wow i want one"

I've no particular use in mind, just something cool for occasionally peering into machines in work or looking for dropped car keys :)

Would you guys be kind enough to point me in the right direction?
Thanks in advice!

Ajax517

Newly Enlightened
For your purpose you can't really go wrong with either one.
But here are some differences...

The Nitecore EZ only has 2 modes (high and low) and uses a twisty switch.

The Fenix has 6 modes (low, med, high, turbo, strobe, SOS) and uses a tail click switch.

The Nitecore is very slim, barely bigger than the battery and, personally, is the sexier looking light.

The Fenix, however, is the more functionally impressive light. All those modes and once they see strobe they'll all want to play with it.

Good luck with your purchase. I think your friends will be impressed by either of these lights.

derfyled

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi !:welcome:

Something else to consider is the durability if you plan to carry it every day. The nitecore might be more fragile since the aluminum is very thin...

The Fenix should handle more abuse since the body is lot thicker. Let's also mention that you can buy different bodies for different use (2 x AA or 1 x CR123).

jorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
IMO nitecore d10 is more impressive than both of these lights. The piston drive alone makes people say: OOOOO me want, gimme gimme. You don't even have to turn the light on to impress normal (non flashoholics) people:thumbsup:

JKPinPDX

Newly Enlightened
I have the Fenix LD10 and its "one bright sun of a gun" for a compact tough light (which is what I wanted) Multiple light modes, for a "serious small light" and it all runs an simple, cost effective (especially the rechargeable ones) AA batteries you can get anywhere!

My vote is the Fenix. Great tough compact light, comes with a nice case, comes with a clip and it bright as heck all from a single AA battery. If you want even longer battery life and 180 lumens, look at its bigger brother (same style, just longer, take 2 AA batteries and more lumens) the LD20.

Cant go wrong with either of these lights from Fenix. (Fenix, pronounced light the bird and that city in Arizona FYI)
:thumbsup:

Burntrice

Newly Enlightened
Thanks all very much for the advice, its always been a close thing between the fenix LD10 and nitecore EZAA, then derfyled sugested the EZ's big brother, think that won me over.

I Placed my order for a nitecore D10 SP and a deffuser today!, i just hope i dont get addicted like you guys, my pen/pocket knife collection is costing me enough as it is.

Thanks again all :)

derfyled

Flashlight Enthusiast
i just hope i dont get addicted like you guys, my pen/pocket knife collection is costing me enough as it is.

Thanks again all :)

Sorry to tell you that but chances are you WILL get addicted...:devil: welcome to the club!

joepa150

Newly Enlightened
Let us know what you think of the D10 SP. I can't decide between that or the D10 R2

pc_light

Enlightened
Hello Burntrice:

Since not one's warned you yet, allow me... with your discovery of these lights you'd better hang onto your wallet.

Welcome to CPF.

pc

Burntrice

Newly Enlightened
It arrived yesterday and i'm thrillied to bits with it!, nice and bright, wieght feels like you have something sturdy in your hand but its not too heavy, i've no regrets about my choice :)

Quote.
"Let us know what you think of the D10 SP. I can't decide between that or the D10 R2"

As a complete new comer to the flashlight world i dont really know what R2 / Q5 / XP-E and all the other jargon means.

I chose the D10 SP over the normal D10 simply because of the line on the website saying "THESE WILL BE THE LAST BATCH AVAILABLE." this kinda led me to belive the SP was the newer version replacing the normal D10.

I'll get around to posting the "sharp knife and bright light" pictures some time soon, got lovely spyderco i want to show off too:)

Warp

Enlightened
As a complete new comer to the flashlight world i dont really know what R2 / Q5 / XP-E and all the other jargon means.

Emitter type. The main reason lights are progressing so quickly is newer and more efficient emitters.

If you search and read around a bit you will catch on bit by bit.