ever LED?

rajanf1

Newly Enlightened
I got the factory seconds from Brightguy. Less than $30. It is pale green and not puke green (a white light with a tinge of green). Quite acceptable for the price I paid. It is very convenient to install as it is designed as replacement bulb. I have mine in a 2D Mag. The most useful beam for me is the one with a tight focus. In this mode it gives out a longer throwing light than a Madmax in a minimag. However, for shorter ranges, I prefer the Madmax as they are easier to carry and have a whiter light.

Comparing it with the stock bulb of the 2D mag: I would say that with fresh batteries, the incandescent has a longer throw because of its narrower hotspot. Adjusting the head for flood is not very useful because of the light rings. Put it in tight focus and shine it on the ceiling will give you a nice room light and is even brighter than my Madmax in that mode. In partially used batteries, the everled will put out a fantastic light over the stock incandescent.

I am hoping to run it in the future using the 3-to-D battery modules from Elektrolumens and will see how much brighter it will be.

Wylie

Enlightened
I like mine for reasons of battery life and longivity of the product besides making for a very respectable LED flashlight. I use one of mine in a Responder 4AA hand held flashlight and now have the option of throwing a beam a pretty good distance with the stock lamp or the benefits of the Everled that are very nice.
Although I do not have the MadMax I am with the understanding the EveLeds are not quite as bright.

FluffyGrunt

Enlightened
I just got 4 EverLeds this afternoon: 2 white, 1 red, and 1 Teal. So far I'm very impressed,the whites are both whiter then my ArcLS and are putting out roughly the same amount of light. The Teal is a very nice color and quite bright, it throws a good distance in my 4D mag (100 ft easy). The Red is brighter then I expected and lets you see a lot of detail, it really makes things stand out from their surroundings. I got mine from BrightGuy for $37 each.
EverLed Homepage It has dealers on the bottom, all 2 of them /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif.
They seem to be an excellent deal, hopefully they hold up well over time.

James S

Flashlight Enthusiast
The EverLED's don't overdrive the luxeon at all, and in flashlights without enough heat sinking ability they will drop their brightness a little bit more to keep from over heating. but they are still plenty bright! I've had mine for several months now and I use it in a light with no metal heat sinking at all and it continues to work very well.

As a simple drop in mod for almost any flashlight I think they are great. Make your Maglight into something more interesting /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

You do have to be careful though, there is extensive detail on this in other threads but they have no reverse voltage tolerance at all. It turns out many flashlights are actually wired backwards for one reason or another. You really should check to be sure that the center tip is positive and the outer connection is negative before dropping in the EverLED or you will blow it up. ("blow it up" is a technical term meaning it stops working in a hurry, it does not necessarily imply a spontaneous kinetic disassembly of the device)

You can use the cheapest meter from radio shack to verify that, and if you're posting here you should own a meter anyway /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I actually wired mine up in a backwards flashlight and when it didn't turn on I switched off immediately and it was not damaged, but any more time than a second does burn them out...

shankus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Has anyone tried trimming the reflector cone from their EverLED, to mimic a low dome?
I wonder if that would improve the beam any.
I was thinking that the high dome gets great reviews in the Space Needle II, and the low dome might be a sort of compromise between the high dome & side emitter.
(Until they make a high dome version of the EverLED.)

Wylie

Enlightened
Shankus,
I have a spin that I can put on the EverLeds that will allow for focusing abilities not capable with them as they are sold stock. What I am referring to is the black hole effect we all see with our focusing flashlights. Even the EverLeds end up with this black hole when focused to a flood. I can do away with this black hole if I could get some plastics companies to work with me. If I could find someone with the right tools willing to work with me I do have most of the materials to put together almost 100 of these little gems.
Would there be anybody out there interested in an EverLed mod thing?
It is pretty basic and will still allow for the EverLed to be moved from flashlight to flashlight with a smoother beam and no HOLES!