Torches versus Street Lights which is best?

EMPOWERTORCH

Enlightened
Having spent a few days in Scotland and a weekend in Edale where there are no street lights I found that lighting my way by torch was far better than being blinded in the eyes by very bright high pressure sodium lighting. With a torch you can be selective where you point it, wheras a streetlamp will shed light in all directions and not always light some of the corners. In a low light pollution area I also found that the smaller torches were just as good as a larger ones for finding your way along a street or footpath.
IMHO street lights seem to invite crime as they put everything on show. What can't be seen cannot be stolen! Anyone walking around Scotland will be rendered visible by the essential torch that he/she is carrying, unless they are wearing and using tactical night vision equipment.
So, which would you say is best for where you live or where you holiday?

Unicorn

Flashlight Enthusiast
If there are enough streetlights, and they are intelligently placed, they are effective. Unfortunately many streets don't have enough to light up the entire street. They just create pools of light, and large shadows. It's even worse to me, when driving. I'd rather not have any streetlights at all, since I can see better with just my headlights.

E2E4ME

Newly Enlightened
Where I live, and probably most other medium to large sized cities in the U.S., where there is a lack of adequate lighting, there is crime aplenty! Street lights tend to deter criminals here. For example, the majority of crimes on college campuses occur in dimly lit areas.

Screehopper

Enlightened
I don't like street lights too much because much of the light ends up spilling into the atmosphere. I want to be able to see the stars from where I live.

Some examples of places that have little or no street lighting.... (and crime isn't prevalent in these places)

Some of the islands in Hawaii have strict laws regulating street lights and porch lights (color of light, angle, type of light, intensity, number of, etc). It leads to less light pollution. A plus is that is also leads to better star gazing. Saves electricity too.

Residential areas with big homes (5+ bedrooms) tend to have less street lighting also.

I like the idea of less street lights. Besides, the added benefit is that it'll reduce our electricity consumption. And we will also be able to use our flashlights more often!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast
I live on the end of a private road in a rural area with no street lights and minimum 3 acre lots. To compensate, everyone on the road has their house external lights on till shortly before midnight - no saved electricity here! On the otherhand, I have no idea what current a streetlamp draws... My house alone has 12 external light fixtures, some of which are multiple bulb floods.

But, with all lights off after midnight, you can really see the stars...

Lurker

Flashlight Enthusiast
No question about it, street lights and most other outdoor lighting is usually pretty lousy at providing useful light. It mostly just creates glare and deep shadows and light pollution. It also keeps you from developing much night vision, so when you pass into the darker areas, you can't see as well as if there were no streetlights to begin with.

I think I would easily be better off with no street lights and just a flashlight, and in most cases, I would probably be better off even without a flashlight.

Where did the night sky go?

My city has recently enacted restrictions on what kind of outdoor lighting can be installed, with the purpose of reducing the growth of light pollution, but even the newer, lighting, while much better than the old stuff, is still somewhat annoying.

THEluminator

Newly Enlightened
I hate the streetliiights. They dont provide enough light in enough areas to be useful. Also i cant fully test out my new light unless its completely dark.

Catapult

Enlightened
Street lights in large cities, such as New York City, causes so much light pollution, that in clear nights, the night sky is like twilight. And in cloudy nights, the clouds are just reddish orange from the reflection of the amber street lights. During this time, single LED flashlights will not even light the ground, and incandecents loses much of their throw, because of so much light.

Pi_is_blue

Flashlight Enthusiast
I live outside of the city and there are street lights where I am, so I can actually see the stars and use my flashlights! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

brightnorm

Flashaholic
The large city where I live has bright, very effective streetlights, at least in my neighborhood. It is a comfort to most people and a source of frustration to me.

Brightnorm

lhz

Newly Enlightened
I'd much rather have adequate street lighting than to have to use a flashlight to find my way. Its much safer for the public, esp women and elderly.

lhz

Newly Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
paulr said:
Anti light-pollution site: www.darksky.org

[/ QUOTE ]

Great link with much food for thought. Thanks! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Tomas

Banned
Streetlights provide light for everyone, not just to those who plan ahead and have their torches with them, HOWEVER, I find them MUCH more difficult to carry, especially for long distances ...

On the other hand, I find that torches left at the side of the road to provide general lighting disappear rapidly ...

huh?

EMPOWERTORCH

Enlightened
Street lamps actually reduce visability in most cases for us bikers. Our single headlights have to compete against a forest of lamps all shining in our faces. As all cars do not have window-wipers on the side windows, it is especially a hazard in rain, as the droplets of water scatter the light when you are looking sideways (say at a T junction).
I really noticed how effective my headlight was when I rode around Edale. Because you are behind the light source (as you are with a torch, normally) and the light source is shining away from you, the only light you are seeing is coming from illuminated objects. I also tend to avoid using torches where the bezel is made of translucent material as light is also scattered backwards and sideways reducing the effectiveness of the torch. Many cheap filament torches are notorious for this. I also do not like poorly designed car headlighting for precisely the same reason.

brightnorm

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
Tomas said:
Streetlights provide light for everyone, not just to those who plan ahead and have their torches with them, HOWEVER, I find them MUCH more difficult to carry, especially for long distances ...

On the other hand, I find that torches left at the side of the road to provide general lighting disappear rapidly ...

huh?

[/ QUOTE ]

Tomas,

Get some sleep, take two aspirins and call me in the morning.

Brightnorm