AA (or maybe CR123) EDC light

ToNIX

Enlightened
Alright, I'm a flashaholic without enough flashlights! I only have some Streamlight Propoly 4aa Luxeon bought too long ago. I've been lurking forever here...

I've always wanted a small EDC light, but waited and waited... for too long!

Little background, I do a lot of camping in the summer and I'm a soon to be police officer. I will want to carry the flashlight on me pretty much all the time, when camping and as a backup light. I think a low low would be very useful and I don't really care for the SOS/Strobe mode, but if it's there why not!

I was initially looking only at AA flashlights, but I'm thinking of 123 (but that means I'd have to buy batteries and a charger). I like the AA sizes, which are a tad longer than the 123 models. I only want to go with rechargeable batteries. I have some rechargeable 1300 NiMH AA, but hey I'd just buy newer ones :D

I've pretty much narrowed it down to 3 flashlights (actually 5 models).

- Fenix LD10
- Nitecore D10 R2 (old ramping one)
- Nitecore D10 SP (new one, 3 outputs)
- Quark
- Quark Tactical

My thoughts on each of them :
- Fenix LD10 has no low low and requires 2 hands although you can go from low to high pretty fast (loosened bezel).
- Nitecore D10 R2 seems to have many problems, is it worth taking the risk? I don't really care for the ramping ability. UI seems pretty easy to get to low/high right away.
- Nitecore D10 SP has a new piston model, 3 outputs but it always seems to open in high mode, which kills night vision.
- Quark seems to fix Fenix flaws with a low low. Also requires 2 hands, but can go from low to high pretty fast (loosened bezel).
- Quark Tactical is really nice, but you're only stuck with 2 modes, unless you reprogram. Also requires 2 hands.

Your thoughts? Should I wait for updated versions? I am also opened to other models :)

Last edited:

LightWalker

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: AA (or maybe 123) EDC light

If you got a Quark or a Fenix AA and a 123 body you could carry it with a NIMH recharable AA connected to the head and carry the 123 body and endcap that is provided with a CR123 for when you need it to be brighter and for backup power.

Edit: BTW you can get CR123 batteries online for much less than retail.

RedForest UK

Flashlight Enthusiast

All of those seem pretty good options, although i would definately recommend getting yourself some Eneloop batteries, they have almost twice the capacity at 2000mah and dont suffer from self-discharge like many older NIMh batteries.

You might want to wait and check out some of the new single-cell eagletac 'Personal Compact' or PC series lights, eagletac are well known for pushing lights to the maximum output level while maintaining good efficiency, and these new models look to be really good. :thumbsup:

joe1512

Enlightened

Considered an itp A1 EOS SS? It is a 33 buck stainless steel light that is 1xCR123. It has a 1.5 lumen, 40ish, and 203 lumen modes. Plenty durable, lots of spread, good output. It is not as cool as a titanium light, but it gives you 90% performance at 30% price. Or, a quark mini ti 123 has the latest die and is pretty cool looking.

Regardless of light, I'd consider a 16340 battery which will give you 3.7 to 4.2 Volts (up from 3.0V of a CR123), and it is rechargable. Its a fairly minimal investment to snag 2 of these and a charger. (note that a 'RCR123' can be either 3.0 or 3.6V so I'd skip it due to confusion).

I'd stick it on my keychain and you are good to go.

pwatcher

Enlightened

I wouldn't rule out CR123 lights, as you don't necessarily have to get into rechargeables right off the bat, but can always do that later if you want. Online, 123 primaries only run $1.25 or so at Battery Station, and they are U.S. made!

For light, a really sturdy, and potentially useful defensive light is the Fenix TK11. I'd rec you take a serious look at its capabilities!

thanks for willing to serve in public safety!:twothumbs

jugornot

Newly Enlightened

Dereelight javelin. Later you could get a C2H and swap between the two for aa and cr123 fun.

Brasso

Flashlight Enthusiast

I would stick with AA format and find a light that will benefit from the availability of 14500's, giving you the power of a 123 based light with the option of running AA's if needed.

I have a D10 and think it's a great light. I'm not sure of the problems with them you mention, but it was flashlight of the year. Mine has been flawless.

I usually carry a Peak El Capitan as a back up light on duty. It's only single mode, but it's crazy bright for a light it's size with a 14500. Rock solid. Bullet proof. Momentary with the tail switch.

If I was going to go with something that was variable output though the D10 would be at the top of my list. Mine at least, has a memory. It comes on at whatever level you turned it off at.

Last edited:

Lighthouse one

Flashlight Enthusiast

Dereelight C2H with a $6 adaptor uses both cr123 and AA. 200 lumen...3 light levels. Uses the new XPG led too.

bondr006

Flashlight Enthusiast

Definitely the JETBeam JET-1 PRO V3.0. CREE XR-E R2 with three user definable levels from 2 lumens up to 240 lumens. Uses AA and 14500's. One handed operation. Only 100mm or just under 4 inches....and overall just a beautiful little light. I have carried mine on me every day since I got it about 4 months ago....which says a lot....as I am picky about the lights I carry.

JET1ProV30-1.jpg

JET-1 PRO on the right next to its handsome brother the RRT-0 which takes both 123 and AA sized cells with an extender
RRT-0andJB-1c.jpg

And again....
RRT-0andJB-1b.jpg

JET-1 on left using 14500/RRT-0 on right using rcr123 at about 25ft
Jet1Pro-RRT-0at25ft.jpg

Last edited:

ToNIX

Enlightened

I wouldn't rule out CR123 lights, as you don't necessarily have to get into rechargeables right off the bat, but can always do that later if you want. Online, 123 primaries only run $1.25 or so at Battery Station, and they are U.S. made!

