Anything between a streamlight nano & Quark mini 123?

rickypanecatyl

Enlightened
Hi all - I'm looking for a good keychain light and was hoping to find something size wise betwen the Streamlight Nano and the Quark mini 123.

I love the Quark but want something a bit smaller for a keychain light. I like the yellower beam, the simple L,M,H and the power.

I also have the streamlight nano. What I don't like about it is
1.) Batteries
a. most stores don't carry them. If they do they cost more than the whole light does.
b. they are so small and I have big fingers. Its a project to get all 4 batteries in the tube going the right way.
2.) It can turn on easily and thus be dead when you need it.
3.) I'd like more than 10 lumens though I don't need the 189 lumens the quark mini has.
4.) I'd like 2 or 3 modes as in L/H or L/M/H

I've noticed the A23 size batteries in lots of supermarkets and thought something like that would make a perfect size battery to base a keychain light on. 1 of them is a bit bigger than the 4 button cells required in the nano and being a single battery would be far easier for fatfingered guys like myself to load.

Here's my dream keychain light.

Size - 1/2 way between the nano and the quark mini 123.
power - at least 30 lumens
modes - at least 2 preferably 3 modes with a simple LMH
battery - only 1 - no putting multiple midget batteries together and something if I had to I could buy at Wal Mart or a grocery store (knowing of course on like would be cheaper.)

Is there anything out there like that?

Thanks

Saint_Dogbert

Enlightened
The 4sevens CR2 Ti just came out. I think AAA might still be a bit big for a keychain, and the energy it contains can't compare to lithium CR2 or CR123.

sol-leks

Flashlight Enthusiast
I agree, it sounds like a AAA light is the way to go for you. They may still seem a little long, but they are so thin they really are quite easy to carry.

I carry a quark mini 123 and find its not too bad, but a AAA light was def smaller.

sol-leks

Flashlight Enthusiast
The 4sevens CR2 Ti just came out. I think AAA might still be a bit big for a keychain, and the energy it contains can't compare to lithium CR2 or CR123.

I was thinking of that too, but he said he doesn't want uncommon batteries. Its still a really good option though. one of the best compromises between power and size you can find.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Wow, tons of lights...

What about AAA's?

Maratac
iTP.

Yup, those were the first to pop into my head.

Maratac AAA is best for pocket carry.
iTP version is better for keychain carry. (Especially with the clip removed.)

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
Wow, tons of lights...

What about AAA's?

Maratac
ITP
Illuminati (has LMH)
etc...
This is what you want.
CR2 is big and fat in comparison to AAA, especially the miniscule iTP and Maratac lights, which have a nice selection of 3 outputs and weigh virtually nothing. Unless you get the SS Maratac, which is a joy in itself, with some of the nicest knurling ever, even compared to lights 2, 3 or 4 times it's price.

rickypanecatyl

Enlightened
Wow thanks guys! You're fast!! I didn't figure I'd get any reply's till the morning.

I should clarify on size, I'm thinking both keychain and attach to zipper size so I do want something smaller than a AAA size light.

That CR2 looks really cool ... is it just a shorter CR123 or is it actually slimmer as well?

To clarify on battery availability anything a wall mart would carry is fine with me ... I don't need something so common its at every 7-11; I just want something I can drive to a store to if I run out and don't want to get something on the internet.

I just figured out that the A23 I was originally asking about is a 12 volt battery :eek: ... I do like that size though! Oh and I really like that type of clip they have on the nano - don't know what it is called but it only takes a second to take it on/off your keychain/zipper whatever.

I noticed streamlight themselves do make a light that is about 1/2 way between their own nano and the quark mini 123 in size. I love that size but that particular light seems to be no stronger than the nano (10 lumens) and also uses 4 expensive/rare/akward button cells.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
CR2 cell is shorter, but not slimmer than a CR123 cell.

Sounds like AAA form-factor would be best for you.

sol-leks

Flashlight Enthusiast
Unfortunately there isn't really any other battery options to choose from. You should decide between a better button cell light like the energizer one mentioned above or the popular photon freedom or a AAA light like the itp, illuminati etc.

EDIT: actually looking at that energizer light, its hard to tell exactly but it looks kinda big to me.

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
Another vote for the Maratac or ITP for keychain duty. The Fenix LD01 is also a nice AAA for a bit more money, or, for all the bells and whistles the LiteFlux LF2XT (my favorite pocket light).

Geoff

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast
Probably ideal for you is the ITP A3 EOS,3 modes m-l-h (starts in medium) which i hated at first but for daytime use is actually ideal for me.

