If you could build your own light...

lights-out

Newly Enlightened
If you could build your own LED flashlight:

What kind of batteries would you want?
What size would you want the light to be?
What kind of optics?
What features (SOS, Strobe, Hi, Low, etc)?
What Lumen output (be reasonable for the type and number batteries you give)?
What kind of body / what material is the body?
Is there a comparable light that you like that is similar but you would adjust X, Y and Z?
What price would you be willing to pay for this light?

I am curious to see what people really want. Tons of lights on the market, everyone has different takes.

Enjoy...

Brigadier

Enlightened
NovaTac 120T upgraded with an R2, so call it a 225T, body redesigned[lengthened] to take an 18650 battery. Same UI.

There, I'm happy.

carrot

Flashaholic
What kind of batteries would you want? CR123A
What size would you want the light to be? about 1" diameter and under 4" long
What kind of optics? a nice orange peel reflector
What features (SOS, Strobe, Hi, Low, etc)? high and low only, must be twisty
What Lumen output (be reasonable for the type and number batteries you give)? 10 and 70 lumens
What kind of body / what material is the body? Ti with some kind of texturing, must have a pocket clip and a scalloped bezel
Is there a comparable light that you like that is similar but you would adjust X, Y and Z? yes, and no
What price would you be willing to pay for this light? under $1000

Happily this one already exists.

John_Galt

Flashlight Enthusiast

What kind of optics?
Is there a comparable light that you like that is similar but you would adjust X, Y and Z?

I am curious to see what people really want. Tons of lights on the market, everyone has different takes.

Enjoy...

1 or 2 CR123
1-1.25diameter x 4-6inches
White LED: Cree XR-E, SMO reflector
Secondary flood LED's, similar to Inova Inforce Color: Red,Green, Blue, IR Two levels each secondary output. Rotary selector, like the RRT series by Jetbeam (1 click for each secondary output, 2 programmable 3mode slots for main LED, and one for strobe). Rotation would have to take some effort, to prevent accidental changes.
Main LED: infinitely variable between .2 and 250 (LED) lumens
Aluminum, Ti bezel, removable pocket clip (bezel down carry)
Similar lights: RRT-0/1, Inova Inforce Color
Under $350

Pummy

Newly Enlightened
Ideal world scenario people so please take with a pinch of salt if some things are not realistic.

* CR123 and AA with a body if in a pinch(0.9v to 4.2v compatible)
* QMiNi size
What kind of optics?
* MOP, AR coating and some decent glass (Not sure of which material)
* Rear Clicky and GITD boot which allows tailstanding
* Programmable Thermisistor Protection (Off, Step down output, On)
* Three programmable presets from 0 - 100 with flashes at lowest, highest and each logorathimic level which allows the eyes to set the levels easily.
* Light level setting to be ramp up as per the logarithimic scale the eyes are accustomed to with pauses at each 25th percentile.
* Cell protection circuit with programmable auto dimming to next level down when Vcutoff is reached down to cell minimum safe level for chemistries which require this protection. (This is in addition to the PCB protection on the cell)
* Non Volatile RAM to ensure settings are kept regardless of power loss during cell change.
* Manual cell type setting so that the correct cutoffs are preset for the previous feature.
* Primary, NiMH, Li-ion, LiFEPO4 types supported by the previous feature, which will be preset unless some programming can be done easily (unlikely)
* Tail End GITD feature recharged by flashes every so often instead of a constant current draw to the rear LED, to maintain the GITD lit ouput (programmable with either high charge or low charge to denote amount of current sent to the LED).
* Highest possible per set value at the highest efficiency. Would like 200+ off CR123 Primaries.
* Supplied with Aluminium, but allow possibility to swap out the internals to a Ti or other custom body when body is showing undesirable "wear" or irrepairable. Also ability to change body to something more able to wick heat away if high output running is desirable.
* Do not know enough models to make that statement.
* Whatever is fair for the work to produce it.

