Should UK become next American state.

hula

Newly Enlightened
I don't wanna be in any United states of Europe - eughh! Only just recently we have been reminded just how impotent this supposed union, in its existing state, is. It would primarily benefit the two biggest mouths in that union more than any others for a superstate to exist. I think we know who were talking about here.
I'm glad we had the resolve to do the right thing and back America. But soon we might not be allowed a say in such matters if this superstate materializes. Already our laws are subject to over-ruling and soon we'll lose our currency and the rest is history as they say. I'd rather we seperated further from europe and negotiated an even greater pact with the US with a view to becoming a member state if they'd allow us. In the end we might not be able to sit on the fence - it'll be one way or the other, you know how I feel.

Hula

Ross

Enlightened
My short reponse is: I agree entirely!! I think the 'union' with Europe is a disaster waiting to happen and dont even get me started on the Euro.............
I'm not sure the answer is to become a member state, and as all the US members I hope would agree, we are the CLOSEST ally that the USA has. Maybe a binding pact is the answer?
If the SHTF I would side with the USA anyday.

Ross

Silviron

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thank you for your support, Great Britain.... Sincerely.

Sorry that Iraq thing caused so much divisiveness over there.

Yes, Definitely run away from that EU thing as fast as you can.

There was an article in one of the Australia Papers a few days ago about Australia becoming a part of the US... It was just a speculative piece, but it goes along with your sentiments.

Skyline

Enlightened
The UK rocks!!! Many Americans genuinely appreciate the support the UK has provided in recent events and also all through these years. It does NOT go unnoticed by your American friends. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Greta

Flashaholic
The European Union commissioners have announced that agreement has been reached to adopt English as the preferred language for European communications, rather than German, which was the other possibility. As part of the negotiations, the British government conceded that English spelling had some room for improvement and has been accepted a five year phased plan for what will be known as EuroEnglish (Euro for short). In the first year, "s" will be used instead of the soft "c". Sertainly, sivil servants will reseive this news with joy. Also, the hard "c" will be replaced with "k". Not only will this klear up konfusion, but typewriters kan have one less letter. There will be growing public enthusiasm in the sekond year, when the troublesome "ph" will be replased by "f". This will make words like "fotograf" 20 persent shorter. In the third year, publik akseptanse of the new spelling kan be expekted to reach the stage where more komplikated changes are possible. Governments will enkorage the removal of double letters, which have always ben a deterent to akurate speling. Also, al wil agre that the horible mes of silent "e"s in the language is disgrasful, and they would go. By the fourth year, peopl wil be reseptiv to steps such as replasing "th" by "z" and "w" by "v". During ze fifz year, ze unesesary "0" kan be dropd from vords kontaining "ou", and similar changes vud, of kors, be aplid to ozer kombinations of leters. Und efter ze fifz yer, ve vil al be speking German lik zey vunted in ze forst plas...

Empath

Flashaholic
Hey! I'm trying to maintain my no humor reputation, and here you've got me cackling like an idiot. Have you no respect? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/twak.gif

Greta

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
Empath said:
...and here you've got me cackling like an idiot.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL!!! I'd pay good money to see that... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif

Klaus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Second that /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif - even with the whole scenario of choice between english/german being unrealistic as the french would NEVER ever allow any of those being dominant in the EU - like their lunatic quest against the english language dominating the WEB /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon23.gif

Klaus

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sasha - that was great! Very clever!

I truly appreciate the support of the UK, and know it can be awfully difficult sometimes. My wife and I had the good fortune of meeting several wonderful couples from the UK on a sailing cruise in the Carribbean this January. We had a great time, and I was amused to find that I had to convince them that the UK was not a "weaker sister" to the US. In fact, I represented that that is really like looking through the wrong end of the telescope! Truth is, even though assuming the role and benefits of being a melting pot of cultures, WE ARE YOU! We are truly brothers, and share so much in the belief in our values (as with Australia). I live in a part of the US called, "New England". A reminder of our origins, as are a great many of the place names here. We jokingly call each other, "cousins". But I believe "brothers and sisters" is more appropriate!

I don't know if making one big country out of the UK, Australia and US is a good idea or not. Could be. Haven't really thought about it. I don't think it's necessary, when a pact will do! Who knows. Lots of talk to be had on that one! I just know that for good, bad or ugly, I appreciate all those individuals and countries around the world who feel as we do.

sunspot

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
PhotonBoy said:<snip>In another 50 years, we'll all probably become states of a worldwide nation.

[/ QUOTE ]I pray that will not happen. The UN needs to be dissolved. www.getusout.org

BuddTX

Flashlight Enthusiast
Remember, we CANNOT get admited into the Federation of Planets, until we have one uniform government for the entire planet!

That, and we need Warp capability.

I am betting that Warp drive becomes a reality long before we have a single unified government for the entire world!

UK Owl

Enlightened
If the UK becomes a fully integrated part of the U.S.A. or even a U.S.E. you can bet we will not see the benefits enjoyed through lower taxation in these countries.

LEDmodMan

Flashaholic*
Truely Sasha, zat vas great!!!
happy32.gif

arioch

Enlightened
Sasha;

Vords kanot expres ze lafter yu hav brut her ...

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowdown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon6.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yellowlaugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinser2.gif

brightnorm

Flashaholic
Sasha,

That was bloody brilliant! I can hardly believe you just made that up on the spot. In fact, if you did it suggests that:

1) You're a good chess player

2) You're a talented tactician, possibly gifted strategically as well

3) You're an excellent driver, able to anticipate situations. You have quick reaction times

4) You have a good sense of spatial relations

5) You are not easily thrown off balance or disorientated by change, and are not easily overwhelmed by the necessity to make decisions.

Even if you are not the author of the piece I believe that much of this incomplete list would apply to you. What do you think?

Brightnorm