For light, a really sturdy, and potentially useful defensive light is the Fenix TK11. I'd rec you take a serious look at its capabilities!

thanks for willing to serve in public safety!:twothumbs
I'm located in Quebec, so I assume they are a little harder/expensive to get. TK11 seems like a really good light, but a bigger than the other lights. It also only has 2 modes, so that means no low :(

I would stick with AA format and find a light that will benefit from the availability of 14500's, giving you the power of a 123 based light with the option of running AA's if needed.

I have a D10 and think it's a great light. I'm not sure of the problems with them you mention, but it was flashlight of the year. Mine has been flawless.

I usually carry a Peak El Capitan as a back up light on duty. It's only single mode, but it's crazy bright for a light it's size with a 14500. Rock solid. Bullet proof. Momentary with the tail switch.

If I was going to go with something that was variable output though the D10 would be at the top of my list. Mine at least, has a memory. It comes on at whatever level you turned it off at.
Yeah the more I think about it, the more I think a single AA size would be better. 1 CR123 seems too small, 2 CR123/2 AA seems a bit too long. And I could eventually get some 14500 indeed! Love this idea!

D10 is a really nice light, but the new SP only has a R2 cree lamp, which makes me wonder if I should wait for an updated version.

Definitely the JETBeam JET-1 PRO V3.0. CREE XR-E R2 with three user definable levels from 2 lumens up to 240 lumens. Uses AA and 14500's. One handed operation. Only 100mm or just under 4 inches....and overall just a beautiful little light. I have carried mine on me every day since I got it about 4 months ago....which says a lot....as I am picky about the lights I carry.
Now that's a pretty interesting light! No accessories included and R2 lamp, but I love the fact that you can switch the modes of output! Wow, now that makes things even more complicated! Again, worth waiting for an updated lamp?

maskman

Newly Enlightened

+1 for the JETBeam JET-I PRO V3.0. As far as included accessories go, it comes with a lanyard, spare o-rings and extra switch boot.

Buckley

Newly Enlightened

Given your criteria, I would recommend the Quark AA. Inside your tent, I think you will find the Quark's "moonlight" mode very useful indeed. With eneloop batteries, high-end output and runtime are commendable. Later on, if you want to step into the lithium battery world, you can buy a 14500 or two and a charger, which will increase your max output from 109 to 200 OTF lumens.

Good hunting!

selfbuilt

Flashaholic

Check out the links in my sig for round-up reviews of the 1xAA and 1xCR123A classes.

Although some of the newer lights aren't in there yet, you can scan my master review list for some of the newer arrivals.

I'd recommend you don't skimp on the low mode - for camping and other night-adapted vision tasks, you will appreciate a good low. The Liteflux LF3XT is my current EDC, thanks to its good low and versatile dual interface.

:wave:

Jetbeam RRT-0. You can use either CR123, RCR123, AA alkaline, AA NIMH, or 14500. Plus it has a selector ring which is really handy. I'm loving mine, can't put it down.

carl8190

Banned

Alright, I'm a flashaholic without enough flashlights! I only have some Streamlight Propoly 4aa Luxeon bought too long ago. I've been lurking forever here...

I've always wanted a small EDC light, but waited and waited... for too long!

Little background, I do a lot of camping in the summer and I'm a soon to be police officer. I will want to carry the flashlight on me pretty much all the time, when camping and as a backup light. I think a low low would be very useful and I don't really care for the SOS/Strobe mode, but if it's there why not!

I was initially looking only at AA flashlights, but I'm thinking of 123 (but that means I'd have to buy batteries and a charger). I like the AA sizes, which are a tad longer than the 123 models. I only want to go with rechargeable batteries. I have some rechargeable 1300 NiMH AA, but hey I'd just buy newer ones :D

I've pretty much narrowed it down to 3 flashlights (actually 5 models).

- Fenix LD10
- Nitecore D10 R2 (old ramping one)
- Nitecore D10 SP (new one, 3 outputs)
- Quark
- Quark Tactical

My thoughts on each of them :
- Fenix LD10 has no low low and requires 2 hands although you can go from low to high pretty fast (loosened bezel).
- Nitecore D10 R2 seems to have many problems, is it worth taking the risk? I don't really care for the ramping ability. UI seems pretty easy to get to low/high right away.
- Nitecore D10 SP has a new piston model, 3 outputs but it always seems to open in high mode, which kills night vision.
- Quark seems to fix Fenix flaws with a low low. Also requires 2 hands, but can go from low to high pretty fast (loosened bezel).
- Quark Tactical is really nice, but you're only stuck with 2 modes, unless you reprogram. Also requires 2 hands.

Your thoughts? Should I wait for updated versions? I am also opened to other models :)

Hope this helps
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7D4rBFbX2bY

ToNIX

Enlightened

Just saw the video, right before you post it!

Interesting light, but I think I'm leaning towards the Quark or Jetbeam JET-I PRO V3.0. Still unsure, still looking at tons of information!

Not too sure for the Quark UI, regular or tactical... I guess I'll have to win the lotto soon to buy them all :D

carl8190

Banned

The D10sp is so much better than the original in my opinion maybe you should try it :shrug:
more review of flashlights to come :thumbsup:

hunter306

Newly Enlightened

Simple and cheap: EZ AA from Nitecore is a great AA light that has a ridiculously simple UI. They seem to go for sub 40 dollars in the CPFMarketPlace.

Looks like you have a few that you really are considering seriously-- But after carrying my EZ AA for 3 months, I must say it's a great little light! :D

Blades

Flashlight Enthusiast

What about the 4Sevens lights? Or the new Zebralight?