My Quark MiNi's tint confuses me

defloyd77

Flashlight Enthusiast
We all read how many hate the green tint of the XP-G, being curious if mine is green but my eyes just don't notice it, I decided to compare it's tint next to other lights of mine. The results have me baffled. Comparing it to my neutral lights (Quark AA and P100A2), it looks white, comparing it to my whitest light (Jetbeam C-LE V2) it looks white, when comparing it to my bluish tinted iTP EOS and some old violet tinted Luxeon light, it looks white, same results with my slightly rose tinted Rebel EOS. Now here's where it gets interesting, next to my aqua tinted L2T V2, it looks more aqua tinted than my L2T, this extreme green tint is what I assume people are disliking about the XP-G. It doesn't end there though, at 7 AM this morning, I decided to compare it to the morning sun, it looked sort of like the tint of my 5A tinted Quark. I've never seen a light who's tint has changed under circumstances like these.

Another thing, the XP-G is said to have the same CRI as the XR-E, but it really makes reds more vibrant than any other LED other than my Rebel EOS and neutrals and same with most other colors. I don't know, I swear when the XP-G was first announced, someone mentioned an improvement of CRI, but Cree's data says otherwise, but seeing beamshots on here and using my MiNi, it really does seem as if the CRI is slightly higher.

What do you guys think of this, is it perhaps just a wee bit past my bedtime?

joshconsulting

Enlightened
Worry less, enjoy more :)

If you can't tell an obvious tint next to a 'pure' white source, your probably nit picking. Take the light as it is, and be happy.

defloyd77

Flashlight Enthusiast
Worry less, enjoy more :)

If you can't tell an obvious tint next to a 'pure' white source, your probably nit picking. Take the light as it is, and be happy.

No, it's not nit picking or worrying, it's pure curiousity. I myself get kind of annoyed with all of these people who complain about the XP-G's and their stereotypical tint. I am very happy with the tint of my MiNi, I'm just a very inquisitive person and I'm just wondering if anyone could explain this very interesting phenomenon.

Saint_Dogbert

Enlightened
I notice just a slight greenish cast to my Mini, but only in certain situations. I understand this is due to the ability of the human eye to adjust to the current color temperature of the ambient light to a certain extent. In some situations my eyes have just compensated for the color cast of a light source in such a way that the light from my mini looks a little bit greenish. The same thing happens with my Quark 2AA Neutral white. Sometimes it looks crisp and white, other times the pinkish-orange is more obvious.

Maybe it's past both our bedtimes?
:sleepy:

Moonshadow

Enlightened
I myself get kind of annoyed with all of these people who complain about the XP-G's and their stereotypical tint.
Could it be that those who are complaining have XP-Gs that are much greener than the ones you have seen ?

It sounds as though yours only has a very slightly noticeable tint when compared to other lights - but others may not have been so lucky. It would be a mistake to assume that everyone has the same as you.

I myself have two XP-Gs that I'm very happy with but we know that they come in a range of different tint bins so I'm quite prepared to believe reports of green ones. I too would be unhappy if mine were noticeably green.

defloyd77

Flashlight Enthusiast
I notice just a slight greenish cast to my Mini, but only in certain situations. I understand this is due to the ability of the human eye to adjust to the current color temperature of the ambient light to a certain extent. In some situations my eyes have just compensated for the color cast of a light source in such a way that the light from my mini looks a little bit greenish. The same thing happens with my Quark 2AA Neutral white. Sometimes it looks crisp and white, other times the pinkish-orange is more obvious.

Maybe it's past both our bedtimes?
:sleepy:

That's perfectly normal and understandable, but how do neutral, bluish, violetish (that sounds funny lol) and light that seems "pure" white make my MiNi white in comparison when my aqua tinted L2T makes it look super aquaish. Usually it's the other way around, my neutrals make me see subtle tints of my other lights and overemphasize them and lights like my L2T make others usually look whiter.

Saint_Dogbert

Enlightened
I dunno. Sounds like the kind of thing I would need to see to understand. It does seem like the reverse of what you'd expect. I think the same principle applies though, it just depends on what your point of reference for 'white' is at the time. There really is no way to obtain a true 'white' with an LED so it's all kind of relative, to a certain degree.