AIR CONDITIONER

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here is thr deal... it as been recharged sevral times...alwaways stops coooling...I wanted the them to DO a "sniffer" test...but they insisted on a "nitrogin test". It did not find the leak...say it`s better...but at a high price....they charged $180 they suggest it is under the slab...under the house (I have never heard of under the house running of the lines.... but it is true ,,Per MI homes. The house was a leases back (leased it back as a model home). They want to replace the lines at my cost...should I be ok with this? The home is now more then three years old... but ...it was in there care...when they turned the home over the air was NOT working but they supossadble fixed it. It sounds like ...change the sales guy///change the warranty gut...and act dumd...and a problem that was there from the start...now yours. I think this was here from the start... how often do the lines go bad,,,is this normall?

Brock

Flashaholic
That is not normal at all. My parent's lines are 30 years old; they replaced the outside compressor for a more efficient unit and still used the same lines! Something was done wrong from the get go. You shouldn't have to pay for it, but what ever happens, try to get new lines rather then trying to fix the existing ones, unless it is impossible, something isn't right.

tiktok 22

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Ken,

Lines are usually copper and last a long, long time. Definately more than three years. Most leaks are around the schrader valve used for charging the system. Most HVAC technicians can replace the valve without loosing any freon. It's possible that the leak could also be coming from one of the connections. Are they using a compression fitting or are they sweated? If they are using a compression fitting, make sure the fittings are tight. Most sweated fitting don't leak. Not to say they can't, they just usually don't. There are generally few if any leaks under the house. I would make them do a "sniffer" test and check the places that would be considered "weak" spots through the system. Also, look the system over, give it a visual inspection to be sure no damage has occured that might cause the leak. Hope this helps.

cheers,
Kev

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for responding, guess the bottom line is I can`t prove the problem was there from the start. I still question if the nitrogen was is the best way to look for a leak. I wanted them to use a simple "sniffer"...per our pnone call...but I wasn`t there when they came. So they went the way they could charge me the most for. And...they wanted to know if I wanted them to remove the nitrogen and put freon back in it...as they didn`t have time to replace the lines and were leaving on vacation for a week. They wanted an additional $40 bucks to put freon back in there so I could have some cooling till they got back. Two weeks ago these guy came out...they recharged it...and ordered a "accumilator" for it, telling me thats where they thought the leak was as they saw some rust there. After a week I called them to ask if the part had come in (it had not) and requested they come back out and use a "sniffer" to make sure this was even the problem and show me where the accumilator was. Well as I said, I wasn`t there when they came, my mother was. But they said, "Oh guess what, it`s not the accumulator as there isn`t one on this unit". At least they told the truth...my mother did not push them further...like asking them why they ordered the part and told us that was what the problem was... As you can imagine I`m pissed about the whole thing and a little mad at my mom as she let these clowns go on. I have no plans to deal further with these guys. I have a differant air guy coming this evening...at least thats the plan. And I hope having nitrogen in the system doen`t do it further harm. It hasn`t been turned on.

Christoph

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nitrogen to find a leak!They are blowing smoke up someones A**.Nitrogen is for pressure testing and drying out a system.if there is nitrogen in it now it can not cool. If they removed freon it is still yours and they need to return it to you.they are not allowed to charge a known leaking system. are they licensed?
Chris

tiktok 22

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Ken,

Sounds like getting some new qualified technicians is the thing to do. These guys are ripping you off. Sounds like proving this was a fault from the get go might be a problem. You didn't say if the technicians you are using right now are the ones who installed they system? If they are, it sounds like they are trying to bow out of their responsibility and rake you over the coals. Have the new techs. look the system over for leaks. Also, have them check the system for bad parts that might be covered under warranty. If the people that installed the unit were the knuckleheads that are ripping you off, you might confront them with your findings. The word "lawsuit" sometimes tends to put you in priority status. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif