L4 with dust on reflector - removed.

LightChucker

Enlightened
I love the performance of my L4, but the little specks of dust on the reflector bothered me. No, I couldn't see any effect in the beam - it just annoyed me. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif

So, I removed the lens retainer and did a thorough cleaning. Now it's all clean, and no specks of dust in there.

The retainer had obviously been thread-locked in place, but it gave under the pressure of two rubber strap wrenches. It was interesting to me that the lens is sandwiched between two very thin, rubber-like gaskets. Before reassembling the light, I scraped the thread locking compound from both threads using a scratch awl from a tri-square. Then, I applied a thin coat of lube, and gently hand-tightened everything together again.

Chuck /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
Very good point Darell. I must caution everyone when it comes to "cleaning" the reflector. I'm speaking from experience with the E2E reflectors, so I'm assuming the same holds true for all SF reflectors. Those things scratch, buff and smear very easily. I destroyed 2-E2E bezels as a result of cleaning the reflectors with a dry tissue and the another with a dry cotton T-shirt. Be careful.

FlashlightOCD

Enlightened
Wouldn't one of those camera lens brushes do the job without damaging the reflector?

I haven't tried it, but those brushes are very soft, seems like it might work.

LightChucker

Enlightened
No secret, Darell. I used a Puffs tissue that was dampened with denatured alcohol. I used the same on the lens too. No harm at all - looks perfect.

Maybe I was just lucky. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif

Chuck

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
ChuckDecker said:
No secret, Darell. I used a Puffs tissue that was dampened with denatured alcohol. I used the same on the lens too. No harm at all - looks perfect.

Maybe I was just lucky. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif

Chuck

.... with or without lotion?

[/ QUOTE ] /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

LightChucker

Enlightened
No lotion, because the lens didn't look chapped.

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hahaha.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hahaha.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hahaha.gif

Chuck

chris1

Newly Enlightened
Chuck,

I had been toying with the very same idea. I have two L4's. Both were missing the gaskets. One was exposed to water in the "shower"! The other was considerably more yellow than the first. Both lights went back to SF, I did get a much whiter one back in regard to the 2cnd light. The first light, however, had water spots on the inside of the lens. I was considering sending this one back for a second time, but since you did it, so did I. Lens is crystal clear now and I have two "perfect" L4's. Thanks for the post.

Rothrandir

Flashaholic
jeez, every experience with attempting to clean reflectors (mags luckily! (still dissapointing though /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif ), resulted in scratches...

i've tried so many things...i wouldn't even considering toughing another reflector with anything but air... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif

LightChucker

Enlightened
sflate,

The lens would be replaceable if you had one to replace it with. The lens is cushioned on both sides with a veeeery thin rubber-like washer. The one to the front is so small, I almost did not see it. The one to the rear is larger. Be careful, and use a tweezer to remove them.

When I put it back together, I applied lubricant to the male threads of the bezel. I also smeard a thin coat on the edge of the bezel. I did this to encourage the metal to slide over the washer as it was tightened rather than stick to it. My concern was that the washer would bunch up and squirm out of position as the lens retainer was twisted.

It all worked well, and no more dust. Good luck to you if you try this. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Chuck

wualta

Newly Enlightened
In these days of fancypants antireflection coatings and other delicate optical surfaces... and on *flashlights*, fer cryin' out loud... we'd do well to listen to our experienced 35mm camera jockey friends and hie to the local camera shop and pick up some real lens tissue-- ask to be shown the proper technique-- some lens cleaner, and maybe one of those cheap blower-brushes (a soft brush with a squeeze bulb attached). Pick up a can of "canned air" while you're at it.

Cosmetic brushes work well too, but I'd degrease them first with a little acetone, especially if they've been used.

Aluminized reflectors are indeed delicate, even more so if they're made of plastic. A spritz with some "canned air" should be the first line of attack in case of dust. Use common sense: avoid solvents, spit, excessive pressure, gelignite, etc, etc.

Learning good lens cleaning technique will come in handy for your expensive eyeglasses, cameras, CD players and the like. Just tell your wife you don't do windows.

Walt Brand

------------

Let it dry and flake off? That's how my boys treat their dirty dishes.

brightnorm

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
ChuckDecker said:

Chuck

[/ QUOTE ]

Chuck,

I have rubbing alcohol, 70% ethyl. Is that "denatured" alcohol?

Brightnorm

LightChucker

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
brightnorm said:
[ QUOTE ]
ChuckDecker said:

Chuck

[/ QUOTE ]

Chuck,

Brightnorm

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmmm, not exactly, but probably close. It would probably work. If it leaves a film on the reflector or lens you can wash it off with water. You can get denatured alcohol at any hardware store.

Good luck,

Chuck (Hey, that rymes.) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Double_A

Flashlight Enthusiast
This is exactly why I prefer the original Surefires with the lamp and reflector as a unit. When you change the lamp you have a new reflector. I bought a C3 in the last 90 days to replace my old 9P. With the LED heads however I would have assumed my concerns were now a mute point (no lamps to replace) I guess not.

GregR

P.S. Clean dry air or Nitrogen works well.

brightnorm

Flashaholic
[ QUOTE ]
ChuckDecker said:
[ QUOTE ]
brightnorm said:
[ QUOTE ]
ChuckDecker said:

Chuck

[/ QUOTE ]

Chuck,

Brightnorm

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmmm, not exactly, but probably close. It would probably work. If it leaves a film on the reflector or lens you can wash it off with water. You can get denatured alcohol at any hardware store.

Good luck,

Chuck (Hey, that rymes.) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks Chuck

BN

Darell

Flashaholic
I'm with Ray here - scares the hell out of me to touch these things. I've destroyed too many of them. I've successfully used compressed air to clean my L4s however. I have NO problem in cleaning the glass lenses. Those are pretty tough.

Thanks for all the pointers.