Rubbery/Tacky Heatshrink tubing anywhere ?

TooManyGizmos

Flashlight Enthusiast
:confused: I know about skateboard tape , but I don't want gritty surface. And I don't want a line where it meets.

Heatshrink tubing I've seen is slick/plastic type material. I want to cover the body tubes of some lights with a tacky material that is also warm to the touch , to avoid the cold metal in winter .

Only alternative I can think of is Plasti-dip in a can , like you dip plier handles into . But that might peel off ? And would have to be painted onto the central body which might be difficult ?

Anyone ever heard of rubbery/tacky heatshrink tubing ?

Sure could be useful to our light bodies.

? :thinking:

Last edited:

JaguarDave-in-Oz

Enlightened
Mate I felt exactly the same way. I tried the sandpapery grip tape, I tried bathtub anti slip strips and then I discovered diamond criss cross heatshrink grip tube. They sell it for fishing rod handles and you can get it at ebay item 380174020803. Other sizes from the same mob available under other item numbers.

This stuff is just perfect for torches. I have it on my eagletac P20C2's and love it.

Flashlight Aficionado

Enlightened
I have the perfect stuff, but I haven't been able to find it in a store since I bought mine. Here is a link - Cold Shrink Tubing I don't remember what size I bought. I just make sure that preshrunk, it is larger in diameter than what you want to cover. You want the smallest diameter possible. The more it shrinks, the thicker it gets.

I used this stuff as a sword handle and it has held up very well. Be very carefull when trimming, because it wants to shrink. Any cut that is not through the diameter of the tubing will cause it to tear itself apart.

Lunal_Tic

Flashlight Enthusiast
Search for shrink tubing for fishing pole handles, badminton or tennis rackets. I have some that I picked up years ago that has the finish of rough-out leather. It took a heat gun rather than a hair dryer to shrink it and unfortunately I don't know the maker.

Also Plasti-dip does not peal if applied properly, at least in my experience. I've used it on hand tools and dive knife handles and never had a problem.

-LT

mcnair55

Flashlight Enthusiast
Go to a race car prep shop and buy the stuff they use for anti dazzle on dashboards steering wheels etc,would work a treat for lights but warn you now it is not cheap but you would have the coolest looking lights around,maybe the guy may do one of your lights for you next time he has to use the product,you could experiment by using some heat shrink tubing and roughing it up with some very fine emery paper,the higher the number the finer it is.