tk40

Banned

1xAA
As small as NDI
What kind of optics?
Just like the NDI or Fenix LD20 + angled head like the Zebralights. I hate carrying the lights in my hand, I'd rather clip them to my jacket and leave both hands free.
Variable brightness like the NDI, SOS + Strobe like the LD20 or TK40
200 Lumens for White/Cool tint, 150 for Warm tint
Titanium or stainless steel (slightly heavy is ok with me)
TK40's modes are my favorite but I'd like to add NDI's brightness adjustment capability
$70 or less :twothumbs

Enjoy...[/QUOTE]

sqchram

Newly Enlightened
SST-90 or newer tech.

2500 lumen

1 18650 body w/ IMR 18650

No reflector, just a heatsink and flood.

Short runtime, sure.

Im a noob, is this even possible?

tk40

Banned
SST-90 or newer tech.

2500 lumen

Maybe in another 5 years? We're already at 600+ with 8 AA batteries, lets say following Moore's Law, in 3 years we get 2400 with 8 AA, and give it another year or two to have 2400 on 2 AA's

stallion2

Enlightened
bestflashlightever.jpg

done and done!!!

Chauncey Gardner

Enlightened
Maybe a slightly shorter NDI in cr123 (or liions) with a swith like the Liteflux LFTxt custom jobs with a slot cut for a blue trit.

Same UI is fine

Would like a spare AA / 14500 body, or Jetbeam's nice solution with the new RRT. I really like the dual power source capability and capacity of the cr123 primaries.

So, a slightly smaller, more elegant Jetbeam RRT would just about do it. It looks like a great light and would like to try the newer magnetic actuated UI.

Starting to appreciate the twisties more, but like the forward switches at night with bumps.

Would like a natural Aluminum or would hope for a limited run like NDI had with the Silver in nickel over al. Love the ti stuff, but ....

The Ti Infinitum Batt J made with Olight had the perfect mix of flood & throw for me (decent flood, but great throw for it's size) for an edc that you would also take camping as a second light.

For tint, some of the Q5's I have owned were close to ideal and neutral.
Would like a simple slip on red filter (ala Fenix) for reading & night vision. Not real happy with some of the greenish stuff I have gotten lately (R5's).

I would like to be able to change reflectors also. One of the things I love about the old Dmini was it's lego ability; power sources, light engines or reflectors ...uprades were super easy too. Just email Ricky, lol. Great service. Still one of my favorite lights.

I prefer the smaller lights with very high size / brightness ratios and would like to be able to use AA or cr123 formats. I also live rurally and want / need more throw than most & recognize the bias.

I would also like to be able to use liion batteries in both configurations. Maybe an 18650 spare tube too (I keep a Dmini configured like this on a coat hook as a house light).

Skip the graphics / engraving, for my taste Nitecore nailed nearly everything with the low production Silver version of the NDI.

Oh, square threads also would be nice, regardless of material.

Total output on high maybe 220-250 lumens, with a decent low (again like the NDI UI) and a solid metalic rear switch (obviously if we installing a trit).

That's about it. Maybe a couple slots on the body for trits too (skip the slotted tail then).

The flat square knurling on the Olight Infinitum is some of the best I have seen. Does not damage stuff in your pocket, elegant and still provides enough grip. The new Illuminti they (BattJ) looks to have a similiar treatment (but not flat topped).

Want to be able to remove the clip (or none installed) as I don't generally use them.

Benson

Flashlight Enthusiast
Batteries: 3x18650 (fatso config), or maybe 6x18650. Batteries drop directly in a clover-leaf body, not carriers in a round bore like the M6.
Size: As needed to fit the batteries, but with a fairly slim head (not necessary Solitaire-straight, but not real big.
Optics: Nothing special -- a good MOP or heavier reflector would be OK, as would fairly wide optics. Focusable aspheric would be really nice, but is kinda complicated, so I might skip it...
Features: Brightness control via ring -- could be infinitely variable, could be stepwise (like Neoseikan's Legion II). Singing dancing strobes are acceptable, if they could be integrated e.g. with a separate switch, but not on the mode ring, please...
Output: Full-bore, should be 1500lm or better. Thermal throttling is a must, obviously, so that might only be good for a few minutes...
Material: I love stainless, and with attention to weight at every stage, I could see a stainless-exterior light being manageable, but likely aluminum.
Similar lights: Well, Neo's light (Legion II) is kinda close, in fact I'd like to get one of his at some point, but not really the same.
Price: Well, $50-$100 would be great, right? ;) But $200 is much more realistic. Since this is going to be a niche item, it'd be higher yet, even if it was mass produced. Honestly, I don't know how high I'd go -- if I knew for sure it was really the light I'm thinking of, it'd be worth a lot.

Last edited:

neoseikan

Enlightened
Batteries: 3x18650 (fatso config), or maybe 6x18650. Batteries drop directly in a clover-leaf body, not carriers in a round bore like the M6.
Size: As needed to fit the batteries, but with a fairly slim head (not necessary Solitaire-straight, but not real big.
Optics: Nothing special -- a good MOP or heavier reflector would be OK, as would fairly wide optics. Focusable aspheric would be really nice, but is kinda complicated, so I might skip it...
Features: Brightness control via ring -- could be infinitely variable, could be stepwise (like Neoseikan's Legion II). Singing dancing strobes are acceptable, if they could be integrated e.g. with a separate switch, but not on the mode ring, please...
Output: Full-bore, should be 1500lm or better. Thermal throttling is a must, obviously, so that might only be good for a few minutes...
Material: I love stainless, and with attention to weight at every stage, I could see a stainless-exterior light being manageable, but likely aluminum.
Similar lights: Well, Neo's light (Legion II) is kinda close, in fact I'd like to get one of his at some point, but not really the same.
Price: Well, $50-$100 would be great, right? ;) But $200 is much more realistic. Since this is going to be a niche item, it'd be higher yet, even if it was mass produced. Honestly, I don't know how high I'd go -- if I knew for sure it was really the light I'm thinking of, it'd be worth a lot.

Ah, Thank you for mention Legion II.
If you want 1500+ Lumens, the 6*18650 is necessary I think.
Then, It will be really heavy.

sol-leks

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would love a single cr123 keychain light similar to the quark mini 123 with a neutral emitter and an unfocused aspherical like the romisen rc-c6 if this could be accomplished without adding to the size or not too much at any rate.
I am very happy with the quark mini levels and UI so I would want something similar.
I would probably want it in aluminum, titanium is neat but I find it makes twisty's a bit too difficult to work sometimes.

GregY

Newly Enlightened

Single cell. Tube-lego to support AA, 123, 18650, etc would be good.
~1" dia, ~4" length, give or take 20% or so.
What kind of optics?
A deep OP reflector, or maybe a TIR-type optic. I'm biased a bit toward throw, but don't want a big head. For close up work there's always an Arc-AAA on my keychain, and diffusers exist.
Walking around I find I like low, medium and high available. I'd also like an extra-low and a super-high on tap for different situations. No blinkies or strobes need apply.
From less than 1 to more than 200 lumens. .2/5/25/100/200+ would be good settings.
Type III/HA aluminum is just fine, if it has enough knurling.
Surefire L1/LX1, Fenix L1T, Quark Tactical all begin to approach my ideal, but all need tweaking. My ideal UI is a 2-stage twisty with momentary-on, but I'd like the stages to be programmable.

I have a UI idea- start with a 2 stage twisty with momentary-on (and lockout) like the SF L1. Add programmability, that works as follows:

With the light on, loosen the head 1/2 turn to go into program mode. The stage you're programming is the one you were in when you turned the head. Cycle the light off and on to cycle through the available levels. If the light is off when you tighten the head again changes are flushed. If the light is on when you tighten the head the stage you're programming is set to the currently selected output level.

Simple, quick, effective.

