Quikie Poll - Reflector Cam as Heat Shield?

Databyter

Enlightened
So far on all my hot-wires I have been using the cam part of the reflector even though I don't have the tower from the old Mag switch so it isn't used as a focusing aid.

My thought is that it acts as a heat shield/evener, keeping the heat even around the bulb and probably focusing more of it upward away from the expensive soft start switch, as well as keeping the heat over the entire glass part of the bulb even. I think it's more important that the heat of the bulb housing is even, than having half of it in a position to cool more effectively. And, knock on wood, I've yet to blow a bulb so I must be doing something right.

I realize before someone points it out that it isn't a good heat sink, but I believe it may manage the heat better than just having the top of the bulb in a hot pocket and the bottom of the bulb in a relatively cooler compartment.

It fits nicely over the KUI sockets I use which are good at blocking/reflecting most of the heat back forward in the tube.

Another benefit is that it may help absorbe some of the heat from the reflective coated part of the reflector assy., a minor amount perhaps but something. The cams have a decent amount of meat on them.

I use the Cam on my FM deeps although there is no focus benefit, and also with my KD reflectors, although one of them I just got won't thread.

I'm wondering if it's worth the hassle to try to get another one from someone who doesn't use them for a few bucks, or just realize that perhaps I'm being too much of a perfectionist for something that doesn't really matter much, and probably alot of you don't really think is a big deal, or agree with my reasons.

Thoughts?

Last edited: