malkoff optic question

S.K.I.

Newly Enlightened
I just got my first Malkoff, a P60LL, for a G2Z. The question I have is the "bead" at the 3 o' clock position on the optic in the photo, is that flashing from the manufacturing process or a dab of epoxy to hold it in place or maybe damage? The drop in works fine and I don't notice anything unusual about the beam. Any ideas?

Ragiska

Flashaholic*
it's part of the optic mold process. that is where the sprue attached, and was subsequently trimmed off.

kramer5150

Flashaholic
As to your second part... the optic snaps into the white retainer. No epoxy is used to secure the TIR lens.

I was able to unsnap mine for a DIY mod, using a piece of clear packaging tape.

Woods Walker

The Wood is cut, The Bacon is cooked, Now it’s tim
Looks like mine too. I was kinda surprised that my P60L seemed brighter even though they are rated the same. In fact most of my lights with a 80 lumen setting appear brighter. Granted it's the LL model but seems like 60ish lumens to me though hard to tell. The tint is a bit green but not so bad and the beam kinda nice.

Edit.

Then again it seems to have a bit more spill so could be wrong. Anyone ever test one of these for output?

Last edited:

Bullzeyebill

Flashaholic
Yes, the LL is probably hitting about 60 ish lumens with two CR123's. Where it excells is with two RCR123's, or three CR123's. Then it is probably 100 lumens or so. There is a thread concerning the M60LL and what people are finding. It is a very flexible module with different voltage imput and seems to run flat with any of them.

Bill

Woods Walker

Yes, the LL is probably hitting about 60 ish lumens with two CR123's. Where it excells is with two RCR123's, or three CR123's. Then it is probably 100 lumens or so. There is a thread concerning the M60LL and what people are finding. It is a very flexible module with different voltage imput and seems to run flat with any of them.

Bill

Thanks for the info and will look for that thread. I don't think that the P60L is brighter than the M60LL inside my all plastic G2 or G2Z after 10 minutes. I am happy with the M60LL and as stated there is only a little bit of green, not the feared squid **** green that I hate. Better a very small green shade than any blue in my view. The bezel on my older OD G2 fits flush with the M60LL but there is a very very small gap with the G2Z. Not an issue as the O-ring is what makes the head water proof. Also seeing how the output is around 60 lumens which is enough for my intended use as an ER/winter pack light somehow I feel it must put out a longer runtime than the listed regulated 8 hours but have not tested this.

On a side note and off topic for sure my older G2 has a non lock out twisty tail unlike the G2Z which can be locked out. I don't think if the cap is set back the G2 would remain on inside the pack as it's momentary only even if the button is pressed unless twisted more so. But does SF sell a lockout twisty tail for the G2 or is this even something that I should worry about?

Last edited:

Kestrel

Flashaholic
Also seeing how the output is around 60 lumens which is enough for my intended use as an ER/winter pack light somehow I feel it must put out a longer runtime than the listed regulated 8 hours but have not tested this.
BigWaffles did a lot of runtime graphs in a thread of his, he has a post of the Malkoff M60LL demonstrating flat regulation for 18 hours (!!) on 2x SureFire CR123's (somewhere around post # 250 +- a few dozen IIRC).

Compare that to the SureFire P60L LED drop-in that does 60-80 lumens for only ~2.5 hours. You own an amazing product with that M60LL. :D

Last edited:

Woods Walker

Oh snap...18 hours. Wow!

Edit.

I found by giving the bezel a twist the G2 is locked out so going to toss the M60LL in the pack with the OD G2. The G2Z still has the P60L. Guessing if Gene makes a M61L I will buy one. Thanks for the info and sorry to the OP for any off topic postS I did.

Last edited:

Woods Walker

Yea a TK10/11 with the same Q5 is doing 60 lumens for 10 hours if I am reading the numbers right. I am going to look up that runtime chart but guessing by eye the M60LL is running 60 lumens so....:twothumbs