TIGERLIGHT REVIEW AND PICS

Mr Ted Bear

Flashlight Enthusiast
ImageServer.psp

5398 tigerlight 5399 12pm 5400 sl35 5401 m6

REVIEW TIME....
As evidenced by the above photo, the Tiger Light will stand toe to toe, with anybody's light. When measured with a lux meter, it beats them all! So for starters, Tiger Light claims to be brighter than the competition, and it is. It also has a Type III HA Finish
ImageServer.psp

Two weeks ago, when we reviewed the Goncz lights, they were OK.... but the Tiger Light meet, and exceeded out expectations. Frankly, I can't understand how this light hasn't garnered the praise and attention it deserves. This light truely kicks-butt and belongs in every flahaholics collection, bar none.

ImageServer.psp

I note that this light was previously reviewed by one of own Dano Prior Review . Also, the manufacture, Tiger Light has a newly constructred web site. tiger Light I recommend checking out the video clips quite interesting.

I ended up getting the OC spray version of the light. Without the OC canister, the light is basically the same size as an M6
ImageServer.psp

I think the reason the Tiger Light throws so well is becasue of it's highly polished reflector. The first photo shows the reflector with the rubber shock absorber, and the second picture shows the Tigher Light reflector next to a StreamLight reflector
ImageServer.psp

Next is beam pattern. I don't know why somebody suggested that the TigerLight has rings, becasue it doesn't (well, maybe at six inches)

This photo shows the beam pattern at 6inches, 20 feet, and 45 yards
ImageServer.psp

Power supply and run time... I let mine go for 77 minutes before it started to yellow, and at 81 minutes it was doa. So again, the light exceeded the manufactures sepecification of 1.1 hour (66 minutes)

ImageServer.psp

SWITCH PLACEMENT AND PEPPER SPRAY
When I first received the TigerLight, my first impression was that the switch was in an awarkward position. Like others, I am accustomed to the MagLight and Sure Fire... but within a few days, I was OK with the light. Experimenting with the inert pepper spray canister, I realized that I could easily hold and operate the light horizontally, using my pinkie finger and in a split second, tilt the light vertically and out comes the pepper spray. IT WORKS GREAT. (Note: the required button pressure to operate the pepper spray was too much for my 6 year old son, but my 9 year old daughter had no problem once trained)
ImageServer.psp

LEDagent

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'll take a guess...

from least to brightest:
DSC05400 - sl35 (because it isn't as focused as the other lights)
DSC05399 - M6 (because you said i think that the tiger light is brighter at center than the M6)
DSC05398 - Tigerlight
DSC05401 - 12pm (because i heard that the 12pm problably has a ~20watt bulb)

Am i right? Did i win the Tigerlight?
tongue.gif

Velcro

Enlightened
I'll take a guess too.

From least to brightest (as in far reaching):
DSC05400 SL-35X
DSC05401 SF M6
DSC05398 SF 12PM
DSC05399 Tigerlight

Velcro

Size15's

Flashaholic
Jeff,

I've been in contact with Eric at TigerLight to get a UK version.

Thank you very much for the photographs and review.

Al

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
well, darnit, it looks like i will have to buy a tigerlight now...i just bought an ultrastinger!!
bluedead.gif

well, where can i get one the cheapest?
rolleyes.gif

also, how does it compare to the ultrastinger in terms of throw, beam quality, how long does it take to charge? also, you don't have to take the batt out to charge it do you?

is it adjustable focus?

the site says 50,000cp, yet the package says more powerful than a ultrastinger(75,000cp) what is up with that?

dano

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Tiger is brighter than my 1st and 2nd generation Ultrastingers. Beam quality is excellent, especially at longer distances.

Complete charge in about 12hrs, and it charges in a charge cradle.

The focus is NOT adjustable.

I have found that the Streamlight SL series parts will fit a Tiger (including the lens, and aluminum lens ring).

Go over to the dealer's corner area of CPF, as tactical warehouse says he just got some in.

--dan

Mr Ted Bear

Flashlight Enthusiast
How strange... everyone was so excited about the Goncz lights, which were a "dud". This Tiger Light is excellent, and yet, so very few takers. why is that??

