power failure light

sstrauss

Newly Enlightened
My girlfriend has given me the task of finding a power failure flashight. The one that I have is awful. I am looking for one that will plug into a wall socket and turn on when the power goes out.
thanks guys
Scott

DougNel

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
sstrauss said:
My girlfriend has given me the task of finding a power failure flashight. The one that I have is awful. I am looking for one that will plug into a wall socket and turn on when the power goes out.
thanks guys
Scott

[/ QUOTE ]

First, you should know the commercial applications use sealed lead acid (SLA) batteries for this purpose, because you can get a lot of power to light a large area and the batteries will last up to 10 years if taken care of properly. These are the big light boxes you see installed on the walls in office towers, etc.

Home users usually don't want something this big, which means using NiCad batteries. I have had a version of the following for about 8 years: Brinkmann Home Guard Gives about 90 minutes of bright light. Fluorescent and is bright enough to light up a room. The battery (NiCad) will last about 5 years if you discharge it periodically, and is replaceable. Costs $30.

For general power outage purposes I recommend that you get one of the new electronic generators that include a light. These are based on SLA batteries and will give very long run times as well as provide a short term source of 12V and 110V power in an outage. Take a look at: XPower Powerpacks The 8 watt fluorescent will last about 25 hours or you can run a 23 watt 110V compact fluorescent (equivalent in light output to a 100 watt incandescent) for about 7 hours. Costs about $90 - $100 depending on where you buy it.

keithhr

Flashlight Enthusiast
Elektrolumens Blaster II will run in candle mode for 24 hours at full brightness and then for a couple of days more at reduced output according to one of the recent reviews that I read.

Joe Talmadge

Flashlight Enthusiast
Okay, for power failure, the top two most useful lights are probably not the kind of lights you're thinking about. The top two most important lights, IMO, are:

1. A headlamp. You'll still want to be able to do things like cook a meal on your gas stove, and you want two hands for that. You'll want two hands to search through your cabinets. You might want to do some reading. Plain and simple, nothing beats a headlamp. The other things you want are long life, and a choice of brightnesses. You can get a Princeton Tec Aurora for just over $20 -- at the price, you can buy one for each of you. It has three levels of brightness, it's on a hinge so you can point it wherever you want. Go buy one, and I guarantee you'll use it more than any other light people recommend, and you'll thank me for it.

2. The other light that can come in handy is some kind of fluorescent lantern. Sometimes it's nice not to have to sit in a dark room for days, and just running it a half hour here and there during mealtimes makes things more bearable. I don't have a specific recommendation for lanterns, but they're easy to find.

Those two are, IMO, the most useful kinds of lights in a power outage. But if what you really want is a handheld light, I feel you're looking for the same attributes I mentioned in the headlamp discussion: long life and dimmable. My eternalight x-ray plays this role, and I sometimes stand it on end and use it in candle mode. If you want something brighter as a just-in-case light, get a UKE 2L. Lithium batteries can go years without use and still run fine, and the UKE is a great tradeoff between runtime and brightness. The elektrolumens blaster that was described above sounds like it has nice characteristics too.

Joe

Floating Spots

Enlightened
As for the florescent lights on inverters (like the Xantrex Xpower)...
A lot of florescent ballasts that I have will not start or run correctly off modified sine inverters. YMMV.

SFR

Newly Enlightened
Don't forget to attach a glowring to your light so that you can find it in the dark /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

DougNel

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Floating Spots said:
As for the florescent lights on inverters (like the Xantrex Xpower)...
A lot of florescent ballasts that I have will not start or run correctly off modified sine inverters. YMMV.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have a Xantrex 300C Plus and have run both 13W and 23W 110V compact florescents with it with no problems. I think the issue is the quality of the inverter--Xantrex generally makes a good product.

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
I don't know about a light that comes on automatically, but...

Anywhere in this house that I am at any given time has SOME light within reach. Which could then get me to the long lasting lights, which are all or mostly LEDs.

Pretty much any direction from my place in bed has something that lights!

Two lights that I figure will last me a long time are: Brinkmann Rebel 2D 4 LED, and a Dorcy 3D (4C) with a rather dim but should last days or even weeks PR based replacement LED bulb with 3LEDs.

OH, and I have C and D batteries enough to go months!

flownosaj

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
sstrauss said:
I am looking for one that will plug into a wall socket and turn on when the power goes out.

[/ QUOTE ]

As much as it hurts to say it--check out Walmart.

They should have one that fits the bill. Standard size flashlight that plugs into the wall and turns on when the juice stops flowing. Not sure of the brand, but I think it may be a Brinkman.