If I think it's worth it, I'll buy it. Can't give hard #'s in advance. Feel free to use my UI, but I'd appreciate some free samples. :D

Enjoy...

wingnut86

Banned
What kind of batteries would you want?...2x cr123a, but will accept 17670
What size would you want the light to be?...5.4" length, 1" Head, 3/4" body
What kind of optics?...Reflector with Lexan window
What features (SOS, Strobe, Hi, Low, etc)?...Head tight=low, head loose=turbo, Double twist=mid, also with a disable-able tailcap low low. Sounds like EagleTac, I know :sssh:
What Lumen output (be reasonable for the type and number batteries you give)?...All #'s are OTF. Turbo=350, mid=150, low=60, low low=5
What kind of body / what material is the body?...Black HA Aluminum, with some knurling and random grooves.
Is there a comparable light that you like that is similar but you would adjust X, Y and Z?...ET P20C2 MKII
What price would you be willing to pay for this light?...Up to $120.

Other Changes: Will accept 1xcr123a extensions. Up to 2 of them. As well as a 2xcr123a extension. This would allow for 2-3 or 4x Cr123a's, 1-2x 17670, or 2x17500's, or 2xAA/14500. accepted voltage would be 2-13.

LED will be Neutral/Warm White, as well as upgradeable like SF and the new Eagletacs and others.

Will come with 2 stainless steel bezel rings, one crenelated, the other smooth.

Pocket clip will be identical to the ones on the Romisen RC-N3's except with a lanyard loop on the other side, and it will fit under the tailcap and held in place by a threaded ring that goes on before the tailcap. Will come with a bi-directional holster with a d-ring, and a snap rather than Velcro. Snaps work much better when hunting than noisy Velcro.

Stainless edge on the tailcap as well, to protect from drops, The switch will be momentary/twist like SF, but with an available clicky as well. It will have a small rubber tactical ring that can go in place of the pocket clip retaining ring, it can be threaded on because it will have an Aluminum threaded base. A slide on clip will be available as well for head up carry, and for when extensions are installed.

That would be my ideal light....:paypal:

Oh, and submersible too!

Last edited:

McAllan

Enlightened
What kind of batteries would you want? 2 x AA (as I'm a big fan of LSD NiMH)
What size would you want the light to be? Guess it speaks for itself given the battery choice :laughing:
What kind of optics? Good question. Good designs exists for both SMO, OP and TIR.
What features (SOS, Strobe, Hi, Low, etc)? Yes please, and medium! And make SOS fast please.
What Lumen output (be reasonable for the type and number batteries you give)? Adjustable around 5, 50, 100 and 170-200 and low levels first.
What kind of body / what material is the body? Stainless steel preferably already "random" polished like kitchen sinks to hide scratches.
Is there a comparable light that you like that is similar but you would adjust X, Y and Z? Yes. I really love the Fenix LD20. Probably the best all-round light I've found so far. Really few and small modifications will make this my dream light. Stainless Steel body, neutral (not cool!) white emitter and a faster (and therefore useful) SOS mode.

What price would you be willing to pay for this light? What it'll reasonably cost retail based on the price of lights already being manufactured

You got that right :whistle:

waddup

Flashlight Enthusiast

-safest, lowest self discharge, long runtimes, single cell.

- i prefer slightly bigger lights (18650), easier to locate, harder to lose.D cell would be fine if the light was short.

What kind of optics?

- 6 degrees, 80% throw 20% spill

-infinitely variable +beacon. or 3, 12, 40, 120 and 250.or close

-250 max

-stainless

-many (and i own some)

-$30-$200 used, i avoid retail :)

I am curious to see what people really want.

-fully potted, water proof, fail proof design.

indestructible.

Last edited:

psychbeat

Flashlight Enthusiast
BATT: 1X 26650
EMITTER: SST - 50 OR 90

natural ano and 3 modes NO STROBE!!!

GITD clickie

Im going to order everything to lego one of these lovecpf

gotta sell some stuff first tho :devil:

Last edited: