Anyone else have a "moonlight" mode?

haplo

Newly Enlightened
I have a Quark 123, and its my EDC, and I love the moonlight mode.

However, I'd like a bigger (2 x 123s, 18650) light that has higher output, as well as a very-low, low.

The best I've found so far is T20C2, which has a low of 5 lumens. But that is still kinda bright for my tastes, and I find that the way to engage it is kinda tedious - you need to start out in turbo or general before you can switch to 5 lumens. I don't want to completely ruin my night vision before I use a low output beam. :green:

I like the brightness and size of the Olight M21, but its not nearly low enough on low. Anyone know of something similar to that level of high, with a really low, low? Any word on the new Maelstrom from Quark? Timeframe, and specs?

Also: neutral white is a big plus, but not a deal breaker.

Thanks all,
H.

haplo

Newly Enlightened
Quark 123x2 with 18650 tube?

I don't know if that'll be enough output for me. I think I may really need to wait for their Malestrom 500s to come out. The Olight M21 is really what I want for a high, (super bright, and not a complete thrower) but I don't want to carry two lights. :rolleyes:

nbp

Flashaholic
My Milky L4 has a super low low. It has four modes, and the lowest one seems even lower than the lowest on my Ra clicky which is rated at .07lm. I had in my mind that Milky had it at about .23lm but I think it's lower based on the Ra. So you could have something modded up that would suit you if you wanted.

angelofwar

Flashlight Enthusiast
Surefire U2...the rings to the right, 2 lumens...all the way to the right, 100...and 4 modes in between.

guiri

Flashlight Enthusiast
Fenix TA21 you can start in any mode you want because of the control ring and it's a very nice light.

Nice and bright too

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
My Milky L4 has a super low low. It has four modes, and the lowest one seems even lower than the lowest on my Ra clicky which is rated at .07lm. I had in my mind that Milky had it at about .23lm but I think it's lower based on the Ra. So you could have something modded up that would suit you if you wanted.
Sounds like these may be the only two lights with a real low mentioned in response to the OP's request so far.

It also sounds like he's interested in having a fairly powerful light at the same time. If you have a lot of money I think what you want will soon be available, but it will be one of the most expensive lights to hit the market yet.
Still, it will be fully programmable, will come on at a very, very, very low if you want.

Read the quote this post in the Tri-V thread!
The code to set very low power levels is complete too and I am happy to report that the power output range of this STFu MK-II converter board is in excess of 30,000 to 1 !!! :) By that I mean that it can go up to 3A (for short intervals) and down to less than one tenth of a mA. At that point it looks so dim that it is hard to see if it is on or not.
It will be a while before this technology trickles all the way down, but it will shortly be available for those with the resources to buy one.

asfaltpiloot

Newly Enlightened
Jetbeam

JET-I PRO EX V3.0:
Minimum Output: 2 Lumens, lasting for 50 hours

JET-I PRO V3.0:

JET-III M:
Min Output: 2 Lumen, lasting for 200 hours :huh:

JET-III PRO ST BVC:

RRT-0:
Lower Low Mode 1 Lumen, 80/100 hours

Not exactly moonlight mode but imho 1 and 2 lumens is still nice.

Robert.

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
Do SF Ti. Titans count?
I was going to post about the Titan and T1A, but he's looking for high output out of the same light. Nothing else that I've seen has a lower low than these two Surefires though, for sure!
Jetbeam
JET-I PRO EX V3.0:
JET-I PRO V3.0:
JET-III M:
JET-III PRO ST BVC:
RRT-0:
Lower Low Mode 1 Lumen, 80/100 hours
Not exactly moonlight mode but imho 1 and 2 lumens is still nice.
Again, all of these have pretty good output, but none of them has the moonlight type low that the OP is looking for.
I just got an RRT-0, SR-3 and Extreme Infinity and was disappointed none of them have low, low setting.
The only one of the three that really suprised me though was the SR-3 with it's 8 levels, and you can hardly tell the difference unless you jump 2 levels.
Just a little further spacing and they could have had detectable differences between all levels and had a super low as well.