decisions, decisions.....help needed!

andyr

Newly Enlightened
First of all, Hi.

New UK CPF fan here. Been reading the forum for a while, but thought i'd register. :thumbsup:

Now, I've got a dilemma.

I'm after a new LED FL as my good lady has decided she likes my Fenix P3D Q5 that much I know don't get to see it! :shrug:

Anyway, here's my criteria, any help would be appreciated.

No longer than 6"
No thicker than 35-40mm dia
Pref run on 123 batteries (not rechargable)
High lumen output
Pref Lo, med, high settings
Money no object really (as I don't mind paying for quality)

I've found a few that I like, but I've no experience with any of them, so your input is extremely valued.

Jetbeam RRT2 R2 Raptor
Jetbeam Jet III m
Olight M21 warrior
Eagletac T20 C2
Finally, the Microfire TL3 (but I know very little about this one)

Cheers,

Andy

Last edited:

hyperloop

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: decisions, decisions.....

i would say take a look at the Jetbeam Jet III Pro ST BVC which has 3 individually programmable modes and a choice of using either 18650 or 2xCR123/RCR123s. It's also very durable. I own a first gen Jet III pro ST in fact, its my avatar, dunked in a mug of water for testing waterproofing and runtime.

Great light with a good balance of flood and throw.

pobox1475

Enlightened

If you can get by with two levels a Jet III M. Otherwise the RRT-2. I prefer the warm tint offered as well. OP (orange peel) for smooth beam profile or SMO (smooth) for more throw (distance) but the presence of Cree rings. I have the RRT-2 SMO and find it an outstanding light. A little heavy to be a true all-around carry light but would be nice carried in a 5" Maxpedition tube holster. III M is a little lighter and less technically involving. Perfect versatile light if two CR123's or 18650's are desired IMHO. Look forward to acquiring one soon.

carrot

Flashaholic

Every time the lady takes a light from you it is an excuse to go to the next pricing tier of illumination tools. So you should get a Surefire LX2 or E2L...

andyr

Newly Enlightened

Every time the lady takes a light from you it is an excuse to go to the next pricing tier of illumination tools. So you should get a Surefire LX2 or E2L...

I like that theory :thumbsup:

But, I'm looking for something that will cook steak at 10 paces, so it needs to be something more powerful than my (or now hers) P3D ;)

It's gotta kick more ***....................than an *** being kicked :laughing:

Come on guy's, what's out there?

Cheers,

Andy

carrot

Flashaholic

Oh, OK. Wait a few months and the Maelstrom S1800 will be out... 1800 lumens, SST-90 emitter, 6x123.

Or you can buy an Olight SR90 Intimidator next week, 2200 lumens, $400, rechargeable.

sqchram

Newly Enlightened

I like that theory :thumbsup:

But, I'm looking for something that will cook steak at 10 paces, so it needs to be something more powerful than my (or now hers) P3D ;)

You need a custom light - now, I'm not a pro, but if someone here could possibly recommend an IMR solution that sucks the batteries dry at like 5C in 10 minutes with 1000 lumens at the size of a Jet III, or Olight M21?

Otherwise, from your list, what little I've read of them, the M21 seems pretty neat, but I've read the (1) review that the output is more like 350 lumens or so.

pseudoblue

Newly Enlightened
Another option.. How about the 4Sevens Quark Turbo 123? Takes 2x CR123. It can go lower (moonlight) than the P3D and on Max definitely brighter than P3D too. The Quark Turbo has two programmable modes, bezel tighten and loosen. It has a total of 8 modes (5 output levels and 3 flashing modes) you can choose to program. More info here.

andyr

Newly Enlightened
I think I've narrowed it down to the Olight M21 or the Jetbeam RRT-2.

Whats the general opinion on here?

Cheers,

Andy

jhc37013

Flashlight Enthusiast
There both nice lights the M21 is more of a bright floody light while the RRT-2 is a good thrower so the question is if you have narrowed it down to these two what do you prefer more throw or flood?

I have a RRT-2 in route to me should get it early next week I have only had a few minutes testing it with my friends before.

Same goes for the M21 just tested my friends I was just a little unimpressed with the M21 output but more impressed with the quality and throw of the Jetbeam. That selector ring is really cool to. Good luck

andyr

Newly Enlightened
Nuts!

Just ordered the M21 this afternoon.

Ah well, looks like a good excuse to extend the collection :thumbsup: ;)

Cheers,

Andy

sqchram

Newly Enlightened
Nuts!

Just ordered the M21 this afternoon.

Ah well, looks like a good excuse to extend the collection :thumbsup: ;)

Cheers,

Andy

NOOO!! Heh, hey you'll love the M21 I'm sure .

Now I'm worried that I will have to buy another flashlight!

Last edited: