Best "all around" user?

RazorMaxx

Newly Enlightened
Best \"all around\" user?

Hi all. I'm new here but not to flashlights. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif I've always had a "thing" about flashlights. My wife thinks it's weird but hey. Anyway, I have not been up on things for a long time so rather than sit and read for hours, or even days I thought I would just ask the pro's.

I am looking for a very good all around user. I want one of the best but don't want to spend more than $150.00 if possible. I have several Mag's (I know, basically a glorified club these days) however I do have the Mag-charger that I use rather often since it's mounted in my truck. I also have a Stinger, Stinger HP, X5T, Arc AAA (which only works half the time for some reason), a Photon 1, and probably a couple of others that slipped my memory. I am wanting to order one of the Surefire KL4? I think it is. Is there anything better or anything else I should consider? Even if I can get one of these soon I will still probably want another type. I've been looking at the ElectroLux and even the Flix. Any others to consider? I don't have the time to do mods so must be able to buy ready to use.

If anyone has a good light to sell used, let me know too.

Thanks in advance and sorry for being so windy. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink2.gif

FlashlightOCD

Enlightened
Re: Best

Welcome to CPF.

"Best" is determined by what you want it for.

For sheer brightness look at the Tigerlight, it is rechargeable and plenty bright and in your price range.

The L4 doesn't have really strong throw, but puts a out a very nice white light good for short to intermediate application and is pretty small size wise.

Your Arc AAA can probable be fixed by taking the head off and cleaning all the black gunk off from the threads [clean both the head threads and the ones in the barrel.

shiftd

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Best \"all around\" user?

Hi
Welcome to CPF /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I got some light for sale here

However, none of these is using 5W LS but these Light also good all around users. I am not saying that these can subtitute L4, but they are nice lights and should serve you well.
The L4 is nice. it got a powerful and nice bright white light. I think it is currently the best all around light available today. be sure to get one /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Oh ya, a little word of caution. Watch your wallet or it will get thinner in no time /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

paulr

Flashaholic

The main limitations of the L4 are: limited throw due to small reflector; heat buildup due to its high power and small size; and high operating costs because of its 123 cells and power drain.

If you want a 5W 123-powered light, you might look at the Pelican M6/McModule combination. It is somewhat bigger than the L4 but will have more throw (bigger reflector) and be able to run continuously without getting too hot (more heatsink mass).

There have been some discussions of mods for either of these lights to use Pila li-ion rechargeable batteries. Search for the threads for those if interested.

You should send your Arc AAA for repair and I'm sure it will come back working reliably. Peter (owner of Arc) loves getting Arcs back for repair, since it helps him identify what problems the lights develop, so he can find ways to prevent them in new lights.

My favorite general-purpose light is my McLux TK, using one 123 cell, a 1 watt Luxeon and the McFlood reflector. It's not really cost effective, but it's an absolute joy to hold and use, or just to look at it while it sits on the table.

The one thing I'd change about it is to crank up the power, using a BB750 and a high-Vf Luxeon III when the Luxeon III's become available.

In practice the light I use the most these days is an Arc LS with the 123 TSP, because I have it with me most of the time (it's smaller than the McLux and I'm less afraid of losing it). However, I may sell it and get a Firefly.

Note that the Surefire KL4 is not a flashlight, it's just a bezel that mounts on the E2/E2e body tube. The complete flashlight including the KL4 bezel, E2e-style body tube, and Z57 clickie tail is called the L4. The L4 costs around $129 from various CPF dealers and the KL4 by itself is around $85, so you're probably better off getting a complete L4 unless you have an E2e you're not using and you want to swap heads.

Hoghead

Flashaholic*

RazorMaxx
Check these out;
ARC LSH-P
Surefire E2e (you can add a KL1 or a KL4)
Surefire L4
Surefire A2
For $150 you can get a very good light.
Welcome to CPF
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hahaha.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink2.gif

RazorMaxx

Newly Enlightened

Wow! You guy's are great! You all gave me a lot to look at, now I just have to find the time to look for them. Seems that I don't have a lot of time lately.

I know what you mean about the money too. I have been into knives for quite some time and they too get very expensive! I think I will have more fun spending money on flashlights though as they can be used for many different things. My 8 yr old loves them too (and knives).

I also took a few minutes several evenings back and began reading some threads on lasers. They sure have come a long way! I still thought the best you could get was something from Radio Shack! I can't wait to get a very nice laser. That will be a lot of fun. We live in the country and like to camp out so lights of any kind are fun as well as useful.

Thanks so much for the warm welcome and please, keep the opinions coming. If it is not too much trouble, maybe you could include a link which would save me a great deal of time since I am brand new here.

BTW, I have not had a chance to check the ones above 4 sale but hope to tomorrow.

Thanks again!

RazorMaxx

Newly Enlightened

Yes, I want an EDC per say. I won't have it on me at "all" times but much of the time. I get up at 3am and work outside until dawn. I currently carry the X5T mainly because of size but it just don't have enough reach at times. I don't care for the beam on the Stingers during those times when using for closer work.

I have been looking at the A2 but am not sure I want to get another incandecent. Also, it looks like the led mode might not be very bright. I have no way to see or test any of these as there are no stores close that carry good flashlights.

I wish there was a good quality light with the LS in 2 or 3 stages of brightness. Maybe there is and I'm not aware of it?

Hoghead

Flashaholic*

The Surefire L1, two levels of light. There is a review
just go to the Main Index & scroll down to Reviews.
I have one in white & I like it.

RazorMaxx

Newly Enlightened

Well I read about the L1 and it does look nice but seems like the low setting might be a bit too low. Is it useful in the low setting? Seems like it might only be 1/2 as bright as an Arc AAA if I'm reading this right.

What is the Arc LS4 and LS5? I have no idea but am open to anything.

Hoghead

Flashaholic*

The low on L1 is in the same ballpark as the ARC AAA,Ultra-G
or the Photon 2. It's a little dimmer, but similar.
The low on the A2 is about half way between L1 low & L1 high
The high on the A2 is about like the E2E. I use my L1 around
the house & yes on low it works for low level light just
fine. I EDC a A2 & a ARC LSH-P & a ARC AAA. The reason I
use the L1 is for the low level of light & I still have
the high level if I want it, but I use low more I think.
I hope this helps.

CM

Flashlight Enthusiast

The LS4 is one of the smallest lights to come out with multiple dimming functions. It is supposed to be more compact than the LSH's which uses the same 123 power source. I find that overall, the LSH-P is the best EDC due to it's diminutive size. It's the light that you won't leave home without. I have other lights that are brighter, but when it comes time to stick something in your pocket, you can't beat the Arcs. You might balk at the use of 123's but I've been carrying the light with the same battery for over two months now. For intermittent use, the 123's seem to last forever in the LSH-P.

CM

jtice

Flashaholic

I think my Arc LSH-P can handle just about any EDC need.
Im loving mine more every day.

Get an Arc AAA for your keychain, and to use as night vision light.
Get an Arc LS as your main EDC.
And buy, or mod a 5W light for when you need ALOT of light.