AE Light Xenide 35/50W

dudemar

Flashlight Enthusiast
Continued from last tread.

Please discuss any manufacturer issues through PMs, let's try to keep this thread on topic.

Looks like AE Light has released their trump card:

http://www.aelight.com/product.php?category=11&id=238

LX50a-web.jpg

LX50_1awebCustom.jpg

-Dual output 35/50W ballast with 4250K bulb

-3600 lumens on low (110 min) and 4900 lumens on high (70 min).

-Claims to project beam out to 2000m, but its useful throw will likely be far less (but nonetheless very useful)

-HA exterior with detachable handle; drilled to fit standard camera tripods

-Holes on the end of handle and battery for a lanyard/carry strap

-Weight: 3.7 lbs w/o handle, 4.3 lbs with handle

-Dimensions: 12" long; the widest diameter on the head is 3.75" tapering down to 2.75"; Battery is 2.25"

-Battery is replaceable and capable of 1000 charge/discharge cycles; features a protective circuit to protect from over/undercharge, and has a replaceable slow blow fuse in the case the battery is shorted

-Submersible to 50m (doubles as dive light)

-Rotating magnetic switch allows user to go from 35W to 50W.

Retails for $2100.

With the build quality of the current Xenides, this 35/50W is a no-brainer. I'm curious to know if this light will have "instant strike" and what its dimensions are (not specified on the AE website).

This will in fact be my next big HID purchase. It may take a while to save up, but who cares.

You gotta love the added detail at the beginning of the light's description: "in association with LEMAX s.r.o., makers of nuclear research and automotive equipment":D

Awesome.

-

Last edited:

bshanahan14rulz

Flashlight Enthusiast
hard enough finding 35/50W ballasts, but this one has a small form-factor too! 35/50W ballast? All's I can say is, :hitit:

tab665

Flashlight Enthusiast
if i were to get this light i imagine id remove the handle (unless of course the light has more girth that it looks). for a 2000 dollar light, the handle sure seems like an after though.

XeRay

Flashlight Enthusiast
if i were to get this light i imagine id remove the handle (unless of course the light has more girth that it looks). for a 2000 dollar light, the handle sure seems like an after though.

The handle in that location is better for balance in the hand. Holding it around the battery section, the head will feel heavy.

I would have to disagree and say the removable handle looks nice and well made. But I do have a vested interest in its sucess as well, I am not totally objective.

Last edited:

dudemar

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think it looks great too. I feel more comfortable with the handle being closer to the head, that way I can activate the switch with my thumb.

tab665

Flashlight Enthusiast
i dont question the placement of the handle, i have more of an issue with the ergonomics of it. its seems a handle with more contour to it would be more comfortable or perhaps the addition of a rubber slip to cover it would providie a more secure grip. at the same time, i can somewhat appreciate the minimalist approach.

XeRay

Flashlight Enthusiast
i dont question the placement of the handle, i have more of an issue with the ergonomics of it. its seems a handle with more contour to it would be more comfortable or perhaps the addition of a rubber slip to cover it would providie a more secure grip. at the same time, i can somewhat appreciate the minimalist approach.

If you are so inclined you can "dip" the hand part of the handle in one of those rubbery plastic products for tool handles. The stuff comes in a multitude of colors. When it wears, you can easily remove the old and re-dip.

jasonck08

Flashlight Enthusiast
When I first saw this light I was shocked to see AE playing in Polarion pricing territory. I was expecting the price to be more around the 1k mark, considering there 20-25W lights are typically in the $400-500 range.

jasonck08

Flashlight Enthusiast
the extent of over 2000 meters seems a bit too optimistic ...! :confused:

It is. So are just about all flashlight "throw ratings"

I think someone should impliment a standard for manufactuers claims of "throw." Even my XP-G R4 @ 1.4A w/ Asperical lens I wouldn't claim that it "throws" more than maybe 200 yards.

I think a small portable light throwing even 1km is way over rated...

andromeda.73

Banned
I repeat, I think the figure is too optimistic, however, are curious to see a test, perhaps against polarion PF40/50 :twothumbs

dudemar

Flashlight Enthusiast
Looks like no one noticed my OP. :shrug:

-Claims to project beam out to 2000m, but its useful throw will likely be far less (but nonetheless very useful)

I like the fact the head and reflector is one piece of aluminum.

Patriot

Flashaholic
I repeat, I think the figure is too optimistic, however, are curious to see a test, perhaps against polarion PF40/50 :twothumbs

As dudemar and other have stated throw figures are subjective but since there is no candlepower or foot-candle standard manufacturers can use whatever they like. Indeed, Vee73 has posted pictures taken from over 1000 meters downrange and there was quite a bit of light falling on the road from the PH50 and Nightreaper, it's just that from 1000+ meters away, the amount of light falling on the area isn't enough to allow the user to see with the naked eye. The PH50 and Night Reaper have a useful range, in fairly dark conditions of about 700 yards. I can see a deer or person standing in a field at that range if they're not to blended with the background. In rural areas I'd the the useful range is more like 400-500 yards because there is more ambient light. In any case, we'll have to see how the AE stacks up against the very efficient Polarions.

Last edited:

elho

Enlightened
Indeed, Vee73 has posted pictures taken from over 1000 meters downrange and there was quite a bit of light falling on the road from the PH50 and Nightreaper, it's just that from 1000+ meters away, the amount of light falling on the area isn't enough to allow the user to see with the naked eye.
And that is described by "projection distance" reasonably well. It is indeed unfortunate that AELight only states this figure on their website, which could easily be mistaken as a throw measure, but you can at least put it into relation with the figures for the existing Xenides.

And in the manual of those, they actually do state both these figures (called "irradiation distance" for a change) and throw values (called "clear vision distance"):

AEX15
Irradiation Distance: 800m
Clear Vision Distance: 160m

AEX20
Irradiation Distance: 1000m
Clear Vision Distance: 180m

AEX25
Irradiation Distance: 1200m
Clear Vision Distance: 200m

Last edited:

XeRay

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is there any other dealer? :thinking:

Not as far as we know in the USA

I DID confirm with Lemax, the ballast is most definitely ours. Our "XePuck", the back 1/2 (ballast only) portion of our "XePod". The complete XePod also includes an igniter or D1S bulb (Philips or Osram)

This same ballast "MAC" has used in his custom(s). 1 done 2 more "in process."

Latest posts