Olight got me again

rwolfenstein

Enlightened
I have a love hate relationship with Olight products. Granted their build quality has gotten better over the years, but I always just know them for being great hand warmers. With all these deals they have going on, I couldnt help myself in not buying a Seeker 4 (mini) and a Warrior X 3 (for a good throwy light with lots of lumens). I dont know why I do it to myself, maybe because I can beat them up and they are so cheap I dont care as much when it breaks.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Won't lie, their offerings are hard to resist.... like when your favorite Hollywood Star invites you up to her place for a nightcap, and you realize she's not drunk. (Or, the Olight Warrior Mini2.)

Beckler

Enlightened
I used to be into Olight but the built-in battery models aren't interesting. You definitely don't want that; not only for long-term considerations (can't replace cell) but also you want option of swapping out cells for continuous use.

Also the magnetized charging cable. I don't think they've thought it through. USB-C is the standard now on all products, so the special cable just means you now have to worry about it, finding it, taking it on trips, and not being compatible with the 500 usb-c cables every person now has everywhere. What's the purpose of it anyway? It would only be useful in the very few cases where you need to charge it multiple times per day - it's marginally easier. For example various commercial applications. Other than that it's worse than pointless for the above reasons.

Also it makes the light 'fragile' when charging - you dont' want to use it while connected since cable will fall off. Whereas USB-C is secure and usable in that way if light supports it.

However I just came up with this way of looking at it. Nobody else is doing it, for good reason, so I guess it's good one company is, for those who might need it! ✔

Last edited:

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Yeah, can't stand the magnitized charging. It's like, "Let me make sure I don't wear my Automatic watch since I'm EDCing the Olight, today."

Also, if that magnetic charging cable gets de-magnitized, you're screwed.

letschat7

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just buy a Milgauss. So no other EDC item is better than a Rolex. I got so many compliments on it from females. No one cares about a torch or a SAK just watches.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Just buy a Milgauss. So no other EDC item is better than a Rolex. I got so many compliments on it from females. No one cares about a torch or a SAK just watches.
Pretty much true.
Thankfully there are other watch options out there. I like Rolex Milgauss but realized fairly early on in my watch journey that I need a date complication.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Olight is a marketing company disguised as a flashlight company.
I can't agree. I remember back in the day when every month a new flashlight company based in China hit the scene here on CPF. Out of all of those Flavor Of The Month companies, I didn't expect one named Olight to be the exception to the rule, stick around, and become one of the top flashlight brands out of the tiny handful of such quality-based companies from China.

Beckler

Enlightened
olightstore.ca at least, is semi-sketchy. I don't trust any of their reviews which are all 5/5 (even tho I'm sure some are genuine). I submitted one which I think was 3/5 and it never showed up, for no reason and it's been weeks. Easiest thing in the world for them to do: just don't publish low ratings. They're not required to, right? "Reviews" doesn't mean ALL reviews, rather, "hey here are some reviews for you". 🤣

The deceptive "% off" stuff should stop too; all retailers everywhere lie about that. All companies should stop all marketing deception too. But will they? 😂 Of course not. Lying and deceiving to enrich oneself is very human unfortunately.

letschat7

Flashlight Enthusiast
In my 20s I needed an in-house Swiss watch that wasn't complicated to set if I spent the whole weekend drinking and needed to set it in a hurry before work on Monday. The dealer upsold me on the milgauss because of the green lense and shielding. It was only $3000 more than a no-date O. P.

I nearly got a Tag but that would have been a waste of money honestly. One of my girlfriends had a smart watch but bit down on it for some reason known only to her and broke the screen. My Rolex got banged around and submerged and kept on ticking.

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
You are going to need scheduled maintenance on that Rolex for the long haul. You need to adjust periodically for accuracy. My old Solar/Radio Calibrated Casio does not attract individuals looking for a sugar daddy but it tells time…

Olight from long ago still works. 13 year old son uses it:

IMG_2084.jpeg

Last edited: