Cheap LSs?

ResQTech

Flashlight Enthusiast
Anyone know where i can get some (8 to 12) cheap Luxeon Stars? I dont care too much about color since Im putting them behind a blue lens, but I need them to be bright.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
I was at the Seafair torchlight parade (a Seattle thing) last night, and leading off the parade were a bunch of cops on their police motorcycles. And instead of xenon strobes behind blue & red lenses, they had blue and red LEDs!!!

On the front, there were round "bulb holders" that had round PCBs filled with LEDs. On the sides of the rear saddlebags, there were rectangular things with blue LEDs in one and red LEDs in the other. On the sides of the gas tank, there were smaller rectangular holders with red LEDs on one side, and blue LEDs on the other. And there were two blue LEDs lighting up the seat from behind.
All of them except for the pair of blue LEDs behind the seat strobed and flashed in an alternate manner (two or three different patterns); though I don't know where the microcontroller was stashed.

paulr

Flashaholic
MTF, if you want blue light from LED's, use blue LED's, not white LED's behind a blue lens.

ResQTech

Flashlight Enthusiast
The reason Im using whites behind a blue lense is because I have these lamps with blue lenses that Luxeons would fit perfectly into. Im doing this to make the construction more simple, it'd be more difficult with blue LEDs.

About those LEDs on motorcycles, here's a link to the ones they probably had. They use 3 luxeons per led cluster, but the blue lightbars are EXPENSIVE! http://www.911ep.com/

Entropy

Enlightened
How would it be more difficult with blue LEDs, given that they are physically identical?

You can use blue LEDs and still keep the blue lens. They will be MUCH more efficient, since white LEDs are essentially blue LEDs driving a fluorescent phosphor - If you use blue LEDs, you are simply eliminating that phosphor and all of the wasted light that the phosphors would emit only to be absorbed by the blue lens.