MagCharger P7 mod?

SmurfTacular

Enlightened
So my whole family knows that i'm a laser/flashaholic, and they have all seen my P7 mags I have, and there all amazed on how bright they are.
I told my relatives that I could easily mod a Maglite with a P7, I have all the required parts. My uncle told me that he has a MagCharger, and he wants me to mod it with a P7 for him. At the time I never heard of a MagCharger before. After some research I learned more about it, and that it has on board electronics.
Is it a completely different flashlight? How different are the internals? Will H22A's heatsink fit inside? Has anyone done this before? How would I go about modding this? Because I dont want to open it, cut it up, then not be able to do it.
All help is appreciated :D

Last edited:

blackdragonx1186

Newly Enlightened
I googled it and it appears to be a normal maglite with a rechargeable battery inside, with contact points on the outside. I messed with one in person, but its been quite a while and I cant quite remember if there was anything special about it. I also looked at the replacement bulb, and its a bi-pin bulb, unlike their standard type.

Tidra

Enlightened
MagCharger has a totally different head and switch unit, so you will have to take it apart and check everything. Standard P7 Mag D heatsink does not fit.

The biggest problem is where to put the driver,... because of that TerraLUX use this easy upgrade to cca 700 Lum,... and quite frankly it is price performance in compare to SSC P7 upgrade if it is possible at all,...

http://www.terraluxcorp.com/terralux/Products/Portable/Upgrades/TLE300MREX/tabid/87/Default.aspx

The only think is lack of focusing the beam.

Firecop

Newly Enlightened
I just recently did this for my co-worker using an MC-E. It's quite easy and fairly cheap. His was an old one, and I didn't see any electronics inside. Maybe it is the charging system?

Unscrew the bezel, pop out the reflector and its housing; you won't be using the stock reflector. Just place a 1/8" aluminum disk on the lip inside the head and AA the emitter to one side and the driver to the other. Cut down the switch post to solder the wires, and you'll have a very nice, cheap mod in about 20 minutes.

I used DX's P7 driver and their MC-E reflector - the reflector fits in perfectly and lets the bezel screw down.

Email (Not PM) me if you need a disk - I bought a bunch for $2 each.

Tidra

Enlightened
I agree with "Firecop" but my idea was to use stock reflector and function of zooming,...

LP
I.