Does you jetbeam m1x (V4) have a high pitch whine?

Does your jetbeam m1x (v4) have a inductor whine?

• No. No inductor whine at all.

Votes: 8 38.1%
  • Yes. A very prominent inductor whine

Votes: 7 33.3%
  • Yes. But the inductor whine is hardly noticeable

Votes: 6 28.6%

• Total voters

hazna

Enlightened
Recently I had received a sample of the jetbeam m1x V4 which had a very prominent inductor whine (high-pitch noise). I have read in places that inductor whine can vary between batches. In my sample the inductor whine seemed most prominent at 50% brightness, and would reduce as you move away from 50% (either higher or lower). At max output and minimum output, there is no noticeable noise. At 50% brightness, the high-pitch noise could easily be heard in quiet a room

I could not stand the high pitch noise as it would give a headache in quieter environments. I have since returned it to the seller. The seller has contacted jetbeam and has been advised this is considered normal. Apparently some of the other m1x samples the seller has, also suffer from this inductor whine.

I would like to see if other people have noticed the same problem with their m1x? Or have myself and the seller just had a bad run. Or am I being overly picky? (I do not believe I am, I could post a video to demonstrate the prominent inductor whine, if I setup a youtube account)

To keep things in perspective.... I have recently received a mini CR2, which I have found has inductor whine on low and medium modes. The noise for this does not bother me at all, and can only be heard when I hold it up to my ear. If the m1x was like this, I would find it acceptable.

Last edited:

jhc37013

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Poll: Does you jetbeam m1x (V4) have a high pitch whine?

I don't have the M1X but I have other lights that have it and I have grown to hate the buzz even more than a bad tint. It's never so loud that it's overbearing but once you hear it you know it's there and it sticks out like a sore thumb ever time you turn it on.

rlorion

Newly Enlightened

I don't have the Jetbeam M1x...but I do have an MG RX-1 that has a faint high pitch sound when it's on low and medium. I have to hold the flashlight close or be somewhere that's real quiet. :huh:

uknewbie

Banned

Nope. M1X V4, silent. My Fenix TK11 R2 however has very audible whine on high only. Rather annoying.

JeffInChi

Enlightened

I have an olight m30 triton that does has the same whine, doesn't bother me at all, but others have noticed it when things are queit.

hazna

Enlightened

Nope. M1X V4, silent. My Fenix TK11 R2 however has very audible whine on high only. Rather annoying.

How long along did you buy your m1x? Could you PM me which dealer you bought it from?

gilly

Enlightened
Mine is the same - very loud at 50%. I find that it doesn't bother me though - and I love the light - one of my favorites!

Good luck...

uknewbie

Banned

How long along did you buy your m1x? Could you PM me which dealer you bought it from?

I bought it from the MP from DimeRazorBack. Fom Australia don't know the dealer bought from originally sorry.

tx101

Flashlight Enthusiast
I got my v4 when they where first released from BOG
I can only hear the whine if I place the light right next to my ear

Fusion_m8

Flashlight Enthusiast
No audible whine on mine as hard I try to detect... :sssh: on low or max. I only ever run mine on 2x18650s. So running it on other battery configurations, I wouldn't know.

hazna

Enlightened
No audible whine on mine as hard I try to detect... :sssh: on low or max. I only ever run mine on 2x18650s. So running it on other battery configurations, I wouldn't know.

The inductor whine on my sample was present with 2x18650 and 3xcr123a. There was no inductor whine on low or max, but more so in the mid-brightness levels. Try setting your IBS mode to 50% and tell me what you find...

Cataract

Flashlight Enthusiast
The whine is very low on mine ... I had to hold it next to my ear to make sure it was actually coming from my flashlight. I also have a whine on my TK20, and it doesn't bother me at all. I wonder how loud yours might have been to be able to actually record it! I'm sure no microphone would be able to pick-up the whine on my lights...

Fusion_m8

Flashlight Enthusiast
OK... IBS set at 50%(when it flashes twice)... still no whine that I can hear.

The inductor whine on my sample was present with 2x18650 and 3xcr123a. There was no inductor whine on low or max, but more so in the mid-brightness levels. Try setting your IBS mode to 50% and tell me what you find...

mefistofele86

Newly Enlightened
Very prominent whine. I have to say that my sample was defective and i sent it back..
I'm very disappointed with JB. I like very much M1X but they have changed the reflector in V4. I was looking for a 2-stage reflector. I founded it but it's defective.. if i want a JB M1X now, i can buy only the V4 with "normal" reflector. Now M1X is not the great thrower then before.

DanTSX

Newly Enlightened
My SF LX2 has a buzz when I switch from low to hi.

Sorry to go off topic, but didn't want to start my own thread on it.

Sardaukar

Enlightened
I can hear the whine on my v3 switched to high, but only if I hold it near my ear, something I don't often find myself doing.