Anything "better" than a Streamlight Fire Vulcan/Fire Box/Vulcan for firefighter use?

GarageBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Anything "better" than a Streamlight Fire Vulcan/Fire Box/Vulcan for firefighter use?

I have an FDNY friend who uses one of the incan models on the job and thinks it sucks and was wondering if there was anything better. His complaints are not bright enough and too heavy (SLA battery, IIRC). He needs high brightness, throw and a decent runtime in a complete off the shelf (no 18650 loose cells please) system.
Thanks

GarageBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Anything "better" than a Streamlight Fire Vulcan/Fire Box/Vulcan for firefighter

Any suggestions?

RobertM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Anything "better" than a Streamlight Fire Vulcan/Fire Box/Vulcan for firefighter

Does it need to be rechargeable, or are primaries okay?

Maybe the new SureFire G2D-FYL (or G3D-FYL for longer runtime) Fire Rescue lights? These would definitely save on weight.

For high brightness, maybe a Pelican 3850 Big D NiMH Rechargeable? It would be WAY brighter than the SL Firebox and weights about 1/4 of the SL too.

Last edited:

silkworm

Newly Enlightened

The Fire Box is a beast. Anything should be better than it. You have to use the shoulder strap and it's better left for officers/supervisors to carry.

I'd just got the Surefire G2D-FYL. Used it at a couple of drills but haven't taken it to any structure fires yet. It works fine. It's small, bright, and very light and I like it for that. Most fire lights are over built and bulky IMO.
I carried a Streamlight Survivor for years. It's a nice angle light that can hang from your coat or air-pack but it's on the heavy side compared to the Surefire. It took years of abuse however. The rechargeable battery finally died but it's not worth buying another one as it costs almost half the price of a new light. The LED Pelican Little Ed is another option. I know a lot of guys who are satisfied with it, but I don't have any personal experience with it yet. If you get the LED version get the one that uses regular batteries not the rechargeable battery pack.

GarageBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast

My buddy is the Supervisor, still thinks its too heavy, bulky and not bright enough

N10

Newly Enlightened

go HID?...polarion or maybe the chaeper ones,don't know how the lithium batts would coups with the heat though(if the lights are exposed to high temperatures)

silkworm

Newly Enlightened

My buddy is the Supervisor, still thinks its too heavy, bulky and not bright enough

Yes, hence the reason he carries it.

I think any of the higher end lights will beat it on weight and bulk and probably even brightness. Run time is very important however, as the Fire Box is often the only light available for the first hour or so of overhaul. Often it gets set in a room like a lamp while the guys work and it will take an hour before someone brings in the flood lights.

I'll have to let more experienced flashaholics make any recommendations as my interest in lights has only just begun.

GarageBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast

I'm leaning on recommending him to get a Big D, unless anyone objects

Kraeken

Newly Enlightened

Is he an EMS boss or a fire boss? If he's fire, tell him to check out the Bright Star Lighthawks that come with the new rigs. If he works in a company with one of the new rigs, he's already used it. I'm planning to get one for myself this year. They're a little expensive, but very light, and I saw a cool video of a bunch of firemen testing them out.

GarageBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast

He's a fire boss. Will let him know about the Lighthawks

woodrow

Flashlight Enthusiast

I have had the firevulcan led...very piercing beam...light weight...but...almost too (possibly not almost) narrow of a spot. Brightstar makes a Lighthawk LED lantern from Brightguy that weighs 2+ lbs has an adults hand sized handle (unlike the streamlights) has a swivel head...and the rear flashers are much brighter. Better beam as well. It is not cheap...but worth it.

GarageBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast

BTW: which version of the Bright Star Lighthawk is the new "official" one?

ganled

Newly Enlightened

Do you need NFPA, CE, intrinsic safety, or other special certifications and requirements? Have you considered a Maxa Beam?

Chicago FD

Newly Enlightened

I know this is an old thread, but I'm an officer in the Chicago Fire Dept, and the best officer flashlight is the new Pelican 9410. Much much brighter than the Vulcan, cuts through smoke, and is pretty lightweight@ 3lbs. I just bought it new online for $199, which was a steal compared to other sites. Free shipping and no tax either. I had the Vulcan, and it was kinda disappointing.

Vinniec5

Enlightened

Try the E-Spot or E-flood upgrade for the Litebox/Firebox totally new light after the upgrade. I have one of each and they are fantastic upgrades. They blow away the halogen spot and make the Halogen flood look like its off. Run time on low more than doubles at 18 hours and output is almost 3 times at the same runtime 8 hours. The output and runtime justify the weight and the upgrade takes 10minutes No BS and 50-65$ cheap for a great fix

herosemblem

Enlightened

Sindewinder or Sidewinder compact?