Need advice on getting A soldering gun.

SHINER

Newly Enlightened
Am gonna try and do a few mods.Need advice on getting A soldering gun.I am assuming they have them in different sizes.Where to buy and any certin size or brand.
Thanks.
SHINER /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Silviron

Flashlight Enthusiast
For mods and 95% of general electronic soldering you need a 15-30 watt soldering IRON. A soldering GUN is for heavy duty work and will "kill" a lot of electronic components.

For "run of the mill" mods a $7.00 Radio Shack 25 watt iron will do the job. If you are doing anything fancy with ICs or other sensitive devices you will want a 15 watt GROUNDED iron.

If you get really serious then get an industrial grade Weller soldering unit but be prepared to spend $$$ for that.

AlphaTea

Enlightened
At work I have a PACE MBT-201 I got from Techni-tool.
51 Watt variable temp iron and a seperate variable temp vacuum solder extractor. At $800+ this puppy is sweet!
Probably a little more than you are looking for tho...
Got to R.S.
For less than $25 you should be able to get a pretty good one. If you can, get one that you can replace the tips on.

Doug S

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
SHINER said:
Am gonna try and do a few mods.Need advice on getting A soldering gun.I am assuming they have them in different sizes.Where to buy and any certin size or brand.
Thanks.
SHINER /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

For equipment that is a joy to use, checkout Metcal. Big$$ new but great deals used on Ebay. Checkout this earlier thread:
Metcal discussion

D

**DONOTDELETE**

..2nd-ing Metcal /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

SHINER

Newly Enlightened
One more question.Not really but.
I have noticed all kinds of solder.Haven't got a clue.Just one that will do what I am gonna be doing.Learning how to mod lights.
Thanks.

Silviron

Flashlight Enthusiast
60/40% or 63/37% lead-tin ROSIN core solder is the easiest to use.

Whatever you do, don't use acid core solder on electronics.

I find that using the thinnest solder is easier and less sloppy than the thick stuff.

zmoz

Enlightened
I have a Bernz-o-matic mini torch that runs on butane that I got at home depot. I don't remember how much it was, but it was under $20 and soldering tips were like $6 something. Heats up in seconds, and works great. Cordless...