P60 Suggestions for L2 with Extender

recDNA

Flashaholic
I bought an gunmetal finished L2 a while ago and I really like it. Like the feel, the size, the clicky, and especially the finish. I won't bother with the L2P unless they find a way to do it in gunmetal finish.

Anyway, I liked it so much I decided to buy the extender in case they stop making them in gunmetal before I got one. I generally prefer smaller flashlights but I kind of like the L2 with the extender on it. Looks pretty neat.

Ok, the trouble is now I need a new P60. I've been using the Dereelight low voltage XP-G R5 with a single AW 18650 2600ma. Obviously I can't add another 18650 with that drop in.

I'm looking for max lumens with as much throw as possible but output is my first consideration. I was thinking the Dereelight MC-E but I thought I'd ask in case you folks have any better ideas.

So in order of preference.

1) Max lumens (must be over 450 lumens to be worth adding the extender) so we're talking MC-E, P7, SST-50, or SST-90. I never really need to run it more than 10 minutes at a time on high.

2) Max throw (must meet criterion 1 first - no R2 please)

3) No strobe (I'll take it if I must)

4) If possible, I'd like to be able to use 4 X CR123a but perfectly happy to go with 2 X 18650.

Hrvoje

Newly Enlightened
I agree with you, gray L2 is a very nice flashlight. Can't help regarding P60 module, but I also purchased few gray extenders (just in case) from KD for only $4.66 per piece. Like you, I really like this light :)

Hrvoje

recDNA

Flashaholic
I like the lanyard on yours! I don't have one for my L2. Those I do have are black.

I wonder if there is an incandescent P60 sized drop in that would fit the bill if no LED does? Is there even such a thing as a P60 sized incandescent drop in?

Last edited:

dirtech

Enlightened
Yes there is. Check out lumens factory bulbs. There may be a 9 volt option that doesn't require imr batteries.

recDNA

Flashaholic
I don't mind using IMR18650 or 2 X IMR16340. I just don't want to go to thicker batteries that would require a different host.

Doesn't the Surefire M6 with MN21 bulb produce 500 lumens with just 2 CR123a?

You mention "bulbs". Do they come in a P60 sized reflector like LED P60's?

dirtech

Enlightened
I believe the original P60 was an incandescent bulb by surefire before led became prominent. Yes I think you can get a very bright incan with just two 123 imr bats but very short runtime.

dirtech

Enlightened
Just wanted to add that your l2 switch prolly can't handle the currents of this type of set up.

recDNA

Flashaholic
Just wanted to add that your l2 switch prolly can't handle the currents of this type of set up.

That settles that! I saw 500 lumens when I read about the M6 and thought to myself, "Why am I messing with these weak LED's?" Now I know why. I was just amazed it was possible to get 500 lumens from 2 CR123a primaries.

Noctis

Enlightened
Can the SST-50 be run on 2x18650s? I was pretty sure Nailbender said that it wouldn't happen.

herulach

Enlightened
Theres any number of incan P60 dropins that will push that kind of output. A good start might be the FM D26 bi-pin dropin. 1000 lumens is readily acheivable with that setup, and the clicky should handle it for short periods of time (which is all you'll want to use really high powered incans for.)

If you need something to run for extended periods, an LED is probably going to better.

Hrvoje

Newly Enlightened
I use 9 V lamp assembly from DX (sku 905) in my extedned L2. Not one of the brightest incan module, but one of nicest beam I'v seen. Current draw is only 1.3 A from 2x18650, so the runtime is not bad at all.

Hrvoje

recDNA

Flashaholic
Theres any number of incan P60 dropins that will push that kind of output. A good start might be the FM D26 bi-pin dropin. 1000 lumens is readily acheivable with that setup, and the clicky should handle it for short periods of time (which is all you'll want to use really high powered incans for.)

If you need something to run for extended periods, an LED is probably going to better.

What's the difference between d26 and p60?
If I find one with 500 lumens that's plenty. I'm afraid 1000 lumens would burn my hand in 2 or 3 minutes. I'd like to have 10 minute runtime at a minimum.

FroggyTaco

Flashlight Enthusiast
That settles that! I saw 500 lumens when I read about the M6 and thought to myself, "Why am I messing with these weak LED's?" Now I know why. I was just amazed it was possible to get 500 lumens from 2 CR123a primaries.

Ummm..a M6 uses 6 CR123a primaries & they are used up in 20 minutes at that power level.

herulach

Enlightened
What's the difference between d26 and p60?
If I find one with 500 lumens that's plenty. I'm afraid 1000 lumens would burn my hand in 2 or 3 minutes. I'd like to have 10 minute runtime at a minimum.

P60 is a specific kind of lamp made by surefire to run on 2 primaries. D26 is the generic size of the dropin.

This with a WA1111 and 2 AW 2600 18650 cells should comfortably manage 800 bulb lumens for about 35/40 minutes. Accounting for losses you're probably looking at about 650 OTF.

I don't know how it would perform on primaries, 4 would probably flash it, 3 wouldn't last very long at all.

Noctis

Enlightened
If you want throw, wouldn't it be easier to throw out the L2 host and go for a Lumapower Signature VX SST-50?

Runs on 1x18650 for that pocket-sized convenience, add the Turbo head for a tight and clearly visible hotspot at 200 meters away. 500+ lumens, don't know about OTF.

Personally I think there's going to be a tradeoff between lumens and throw. I doubt even the Moddoo Triple XP-G dropins with 1000+ lumens would throw very far and will spill light all over the place. If you want throw, you'll either need an XR-E emitter or a large head the size of your fist.

I think the Signature VX offers a nice compromise.

recDNA

Flashaholic
I don't like big heads. Throw is second on my list. For example I prefer dereelight r5 to thrunite because dereelight throws further. NEITHER is a thrower. The whole idea is to use the L2 w extender and its own head. If I want a REAL THROWER I'll buy a DEFT.

I am also interested in the signature but I'm waiting for bigchelis to measure lumens and lux.

Last edited:

Noctis

Enlightened
I don't like big heads. Throw is second on my list. For example I prefer dereelight r5 to thrunite because dereelight throws further. NEITHER is a thrower. The whole idea is to use the L2 w extender and its own head. If I want a REAL THROWER I'll buy a DEFT.

I am also interested in the signature but I'm waiting for bigchelis to measure lumens and lux.
I thought bigchelis only did those readings for P60 drop-ins and not the original flashlights?

What precisely do you intend to use this for anyway?

If we're talking about raw lumens, there are only a few that might fit your needs for the P60 size:
-P7 DD/MC-E(zero throw here IMO)/SST-90/SST-50

Or you could try to get someone to make you a custom Triple XP-G drop-in, but I've been told it'll cost me about $250.

recDNA

Flashaholic
I thought bigchelis only did those readings for P60 drop-ins and not the original flashlights?

What precisely do you intend to use this for anyway?

If we're talking about raw lumens, there are only a few that might fit your needs for the P60 size:
-P7 DD/MC-E(zero throw here IMO)/SST-90/SST-50

Or you could try to get someone to make you a custom Triple XP-G drop-in, but I've been told it'll cost me about $250.

I should have added under $100 to the list!

bigchelis does all sorts of lights if the dealer will send him one to test. For example I know he tested the Eagletac P20C2 and T20C2. Check his chart. There are other flashlights as well but you can't ask him to BUY all these lights so someone has to lend him one to test.

I'm kind of intrigued with the idea of an incandescent. I've never had a high output incandescent.

Use? Mostly to play and show off. I've loved flashlights since I was I kid. No idea why. I had no idea anyone else did until I stumbled upon CPF!
lovecpf

BTW - MC-E CAN throw in with the right reflector. My TK40 is the best thrower I have. Of course it has the biggest reflector too.

Last edited:

recDNA

Flashaholic
P60 is a specific kind of lamp made by surefire to run on 2 primaries. D26 is the generic size of the dropin.

This with a WA1111 and 2 AW 2600 18650 cells should comfortably manage 800 bulb lumens for about 35/40 minutes. Accounting for losses you're probably looking at about 650 OTF.

I don't know how it would perform on primaries, 4 would probably flash it, 3 wouldn't last very long at all.

Not 100% clear it will fit L2. I'd be nervous depending on copper tape to take up slack with this high voltage/amps.

WA1111 is out of stock anyway.

Last but perhaps most important I don't do Paypal nor money orders but I'll tell you when in stock the slug plus WA1111 looks like a great deal. Much less expensive than an LED with comparable output.

If something like this were commercially available I'd definitely go for it. Seems like such a great deal I'm surprised I never heard of it before. That's a lot of lumens for under $50!

I wonder if there is a soft start switch available for L2's?

Thanks very much for a great idea even if it doesn't pan out for the moment!:clap:

herulach

Enlightened
Not 100% clear it will fit L2. I'd be nervous depending on copper tape to take up slack with this high voltage/amps.

WA1111 is out of stock anyway.
Litho sells about every commonly used bulb in the MP here, check out the sticky in the Incan forum to determine how much light you want per charge.

Heats not too big an issue unless you have it on for ages at a time.

Last but perhaps most important I don't do Paypal nor money orders but I'll tell you when in stock the slug plus WA1111 looks like a great deal. Much less expensive than an LED with comparable output.

If something like this were commercially available I'd definitely go for it. Seems like such a great deal I'm surprised I never heard of it before. That's a lot of lumens for under $50!
The nearest thing I know of as a turnkey is something like the WF500, thats 25$ for 600+ bulb lumens, with a 800ish bulb available for not a lot more.

I wonder if there is a soft start switch available for L2's?

Thanks very much for a great idea even if it doesn't pan out for the moment!:clap:

Yes, nite sells them, here