Another worth looking at is the Led lenser K3,coin cell but the larger type and they are cheap to buy,bright little fella with push pull focus rated at 14.6 lumens.(I use this light often for evening EDC and it is a good little light).

I have just ordered the larger key chain light from Streamlight (Keymate),bigger than the Nano which I really enjoy.

trampasc

Newly Enlightened
I would agree the itp a3 eos is a great keychain light. Just received two(one for me, one for my wife) in the mail Friday and I really like them.

Gatsby

Enlightened
An interesting dilemma - there are some choices that are somewhere in between those two depending on your budget.

In CR2 size the Quark and the Muyschondt Aeon spring to mind.

But what it sounds like you really want is a Lummi Raw or a Drake/Draco (https://www.candlepowerforums.com/posts/2042985) which are two stage/multi mode lights. However, both use li-ion batteries. They are definitely the size and function however.

The issue is really battery type - anything available at Wal Mart is going to limit you to AAA, CR123, CR2, N cell or some kind of button cells. Since you want something smaller than CR123 that pretty much limits you to a CR2 based light or a button cell light (Photon Microlight or similar would be my suggestion rather than the Nano as the button cells are easier and relatively cheaper). The A23 is a 12v cell which AFAIK there are no lights made to use it probably I'm guessing for some of the same reasons 9v cells don't get much use - to deliver that kind of output means relatively less power density and it would not be terribly practical. N cells are 1.5v but also don't have much of a following mostly for output issues - although Peak did make a Shasta single mode 5mm light based on the N cell that if multi mode isn't critical would be a nice suggestion.

So pick your poison - the right size and function will likely mean a rechargeable li-ion. Common cell availability will mean bigger (CR2 or AAA) or another but perhaps better button cell (Photon).

Tixx

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow thanks guys! You're fast!! I didn't figure I'd get any reply's till the morning.

I should clarify on size, I'm thinking both keychain and attach to zipper size so I do want something smaller than a AAA size light.

That CR2 looks really cool ... is it just a shorter CR123 or is it actually slimmer as well?

To clarify on battery availability anything a wall mart would carry is fine with me ... I don't need something so common its at every 7-11; I just want something I can drive to a store to if I run out and don't want to get something on the internet.

I just figured out that the A23 I was originally asking about is a 12 volt battery :eek: ... I do like that size though! Oh and I really like that type of clip they have on the nano - don't know what it is called but it only takes a second to take it on/off your keychain/zipper whatever.

I noticed streamlight themselves do make a light that is about 1/2 way between their own nano and the quark mini 123 in size. I love that size but that particular light seems to be no stronger than the nano (10 lumens) and also uses 4 expensive/rare/akward button cells.

Quark CR2 MiNi comes with Batter4life so if you only go through them minimally you would not have to purchase them.

That is called the Streamlight Key Mate. I have one. It is kinda big for what it puts out when you have the Maratac and such. Much better bang for the buck.

Do consider the CR2 MiNi.

uplite

Enlightened
Lithium CR2:
15.6mm x 27mm = 5.16 cm³
3.0V x 750mAh = 2.25 wh

Lithium AAA:
10.5mm x 44.5mm = 3.85 cm³
1.5V x 1200mAh = 1.8 wh

So...lithium AAA is 33% slimmer and 25% smaller than CR2, and has just 20% less runtime. Both cost about $2/cell online; AAAs are cheaper than CR2s retail. Plus you can use common alkaline or nimh AAAs, or rechargeable li-ion AAAs, if you want.

AAA seems like a clear winner to me.

If you want a smaller high-power light, consider 10280 or 10180 li-ion cells.

If you want an even smaller keychain light and don't care about blinding output, there are plenty of $1 lights that take 2x2032 cells. :)

-Jeff

p.s. To load your nano, stack the 4 cells on a table or counter, then slide the light down over the stack of cells. I learned that trick from someone else here on CPF. :thumbsup:

Last edited:

RAGE CAGE

Enlightened
lots of good suggestions here- Gatsby mentioned the PEAK Shata- runs off of a single N cell- no too hard to find- and shorter than AAA.
Drawback to OP needs- single mode- pro- you could pick up one up with a 3 led head (below) for about $15.00 -even in Brass as Bob at RMSK is clearing out his older nichia stock. Heads up though-most everybody rags on his website- but he is a decent guy in KY if you want to call him to see what he has left.
EDC.jpg

Last edited:

Buck91

Flashlight Enthusiast
Doesnt the Quark CR2 come with a "battery subscription" for lack of better words?

FWIW, I've been running a Fenix L0D Q4 on my keys for a year or so and absolutely love it. One of these days I need to swap out to a nicer LED, but its just such a great light I find the motivation to be lacking ;)