which led bulbs... 3v... or 6v

johnlvs2run

Newly Enlightened
I'm replacing the bulbs in flashlights that run on two 1.5v AA batteries.

The current bulbs are 2.5v e10 incandescents, but the bulbs I want to get are either 6, 9, or 12v.

Would 6v led e10 bulbs work well with the two 1.5v AA batteries?

gcbryan

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm replacing the bulbs in flashlights that run on two 1.5v AA batteries.

The current bulbs are 2.5v e10 incandescents, but the bulbs I want to get are either 6, 9, or 12v.

Would 6v led e10 bulbs work well with the two 1.5v AA batteries?

I don't understand your question (maybe it's just me). You have an incandescent flashlight that is powered by 3 v (2*1.5V) batteries.

Currently you are using a 2.5 V bulb but now you want to use 6,9, or 12 volts...why? How can you use those with your present battery/flashlight combination?

Then you talk about led bulbs. Leds aren't bulbs and I'm not aware of any 6V led's. If there were however you would have to use a driver to boost your 3 v battery supply to 6 V but again I'm not even aware of a 6 V led.

Maybe I'm missing something and if I am please correct me.

johnlvs2run

Newly Enlightened
Sure, 6v led e10's are available on ebay, but 3v are not.

That is why I am asking if I can use the 6v led e10's instead of 3v.

AnAppleSnail

Flashlight Enthusiast
Sure, 6v led e10's are available on ebay, but 3v are not.

That is why I am asking if I can use the 6v led e10's instead of 3v.
These look about right. There's no telling if you'll find the right brightness, E10 seems to be a threading size on the back rather than a bulb description. I don't think lithiums will kill it on voltage alone.

Edit: See the next post.

Last edited:

JCD

Enlightened
Let's back up a step. Exactly what flashlight do you have?

Generally speaking, if a flashlight is running on 2x AA cells, that means it is a 3 V flashlight. Any replacement emitter must accept 3 V. Trying to run a 6, 9, or 12 V emitter with only 3V isn't likely to work well, if it works at all.

johnlvs2run

Newly Enlightened
Let's back up a step. Exactly what flashlight do you have?

They are a set of four push on type lights, each with two AA batteries.
I got a previous set that have led bulbs that work great. However these turned out
to have incandescents, so they run down rapidly and I'd like to replace them with led's if possible.

Generally speaking, if a flashlight is running on 2x AA cells, that means it is a 3 V flashlight. Any replacement emitter must accept 3 V. Trying to run a 6, 9, or 12 V emitter with only 3V isn't likely to work well, if it works at all.
These bulbs have an internal rectifier resister, whatever that means,
and I think are supposed to run on different voltages. I"m not sure though, which is why I am asking.

ronkar

Newly Enlightened
Last edited:

AlexLED

Enlightened
These look about right. There's no telling if you'll find the right brightness, E10 seems to be a threading size on the back rather than a bulb description. I don't think lithiums will kill it on voltage alone.

Edit: See the next post.

Uhm, they seem to be made for 12 volts - which seem to be a bit odd, I have to admit.

If your flashlight needs standard E10 screw in bulbs, I would strongly suggest these:
http://www.led-replacement.com/tle-1s.html

They work in 2-6 cells lights.

I screwed them into several flashlights and am very pleased ! Maybe not really 50 lumens, but certainly around 30 lm and therefore much brighter than standard e10 incan bulbs.

johnlvs2run

Newly Enlightened
I don't know the brand of the lights.

Are these the 6V E10 bulbs on ebay?

Yes, except red ones.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=290430440615

Thanks for all the replies.
The led's in the links provided are quite pricey, way more than the cost of the lights.
The original set, with led's, was only $4 for the set of them. Perhaps they are not really flashlights,
but just light up the house when it's dark, and are quite suitable for moving around.

The vendor has replied to my inquiry.
this can work in 3V flashlights.
I'm just looking for e10 led's that give similar output to the original incandescent bulbs.