Nitecore D10 internals: '14'? -and ss14 question

RedForest UK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yesterday I modded my D10 GDP to a Cree Q3 xp-e emitter, everything went successfully, apart from a slight centering issue with the led.

However, I decided that I would take it all apart again to re-center the led die, that went fine as well, but while putting the pill back in the head of the light I slipped and knocked the black plastic housing off of part of the driver board.. :ohgeez: The final result being that I have a perfectly centered and great light, which doesn't work at all. :shakehead

I have been reading up on other threads about similar problems, but it seems that the circuit boards on D10's do differ. In the pictures, even of the same gdp model, the exact circuitry seems to be slightly different. So I'm really hoping that someone on cpf will be able to help, especially due to the huge success of the D10 in general so many people are very familiar with them. The bit that I knocked off was labelled '14' and was in the place of the part marked 'sl-03' in this picture of a gdp's circuit: http://img212.imageshack.us/i/d10gdpao3.jpg/

Here is a picture of a D10 circuit with the same '14' part, although for some reason this is a picture of an R2 versions circuit, the component is as far as I can tell the same: http://koti.mbnet.fi/winx/D10.R2.smd.jpg

If anyone can give me any idea of if this is possible to fix or not, and if it isnt then where I could possibly source a replacement (I am hopeful that it should be possible to replace as it appears to be a set component that has been soldered onto the board) or in fact any sort of identification of the part in question, then I will be really grateful, I really do need some help on this one. :sick:

Many thanks in advance.

RF

Last edited:

Mr Happy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Nitecore D10 internals: '14' ?

The bit you knocked off is probably a coil and "14" is its value. I think 14 is read as 1 with 4 zeros, i.e. 10,000 µH. If that is so, you will want to find an inductor of the same physical size with the same or similar rating.

RedForest UK

Flashlight Enthusiast

Hi, thanks for the help. :thumbsup:

Just to clarify though, can a coil be used as a general term?

It's just that when I knocked it off of the board it broke open and there is definately no sign of any physical coil within the component. It actually looks to be one tiny silver conductive metal sheet soldered to one connection on the board, which goes up and then connects via a very thin layer of something else to another metal sheet of what appears to be copper, which is in turn soldered to the other connection on the circuit board.. :thinking:

I'm guessing that you're probably right though and that it is an inductor, but with a slightly different way of working, does that make sense?

By the way, on the other D10 circuit boards it appears to be a similar component but labelled differently: SL-50 and SL-03 respectively, does that help confirm what it is at all?

Thanks

Last edited:

Mr Happy

Flashlight Enthusiast

That description makes it seem more like a capacitor. However, a boost driver needs to include an inductor somewhere. Maybe the inductor is on the other side of the circuit board? My first answer was just a guess as none of the other components look like inductors to me.

RedForest UK

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thanks, having looked into it, I am now pretty certain that it is actually an 'ss14' schottky diode. I'm guessing that the inductor coil is on the other side of the circuit board. Unfortunately I'm not really any sort of electronics expert and am having a bit of trouble locating an ss14 schottky diode :thinking:

Could anyone help explain to me what exactly it does, or whether it will be possible to replace with maybe an ss12 diode, or should I be very specific.

As I understand it the diode lowers the vf of the current? As I have changed the led to a cree q3 would that in fact mean that a different vf would be needed and so possibly a different diode, such as the sl-03 used in the cree q5 one? Or should I just use another ss14 to be sure?

[I have been looking for replacement diodes and found something here from Hong Kong on a certain auction website, It certainly does look incredibly similar as far as I can see..

I've also found this diode as well and this one is described as 2A in comparison to the 1A of the original ss14 one. I'm not exactly what exactly this figure relates to however? Before the problem my D10 pulled 2.3A from a 1.2v AA cell, and I was wondering if the 1A limit would inhibit this current draw, or if the 1A value refers to what it converts the current to after it passes through the diode?]

EDIT: However, I have now found the data sheets for these modules and they are listed as being over 4mm long, I'm looking for a diode that is about 3mm long, so I don't think these ones will be usable for me. :sigh:

I believe that this one is the right size although possibly a bit small, (It appears I'm looking for a 1.7mm x 3.4mm diode) but if anyone could clarify if it would be an acceptable replacement that would be great. Here is the data sheet for it.

I have also found the data sheet for the sl-03 version as shown this D10 picture. This is currently my favourite option. Do you think that would be a suitable replacement seeing as it is used in other D10 GDP circuit boards?

Im really sorry for the awkward questions and very grateful for anyones continued help.

(NB: Mods please acknowledge that the links in this thread are not advertising in any form, in fact as far as I know there is no-one else on this forum looking for the same component, so please don't remove them, thanks.)

Last edited:

Linger

Flashlight Enthusiast

ss14 could be removed from another board and donated. Many flashlight driver's have them and if you look through pictures on dealextreme or any other site and you can definately find that component which you could salvage.
Someone may even have one to donate off a dead / spare board.
(I'd suggest my entire post be your 'last resort' options and hopefully someone will post with a suggestion that mouser or somewhere has them for sale.)

RedForest UK

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks, yh I had considered that but thought it was quite a lot of trouble. I have ordered two of the 'SL-03' boards, which seem compatible or even interchangeable, as pictures of another D10 GDP show them being used in the same place. So hopefully that should work out alright.

I also have found a very helpful ebay vendor who is willing to look at his sources to try and find the exact '14' marked one that I had, so if the 'SL-03' isnt compatible then thats my next resort. If he cant source them then I guess I will be looking at cheap DX lights to salvage it off like you suggest. But hopefully it wont come to that ;)