Can you check a light w crenulatated bezel on an airplane?

rickypanecatyl

Enlightened
I have before, but I was wondering if anyone had their light taken from them. I know on these kind of issues just because you did it once doesn't mean they will let you do it again... and if you are running a tight schedule for your flight you wont have time to check it in and will probably lose it.

derangboy

Enlightened
Personally, I wouldn't chance it.
My wife took an E2D Defender on the plane recently. She said they were somewhat concerned but were surprised at how bright it was and happily sent her on her way. Not packing that in checked baggage was unintentional and I feel it really depends on the persons monitoring your items. Last fall I was overseas and 3 of my six boardings, security had to verify that my E1L was an operational light. I keep the tail cap locked out so it's a bit of a laugh watching them trying to figure it out! I have yet to meet a flashaholic security person.

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am sure a mild crenelation like Fenix TK10 wouldn't be any problem. But I would not try with THIS one...

Last edited:

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's like a lot of things TSA, depending on the screener and how his day has been he'll/she'll pay no attention, or strip search you. If you are planning on boarding a plane these days, I'd recommend a pre-postaged box or envelope pre adressed in case you have anything they would take away. People forget trinkets like SAK's and such that are banned. Better safe than sorry.

generallobster

Newly Enlightened
I have read about TSA lifting items from checked on luggage (custom knives from knife makers traveling to shows, and even a report of a stolen firearm), so I wouldn't assume your light is any safer from being taken from you regardless of how you transport it. My friend transported his bow in a new skb hardcase that his family gave him for christmas. He specifically asked TSA what the restrictions were and they told him to have the contents inspected by TSA at check in, then lock the case prior to handing it over. He did this and when the case came out the other end, they had taken screwdrivers and prybars to all the locks to force entry effectively destroying the ability of the case to remain closed. It was wrapped up in tape on the other side. The self addressed envelop and carrying it on person might be a good idea.

generallobster

Newly Enlightened
alternatively I would disassemble the light and carry/check-in the pieces, maybe carrying half the parts in carry on. That should stymie the opportunistic TSA agent.

tsask

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have read about TSA lifting items from checked on luggage so I wouldn't assume your light is any safer from being taken from you regardless of how you transport it. ... .

Makes you wanna puke:mad: Some US Troops being deployed overseas a few years ago had their Ipods and other items stolen while traveling by air.

I'd like to think a CR123 Quark Mini would be ok.
I personally would not take a Nitecore Extreme w/ crenulated bezel on a plane. Id be even concerned about them hasssling me over a Quark RGB, just because it's out of the ordinary. Of course the Surefire A2 is designed to look at wingtips for ICE, but I don't think I'd let my fellow passengers, or security see me:eek: performing such an 'inspection' !

They can pretty much prohibit ANYTHING you have.
Its ironic because a flashlight is a vital survival item on a plane or boat or bus etc! I wouldn't mention THAT either:cool:

I would probably carry a 2AA or 2AAA light...Quark, Preon or Nitecore D20.
green laser?? no!
Wonder what what the reaction would be to someone
EDCing an O Light M-30 with 2 18500 cells!?

nbp

Flashaholic
There are many threads already on this topic for further research if you like.

In general, there is no problem with lights on planes. I would not take crenelated strike bezels though.

Recently I flew with an LD01, EX10, P3D, Milky L4, and a G2 in my carryon along with a Keep2Go tube of 123s. One airport TSA agent turned all the lights on and asked about the tube, but let me through with no issue, and in the other airport the bag went through the scanner without a word. It really isn't much of an issue if you don't do anything stupid.

Unclemonkey

Newly Enlightened
It sucks, I wouldn't travel with my lights. For the sole purpose of keeping them out of the grimy hands of a TSA agent. No offense, but I know first had of these clepto's taking stuff. Any agents in the forums know what I'm talking about. *******s :thumbsdow

Flucero28

Enlightened
I have taken my nitecore extreme (crenulated bezel), as well as my D10 on many flights and have never had a single issue.........

rickypanecatyl

Enlightened
That sounded like a great idea to carry a self addressed, stamped box with you... but if there's no post office boxes in the airports that doesn't work.

I've given a leatherman to one of the workers that I forgot I was carrying. As I think about it, that is probably a bad idea... If people start giving them stuff the guys don't let them take thru then that might just encourage them to say no to anything that appeals to them knowing the person will probably just give it to them as oppossed to mss a flight.

I usually travel light and don't like to check anything in if I don't have to,,,

hotlight

Enlightened
It sucks, I wouldn't travel with my lights. For the sole purpose of keeping them out of the grimy hands of a TSA agent. No offense, but I know first had of these clepto's taking stuff. Any agents in the forums know what I'm talking about. *******s :thumbsdow

:thumbsdow to anybody who steals gadgets/ "doo dads" from others. ipods etc are too easy for these tweakers to steal.

I just bought a LM Squirt P4 of ebay which is a NTSA(which I'm guessing means it was seized at an airport) seizure, its different than stealing but still not right(I'd like to thank the "terrorist" who tried to board a plane with a squirt p4 and got me a good deal).....

I wouldn't risk anything but a cheap light now a days in 'todays America'.

Theatre Booth Guy

Enlightened
The past three years, I've had a late January trip to Florida. Each year, I've taken a Ra with it's standard bezel. The light has been tossed into the bin with all the rest of my pocket stuff and has caused zero issues!

However, this past trip, I must have done something wrong as I was "randomly" chosen both leaving and returning for extra security checks.

youreacrab

Enlightened
The past three years, I've had a late January trip to Florida. Each year, I've taken a Ra with it's standard bezel. The light has been tossed into the bin with all the rest of my pocket stuff and has caused zero issues!

However, this past trip, I must have done something wrong as I was "randomly" chosen both leaving and returning for extra security checks.

:) just because tsa misses it doesn't mean it's allowable...

Last edited:

tolkaze

Enlightened
Yeah, I have taken the advice here, and travelled the last 4 domestic flights, and the last 2 international flights with self addressed and paid for post bags to send things home. I haven't needed to, as I chose my lights with care and maybe just got lucky. I think mild crenelations (i.e. Novatac or even something up to the bezels on the Eagletacs) are fine... but anything described as assault, or strike bezel, would be very risky to try and get through security, and would be a bit dangerous to leave in checked baggage (theft reasons mainly)