And then you can use it to find all your other high power lights.

-Jason

Tomas

Banned
Someone already mentioned the commercial lead-acid powered emergency lighting and dismissed it as too expensive, but (assuming this link works - it's a weird URL) Lithonia 12W, two light fixture is what I use. Each of mine (I have two) has a 6 foot plug-in cord attached and tiny, stick-on, soft plastic "feet" underneath so they can sit on top of a bookshelf or TV or whatever.

I'm not saying to run out and get some of these, just not to dismiss the lead-acid powered commercial grade lights - they are NOT all that expensive, and there are a lot of different types.

T_sig6.gif
fan.gif

sygyzy

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
DougNel said:
First, you should know the commercial applications use sealed lead acid (SLA) batteries for this purpose, because you can get a lot of power to light a large area and the batteries will last up to 10 years if taken care of properly. These are the big light boxes you see installed on the walls in office towers, etc.

Home users usually don't want something this big, which means using NiCad batteries. I have had a version of the following for about 8 years: Brinkmann Home Guard Gives about 90 minutes of bright light. Fluorescent and is bright enough to light up a room. The battery (NiCad) will last about 5 years if you discharge it periodically, and is replaceable. Costs $30.

For general power outage purposes I recommend that you get one of the new electronic generators that include a light. These are based on SLA batteries and will give very long run times as well as provide a short term source of 12V and 110V power in an outage. Take a look at: XPower Powerpacks The 8 watt fluorescent will last about 25 hours or you can run a 23 watt 110V compact fluorescent (equivalent in light output to a 100 watt incandescent) for about 7 hours. Costs about $90 - $100 depending on where you buy it.

[/ QUOTE ]

How would you use these CFL's with the generator? Are you referring to screwing the bulbs into a lamp and plugging the lamp into the generator? Or do the generators have the lamps built in?

DougNel

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
sygyzy said:

How would you use these CFL's with the generator? Are you referring to screwing the bulbs into a lamp and plugging the lamp into the generator? Or do the generators have the lamps built in?

[/ QUOTE ]

In my case, I just unplug the lamp(s) I was using with the CFL's before the power went out from their now-useless wall sockets and plug them into to Xantrex "generator" (in quotes because it is really a gel SLA battery with a built in inverter). The Xantrex I referred to also has a built in 2-tube 8 watt fluorescent light which can be used independently. It is simply a matter of trading off the amount of light desired versus runtime. The internal 8 watt goes about 25 hours and the external CFL 23 watt about 7 hours.

Double_A

Flashlight Enthusiast
Radio Shack used to make a few lights with all the features you described, check with them.

One more thing though, don't let this be the only flashlight she has.

Rechargeables are fine, but in an hour when the batteries discharge and the power is still out, you've got a problem. She needs a couple fluorescent lanterns for area lighting and a nice handheld flashlight.

Greg

DougNel

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
Double_A said:

Rechargeables are fine, but in an hour when the batteries discharge and the power is still out, you've got a problem. She needs a couple fluorescent lanterns for area lighting and a nice handheld flashlight.

Greg

[/ QUOTE ]

Speaking of lanterns, check out the following thread for the latest, greatest in LED lanterns. Claim is for 40 hours at full brightness on 4 "D" cells: http://www.candlepowerforums.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=UBB5&Number=283695&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=&fpart=1&vc=1

sygyzy

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
DougNel said:
In my case, I just unplug the lamp(s) I was using with the CFL's before the power went out from their now-useless wall sockets and plug them into to Xantrex "generator" (in quotes because it is really a gel SLA battery with a built in inverter). The Xantrex I referred to also has a built in 2-tube 8 watt fluorescent light which can be used independently. It is simply a matter of trading off the amount of light desired versus runtime. The internal 8 watt goes about 25 hours and the external CFL 23 watt about 7 hours.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thank you very much. That makes things alot more clear.

ninjaboigt

Enlightened
I have a gadget named as Sentina Smart Power Failure Light which acts as a power failure light along with emergency flashlight.It is acting pretty useful for me.You can try using it,may be it will also be helpful for you.

exactlly, I think these are the kinda of products the OP was looking for. I've seen some in the nightlight sections of walmart and drug stores and stuff. check them out, its in the nightlight section!

wmirag

Enlightened
I would keep away from the ones that always automatically come on the moment the power goes out. I got some little ones for the kids to supplement night-lights. But other than that they're useless for my needs. They will waste the available power if the outage occurs when you're not even home! They may even wake you up if the power goes out when you're sleeping.

Flourescent or LED lantern + LED headlamp + small multi-level LED lights is the way to go.

W.