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Does anyone who owns both a Streamlight US and this Tigerlight have some comparison shots at a distance? I like the carryability of the Ultrastinger too much to fork over 100+ bucks to get something 'a little brighter' that carries like a Maglight. It's gotta be dramatic, ya know?

moraino

Enlightened
Dano,

Would you try to fit the Tigerlight lamp module in the Mag C or D if you have one.

If it will then a poorman's Tigerlight might be made out of it. Thanks.

Henry

gb6491

Newly Enlightened
Does anyone who owns both a Streamlight US and this Tigerlight have some comparison shots at a distance? I like the carryability of the Ultrastinger too much to fork over 100+ bucks to get something 'a little brighter' that carries like a Maglight. It's gotta be dramatic, ya know?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">I totally agree, the US packs a lot of punch in a rechargeable that is easily carried if you are hoofing it for any distance.
Liked both reviews, thanks Ted and Dano.
Regards,
Greg

D

**DONOTDELETE**

"I don't know why somebody [KT] suggested [said] that the TigerLight [projected spot] has rings..."
smile.gif

moraino

Enlightened
Originally posted by .:
"I don't know why somebody [KT] suggested [said] that the TigerLight [projected spot] has rings..."
smile.gif
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">KT,

Maybe you can answer my question.

Will lamp module fit inside the MAG light? I am thinking buying the Tigerlight lamp and put it in Mag light. Thanks.

Henry

D

**DONOTDELETE**

Henry, I didn't try that. I didn't get much opportunity to use the light. I returned it a few days [Edit:weeks] ago after it sat in my briefcase for weeks. My best guesstimate is that it wil not fit in the Magcharger; another light that I haven't used lately either.

lemlux

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hmmm.... 6 rechargeable NiMHs. BiPin base that looks similar to the spacing of the W/A T-2 1/4 lamps and Carley T-2 1/2 lamps.

Energizer DB6AA's rewired to serial with a ground-off bulb retainer socket with receiver for W/A T-2 1/4 lamp. 6 Rechargeable NiMH's. Hmmm......

The SL-35X head is a little wider than the Mag Charger -- The SL lens is just enough wider that the glass M/C lens can be used stablely in the S/L only against the bezel with the o-ring between the lens and the reflector which lessens water resistance. I'm afraid the Tigerlight LA may be just a little too wide to be a DB6AA mod solution unless I ditch the DB bezel and epoxy a M/C lens to the front of the reflector to protect the lens. Hmmm......

moraino

Enlightened
Originally posted by lemlux:
Hmmm.... 6 rechargeable NiMHs. BiPin base that looks similar to the spacing of the W/A T-2 1/4 lamps and Carley T-2 1/2 lamps.

Energizer DB6AA's rewired to serial with a ground-off bulb retainer socket with receiver for W/A T-2 1/4 lamp. 6 Rechargeable NiMH's. Hmmm......

The SL-35X head is a little wider than the Mag Charger -- The SL lens is just enough wider that the glass M/C lens can be used stablely in the S/L only against the bezel with the o-ring between the lens and the reflector which lessens water resistance. I'm afraid the Tigerlight LA may be just a little too wide to be a DB6AA mod solution unless I ditch the DB bezel and epoxy a M/C lens to the front of the reflector to protect the lens. Hmmm......
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Lemlux,

Dont just hmmm...

Buy the lamp module and see if it fits a Mag or DB. I thik i am nuts....hope you don't mind being my guenea pig....
grin.gif
grin.gif
wink.gif

lemlux

Flashlight Enthusiast
moraino:

I have 4 SL-35X LA's currently on order from Texas Tactical at $9.99@. Two of them will go into used SL-20X's without LA's and batteries (but with chargers) that I bought today on EBAY for $20.50 each. (I wonder what TigerLight LA's cost.)

I had planned for the other two LA's to go into Big Beam 166 mods (remove sealed beams and use 6 D rechargeables in space designed for a 6V lantern battery.) I was going to use NiMH's that might voltage drop to around 6.5V to 6.9 v and hoped that the increased brightness would be more than worth the reduction from the 100 hour expected life of the SL-35X LA with the OEM 6V 5 NiCad D cell battery pack.

I'll will try to fit one SL-35X LA into a DB6AA head and see what happens. If it's close but won't quite fit I'll really be conflicted about seeking out and trying a TigerLight LA.